Capitol Limited??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ciship

Service Attendant
We are taking the CL from Chicago to Wash D.C.

I am always looking for trip reports, photos, info regarding the route on Capitol Limited. I read and see plenty regarding other trains, but rarely the Capitol Limited. Can anyone help me find some info regarding the #30 train??

Thanks!

I've ridden the Capitol Limited three times. Last time in 2002. Eastbound it always seems slow and the scenery after Pittsburgh is boring, unless you enjoy trees. Once you pass Harper's Ferry it gets better while traveling next to the Potomac River.

I've taken the Capital Ltd about 12 or 13 times and always enjoyed the trip. Take a look at the bridges in Cleveland and I think the other bridge was Toledo. They look really nice lit up at night. Harpers Ferry is rich in history. The confederate army camped up above, while the Union army was camped down below along the river. Also, Lewis and Clark ordered the guns from a manufacturer in Harpers Ferry. Even without the history, it's a beautiful, quaint town. I haven't taken the CL for 3 years and can't remember where the old round house is. Also, is it Martinsburg or Cumberland that has the oldest depot still in use in the U.S. I never found the trip boring.

You can also download Amtrak's guide to the Capitol Limited route by clicking here. Note: You'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to view the page.

This is the guide typically handed out in the sleeping cars, but occasionally you won't find one there. So you may still wish to print it out, and if you're riding coach, then you should definately print it out and bring it with you.

A slightly older version of the guide can be found here on TrainWeb.

PERFECT! I've enjoyed reading all of this and getting the links and tips. Thank you!!

Also, is it Martinsburg or Cumberland that has the oldest depot still in use in the U.S. I never found the trip boring.
Martinsburg. The Cumberland facility is in a corner of the monolithic Postal building which replaced the historic Queen City Hotel in the mid 1970's.

Yeah, the Cumberland MD Amtrak station is a Amshack close to the tracks and boring as heck. Spent a couple hours there waiting for the Capitol to Chicago.

Now the Western Maryland station where the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad is based is magnificent and well worth the time if you are stopped in Cumberland for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back