Car rental near Oceanside, CA Amtrak station...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronbo

Lead Service Attendant
Does anyone here have any experience with renting a car near the Amtrak station in Oceanside, CA?

Looking to ride the Surfliner from Santa Barbara, renting a car and driving to Wildomar, and then back.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

You can call the rental car locations around the station and ask them if they can pick you up. I've done it many times, not in Oceanside but at other locations. Before you reserve with them just confirm with them. Another option I've been given is take a cab or uber, and they will credit the fare to your rental. Just make sure you get a receipt.

There's an Enterprise office a few blocks from the Oceanside station. Most Enterprise stations will pick you up and drop you off at Amtrak, if the timing matches when their office is open.

There's an Enterprise office a few blocks from the Oceanside station. Most Enterprise stations will pick you up and drop you off at Amtrak, if the timing matches when their office is open.
Thanks for that info, looks like it actually is within walking distance.

There is an Enterprise location in San Clemente. It's open 8-5 Mon-Sat and 9-noon on Sunday.
That's a long way from Oceanside, but thanks for the tip.
Yes, but it's a lot closer to Wildomar.
Actually it's not. I did a trip search on Google Maps:

Oceanside-Wildomar: 56 min. (43 mi.)

San Clemente-Wildomar: 1hr.3min. (43 mi.)

San Juan Capistrano-Wildomar: 51 min. (35 mi.)

Of course all depending on traffic! California, you never know!

Any car rentals in SNC ?

If you get off in San Clemente 34 minutes earlier than the Oceanside stop and have Enterprise pick you up. you should be in Wildomar at least 20 minutes earlier.

Route 74 over to Lake Elsinor and then turning right on Grand Avenue will take you to Wildomar. I didn't see any car rentals in San Juan Capistrano.

If you get off in San Clemente 34 minutes earlier than the Oceanside stop and have Enterprise pick you up. you should be in Wildomar at least 20 minutes earlier.Route 74 over to Lake Elsinor and then turning right on Grand Avenue will take you to Wildomar. I didn't see any car rentals in San Juan Capistrano.
Hey Tom, actually the reason I was thinking about leaving from Oceanside originally, was to see a little bit of the view right along the coast. I have never been there before. I'm not really trying to necessarily make it in the shortest amount of time.The only train I have ever been on is the Coast Starlight, SEA-SBA. Have you ever driven on either Hwy. 74 or 76 heading inland from these various cities?

I never rode a Surfliner south of LAX. The best ocean view IMO is through the Carpenteria area SE of Santa Barbara.

If you haven't seen enough of the ocean by the time you get to San Clemente, you can drive down to the pier in Oceanside.

If you want to see RR's (and Nancy's) grave you can visit the Reagan Library in San Clemente.

If you get off in San Clemente 34 minutes earlier than the Oceanside stop and have Enterprise pick you up. you should be in Wildomar at least 20 minutes earlier.Route 74 over to Lake Elsinor and then turning right on Grand Avenue will take you to Wildomar. I didn't see any car rentals in San Juan Capistrano.
Hey Tom, actually the reason I was thinking about leaving from Oceanside originally, was to see a little bit of the view right along the coast. I have never been there before. I'm not really trying to necessarily make it in the shortest amount of time.The only train I have ever been on is the Coast Starlight, SEA-SBA. Have you ever driven on either Hwy. 74 or 76 heading inland from these various cities?
Well, if you really want to see the coast and get a taste of some very diverse areas, rent your car in Oxnard and drive down Highway 1! More to the point, 74 is nicer than 76, plus you want to stay off I-15 as much as possible (Tom Fuller has the right route).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back