Car access (moving between cars on Superliner)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a sleeping car passenger who has paid mightily for the "privilege," I should have the right to invite and accompany a coach passenger to my room. Not to use a bed, but maybe to just sit and talk, share a drink, play cards, etc. Usually this is not an issue for a SCA; in fact often they are not even aware. A couple of times it has been an issue. I asked the SCA each time to go get a "supervisor" so we could resolve it. Both times, that request caused the SCA to let my guest pass. YMMV.

Sometimes you just have to stand up for what you believe to be your rights. There are plenty of SCAs who are not on ego trips. A few are.
If you want them to enjoy your sleeper, change your/their reservation and add them to your sleeper ticket. Having passengers who aren't sleeper ticketed hang out in the sleeper car can cause confusion with the diner staff (the DC staff might assume a person gets free meals if they came out of a sleeper). There might be problems with 'visitors' accessing the showers or beverage stand. It's just a liability for Amtrak for passengers to just let any one in.

Have pax meet in the lounge, and everything becomes so much easier.

I'm not really sure that's a "right"... I feel like it should be up to the crew to use a little common sense in that area. Meaning... if there are extended family members in both coach and sleeper, it certainly makes sense for family to be able to visit now and then, especially if the room is larger than a roomette.
From past experience, I am 100$ against allowing coach passengers into the sleeper cars.

On one of my trips, the roomette next to mine, was apparently bought by a group from coach. They spent the night "tag team" sleeping in the roomette.

About once an hour, someone from coach would come to roomette, and pound on the door to wake up the current occupant so they would swap. Of course, the roomette's door would slam shut too. This went on, all night long.

I am sure you all here would simply claim they had a right to have their "family" come from coach to "visit" them in their sleeper. But you are so very wrong.

If someone from coach wants to enjoy a room, have some juice, have some coffee, have some water, enjoy a quick shower, then they should buy a sleeper ticket.

I'm not really sure that's a "right"... I feel like it should be up to the crew to use a little common sense in that area. Meaning... if there are extended family members in both coach and sleeper, it certainly makes sense for family to be able to visit now and then, especially if the room is larger than a roomette.
From past experience, I am 100$ against allowing coach passengers into the sleeper cars.On one of my trips, the roomette next to mine, was apparently bought by a group from coach. They spent the night "tag team" sleeping in the roomette.About once an hour, someone from coach would come to roomette, and pound on the door to wake up the current occupant so they would swap. Of course, the roomette's door would slam shut too. This went on, all night long.I am sure you all here would simply claim they had a right to have their "family" come from coach to "visit" them in their sleeper. But you are so very wrong.If someone from coach wants to enjoy a room, have some juice, have some coffee, have some water, enjoy a quick shower, then they should buy a sleeper ticket.
I've heard plenty of stories about that kind of thing happening. If I pay for a sleeper ticket, I want to be able to sleep without getting constantly woken up by a bunch of coach pax gaming the system.

Back