Car rental in Detroit

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

boston mike

Hi,

Have a need to get from Chicago to Detroit and will need a rental car on arrival.

Expect to arrive at 7:20 PM.

Any options near the Detroit train station? Are there any stops earlier than Detroit that have better options as it looks like there is nothing around the train station? I go to Troy that evening, and then drop the car at Wayne Airport for the return to Boston.

Preferred corporate rental company is Avis, BTW.

Hope you can help.....Mike

Google Maps is showing an Enterprise location about a half mile away (General Motors headquarters in fact) with an estimated walking time of 9 minutes. However, it's closed at 6 PM weekdays, noon saturdays, and closed all day Sunday. That's just how it is with off-airport locations.

http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=2037&bid=004&cnty=US

Your best bet might be to get to Wayne County Airport. I timed a bus ride taking about 2 hours with two transfers. You can probably take a cab faster than that.

If you want to get to troy stay on the train longer and get off in Birmingham (BMM) and take a cab. Then the next day catch the train again in BMM to chicago.

There are also car rental locations reasonably close to the Dearborn and Ann Arbor stations, but as BCL notes, hours are limited. It would be easy enough if you were on train 350 rather than 352. If you're headed to Boston next you can return the car, catch the Thruway bus from ARB/DER/DET to Toledo, and board the Lake Shore Limited.

Google Maps is showing an Enterprise location about a half mile away (General Motors headquarters in fact) with an estimated walking time of 9 minutes. However, it's closed at 6 PM weekdays, noon saturdays, and closed all day Sunday. That's just how it is with off-airport locations.
http://www.enterprise.com/car_rental/deeplinkmap.do?gpbr=2037&bid=004&cnty=US
I would still call the Enterprise location directly, and ask. I am sure you aren't their first person arriving on Amtrak after their official closing hours. While it was at another location, that Enterprise made arrangements to leave the rental car at a nearby hotel, the keys/contract at the hotel's front desk, and a taxi to take me from the Amtrak station to the hotel ("we'll pick you up").

If you want to get to troy stay on the train longer and get off in Birmingham (BMM) and take a cab. Then the next day catch the train again in BMM to chicago.
This may work....there is a hotel 1.5 miles away I can stay for the night. Thanks for suggesting it.

Can I expect taxis at this station when I arrive or should I call ahead? The station description says it isn't much more than a platform. I will be on the arrival at ~7:20 PM.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back