Capitol Ltd to WAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking the Capitol Limited to DC out of Toledo. Some of my questions have been answered on the recent Cardinal thread (definitely going to buy a pass on the DC transit system). We have gotten around Chicago using only the rail system and hope to do the same in DC.

Superliner equipment vs. looks like the Card is Viewliner. Return time to Toledo is 5 am... ugh... not familiar with the Toledo station, is it staffed? Any place to grab a quick breakfast? If not I'll pack granola bars or something for the kids. We have an hour layover waiting for the bus back to Michigan. On the trip there, the bus arrives at 10p and the Cap is scheduled at 11p so that isn't bad. The friendly ticket agent did advise that it might be a little late ^_^

Since arrival time into DC is 1240, is lunch available in the diner?

It's a bit confusing to me, but it looks like Union station, is connected to the DC transit station?

Scouting out places to stay but I will check the appropriate forum for any posts there,

I've read on here that it's a brunch on the CL into WAS.

Yes, the Metro (Red line) is right there at Union Station. Most likely it will be on the "other side" of the gates when you walk into the station (near the men's room).

In Union Station you will walk past a pizza place before you get to the escalator down to the METRO. McDonald's is in the corner to the left of the Amtrak gates.

Good luck on finding a place that will check you in before 3PM. They may hold your luggage until check in time while you go out for a walk on the Mall.

It's a bit confusing to me, but it looks like Union station, is connected to the DC transit station?
Yes, the Washington Metro is directly connected to Union Station.

There are 2 entrances to the station. The northern entrance (with elevator access) is located at the western end of the Amtrak/commuter rail concourse. When you get off the train, walk down the platform to the station. Once you enter the station, you're on the Amtrak Concourse. Turn right and walk past Sbarro all the way to the end of the corridor. There, you turn right and the Metro Station will be ahead through the sliding automatic glass doors.

The southern entrance is located just outside the front of Union Station at the western end of the portico. To get there from trains, exit the platform, walk straight ahead throught the Concourse and into the Ticketing Hall. Continue ahead into the Grand Hall. Once you're in the Grand Hall, turn right, and walk until you get to a set of doors leading outside. The Metro entrance will be right in front of you. There is no elevator at the southern entrance.

You can also get to the southern entrance from the lower level food court. The entrance is located at the western end of the food court.

Signage for getting to Metro within the station is pretty good.

Union Station is on the Metro Red Line.

In answer to some of your questions:

Yes, the Toledo station is a manned station with agents selling tickets, etc. It is a nice old station and there is parking nearby. Your bus should arrive in plenty of time as it is a connection to the Cap Ltd and Lake Shore trains leaving and arriving in Toledo. It is true that those trains can run late and thus, your wait in the station may be a bit longer than expected. I do not know of any eating establishments that close to the station. There are machines that can vend some snacks and drinks, but you may want to take your own goodies to eat while waiting. The eastbound Cap Ltd should be there around 11pm. The bus for the westbound trains will wait until the train arrives since, again, it is a connecting bus for Amtrak to Michigan.

As mentioned by others, the CL serves breakfast starting around 6am and continues to keep the diner open until it reaches Martinsburg, WV, around 10:30 or so. You can get sandwiches during that time if you prefer and if you eat a 6am breakfast you might be hungry by 10 or so. We usually are not and thus do not go back up to the diner for a burger. The lounge car is also open if you are not a sleeper passenger and want something to eat.

There are all kinds of places to eat in the Washington DC Union Station food court so we usually eat lunch there.

As far as hotels, they are usually pretty expensive in DC proper. We have stayed at the Hyatt on weekends for around $125 but during the week it is high end. Usually we stay in Rockville/Gaithersburg at the Comfort Inn at Shady Grove. It is the end of the Red Line and the hotel has a shuttle that will pick you up and take you to the station for the Red Line ride to DC. The ride takes around 40 minutes. Usually the rates there are less than $90 if you have AAA or AARP, etc.

A great breakfast and nice staff. You can stay closer and perhaps there are places in Arlington or Alexandria that are cheaper but we prefer this place, which has won numerous awards from Comfort Inns.

Its on the Red Line, but only two stops away is a major transfer station. Red line is a big U shape that runs in from MD and ducks back out pretty fast. Its not very useful for actually getting around DC.

Riding this train several times a month, its definently better than the Cardinal. They do have a lunch menu even though it is not offered either direction. (The 29 to Chicago departs ~4p and gets there the next day in the morning. What they say is if you eat breakfast early enough to where you're hungry again, you can go in and order lunch, its just unadvertised.

This list may help you in finding a hotel that is within walking distance of a Metro rail line or where the hotel provides a shuttle to/from the station. You might get lucky downtown, but I wouldn't bet on it. I'd look out near the airport/Crystal City area, as they often have good deals on rooms.

In answer to some of your questions:
Yes, the Toledo station is a manned station with agents selling tickets, etc. It is a nice old station and there is parking nearby. Your bus should arrive in plenty of time as it is a connection to the Cap Ltd and Lake Shore trains leaving and arriving in Toledo. It is true that those trains can run late and thus, your wait in the station may be a bit longer than expected. I do not know of any eating establishments that close to the station. There are machines that can vend some snacks and drinks, but you may want to take your own goodies to eat while waiting. The eastbound Cap Ltd should be there around 11pm. The bus for the westbound trains will wait until the train arrives since, again, it is a connecting bus for Amtrak to Michigan.

As mentioned by others, the CL serves breakfast starting around 6am and continues to keep the diner open until it reaches Martinsburg, WV, around 10:30 or so. You can get sandwiches during that time if you prefer and if you eat a 6am breakfast you might be hungry by 10 or so. We usually are not and thus do not go back up to the diner for a burger. The lounge car is also open if you are not a sleeper passenger and want something to eat.

There are all kinds of places to eat in the Washington DC Union Station food court so we usually eat lunch there.

As far as hotels, they are usually pretty expensive in DC proper. We have stayed at the Hyatt on weekends for around $125 but during the week it is high end. Usually we stay in Rockville/Gaithersburg at the Comfort Inn at Shady Grove. It is the end of the Red Line and the hotel has a shuttle that will pick you up and take you to the station for the Red Line ride to DC. The ride takes around 40 minutes. Usually the rates there are less than $90 if you have AAA or AARP, etc.

A great breakfast and nice staff. You can stay closer and perhaps there are places in Arlington or Alexandria that are cheaper but we prefer this place, which has won numerous awards from Comfort Inns.
The Hyatt can be a really good deal on a weekend in the winter. The Hyatt Regency is close to Union Station and the US Capital and the museums, Mall etc Plus a good area for food. But I would think it is quite high on a weekday night due to demand.

There are some good deals in Roslyn and Crystal City, VA - both are good locations.

I was just up there for ABC News (Washington Bureau) to cover the Inauguration, and they put us up at the Pentagon City Sheraton. It was really nice, and very close to the city. Check their rates...

BTW - The Capital Limited is a nice train. Check out the view at Harpers Ferry, WV - which is one of the last stops you make before DC. I really like that stretch along the rocky Potomac with the mountain views.

Try to be well situated in the Sightseer lounge upon arriving at Harpers Ferry. From there up to Point of Rocks station is nice scenery. At Point of Rocks, MD (not a stop), the old B & O mainline splits - with most of the freight traffic going on the north fork to Baltimore. The Cap Limited takes the southern fork at the Point of Rocks switch to go onto the mainline to Washington.

BTW - The Capital Limited is a nice train. Check out the view at Harpers Ferry, WV - which is one of the last stops you make before DC. I really like that stretch along the rocky Potomac with the mountain views.
Try to be well situated in the Sightseer lounge upon arriving at Harpers Ferry. From there up to Point of Rocks station is nice scenery. At Point of Rocks, MD (not a stop), the old B & O mainline splits - with most of the freight traffic going on the north fork to Baltimore. The Cap Limited takes the southern fork at the Point of Rocks switch to go onto the mainline to Washington.
When I am on there they even announce when good scenery is coming and slow the train down to take some good pictures from the sightseer lounge.

lol, I wouldn't think that would be the reason, but when they announce the best scenery, they stop it several times, and slowly speed up to about 5MPH.

Might it be the very old tracks and bridges we ride across?

lol, I wouldn't think that would be the reason, but when they announce the best scenery, they stop it several times, and slowly speed up to about 5MPH.
Might it be the very old tracks and bridges we ride across?
Maybe they're announcing the "best scenery" because they know they have to slow down and this is just an "excuse" for the slow down...or as a "joke".

Maybe the train runs slowest in the places with the best scenery because the track repair teams also admire the scenery rather than fix the track?

:) :giggle:

Is the DC rail system similar to Chicago's "L", a combination of subway and above-ground rail? We once got a very interesting tour of Chicago neighborhoods, crisscrossing the Chicago river, just riding the L train around. Regardless, I'm thinking the unlimited rail pass in DC is the best bet, for a 5 day stay. As long as you can transfer to different lines, etc.

Thanks also for the hotel tips everyone, seeing deals in Crystal city especially where the weekend rates kick in.

Is the DC rail system similar to Chicago's "L", a combination of subway and above-ground rail? We once got a very interesting tour of Chicago neighborhoods, crisscrossing the Chicago river, just riding the L train around. Regardless, I'm thinking the unlimited rail pass in DC is the best bet, for a 5 day stay. As long as you can transfer to different lines, etc.Thanks also for the hotel tips everyone, seeing deals in Crystal city especially where the weekend rates kick in.
It's a mix, but all lines in downtown DC are completely underground.

Also remember that the unlimited rail pass can't be used on buses, which is also a great (and cheaper) way of sightseeing, especially in areas not easily accessible by rail.

Those passes are SO expensive, but it is what it is...lol. I think the 7 day was ~$70-90. The 30 was $230! which is insane compared to Chicago 30 days of $78 and Minneapolis 31-day of $59. You really notice the dramatic cost of living when you travel the states, :p

If you're not walking on an escalator on the Metro, stand on the right. We get angry fast about that one.

Although there's like a 1 in 5 shot the escalator is broken anyhow.

Hi- We stayed at the Hyatt Capitol Hill in Nov. and it was only $105! Very comfortable and within walking distance of many sites- plus near Union Station. Hope the rates are still low.

Is the DC rail system similar to Chicago's "L", a combination of subway and above-ground rail? We once got a very interesting tour of Chicago neighborhoods, crisscrossing the Chicago river, just riding the L train around. Regardless, I'm thinking the unlimited rail pass in DC is the best bet, for a 5 day stay. As long as you can transfer to different lines, etc.Thanks also for the hotel tips everyone, seeing deals in Crystal city especially where the weekend rates kick in.
50 miles of the DC Metro is underground, most of the rest runs at ground level. The only extended segment in DC that is above ground and mostly elevated is the Red Line north of Union Station and I would not regard it as showing much of the surrounding neighborhoods. The Yellow line crosses the Potomac on a bridge and that provide a brief view of the river, Washington Monument off to the NW before it goes underground to the Pentagon stop. The Yellow/Blue line is mostly elevated from Reagan National Airport to King Street/Old Town Alexandria. If your experience is Chicago L or the NYC subway, the DC Metro underground stations are noteworthy because of the open vaulted design, heavy use of concrete, and indirect lighting which has gotten rather dim in many of the core stations recent years. Wikpedia picture of the Metro Center Red Line level.

If you are not sure where the entrances are for the Metro stations, WMATA has PDF maps on their website under the stations info page showing where the escalators and elevators are for each stations. The elevators can sometimes be rather hard to locate. If you are visiting over a weekend, you should check the WMATA website for weekend track work schedule to be aware of where the disruptions will be.

And stand to the right on the escalators to allow people in a hurry to walk up or down.

IMHO the scenery on #30 is great from the time it gets light out until one gets into the DC burbs around Gaithersburg. The Potomac River Valley is one pretty place.

If you are staying over a weekend, which it sounds like you are, be aware that the Metro system often preforms track work on weekends and there can be significant delays, bustitutions, etc. on anywhere from none to all of the Metro lines. This is particularly true the further from downtown one gets, so finding a good room rate downtown will save you from dealing with some potentially significant delays on Metro. As an example of the delays one can encounter, one Sunday night in December it took me one and a half hours to go from Union Station to King St. in Alexandria! :angry2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back