Car rentals in San Marcos, Texas

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LDKarr

Train Attendant
I have lurked around here, occasionally, but I am a new member, and a first-time poster. So, if this has already been covered, and I missed it, I do apologize.

In January, I will be taking the Texas Eagle into San Marcos, Texas to visit family in south Texas. I am in search of a rental car in San Marcos, but every rental company I have found closes at 6pm -- the scheduled arrival time is right around 7:15 pm. Enterprise basically told me that I am SOL. It is an impossibility to arrange for an after-hours pick-up in San Marcos? If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much,

Loren

My guess is, yes-I'm arriving tonight into Austin, and it's the same story, all the downtown rental places close at 6-Train gets in at 6:30....so I'm basically having to pay whatever it takes to get a cab over to the airport to get the car, then do it all in reverse in a couple days. Biggest downside to train travel is what to do when you get there......

Some folks have suggest Hertz may be more aware of Amtrak in general and more willing to arrange after hours pickups in particular, so you might want to give them a try before you give up. San Marcos isn't very big and doesn't have a commercial airport with late rental hours, but it does sit about midway between two full sized cities that can provide you with a rental cars day or night. San Marcos is only a little more than a half hour south of Austin so maybe you'd be better off leaving the train a little early and getting your car there. In the case of Austin you're only asking local staff to stick around a half hour or so past closing time. That seems like a time frame that somebody would be willing to reconsider. Or you can stay on a little longer and pick up a car in San Antonio instead. As with Austin the local rental locations will be closed but the airport has rental cars late into the night and some airport locations are 24 hour operations. It's may be possible to have a rental company drop off a car at a downtown hotel and simply pickup your key at the desk.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Hertz Gold, a very frequent renter, and Hertz wouldn't even talk about staying late, or arranging a hotel drop in Austin. Get it by 6, get it the next morning, or don't get it at all. Enterprise has an arrangement in Austin to pick up cars after hours at the Four Seasons hotel. IF you're staying at the Four Seasons. Unfortunately, generous as my travel allowance and expense account is, it doesn't quite cover the Four Seasons at $440 a night. So, it's a cab to the airport tonight.

I'm Hertz Gold as well. Unless I misread the benefits that doesn't really mean much in this particular situation. Did you try calling the local rental locations or did you simply call the national reservations line? If you did call the local stores were you able to speak with a manager of some sort? I'd consider calling some of the downtown hotels (but maybe not the overpriced and underwhelming Four Seasons) and asking who they work with for planning after hours rentals. Maybe the hotel will help you set it up through their own channels. If not then call whoever their contact is and see what they may be willing to do for you. What's the worst that could happen?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes sir, called the local Hertz an Enterprise offices both. I have a long history with both, I rent with those two brands on average 100 days a year. No dice. Didn't call all hotels, other than the 4 Seasons, which has a Hertz desk at the concierge. It is what it is. Even with the cab over it still worked out a little less than flying, an I didn't lose complete productivity as if I drove. Worked out in the end.

Thanks for the information. It looks like it will be San Antonio rather than San Marcos -- maybe not a bad thing, anyway.

For what it's worth, I rented a car in Cut Bank MT on 5/31/12 from a car dealer in town. I paid in advance by credit card and the car was waiting for me in the Amtrak lot with the key in the gas cap flap. The rental agreement was above the sun visor for me to sign. I left it right where I found it about 23 hours later.

Try calling an auto dealership and ask where they suggest their customers rent when waranty work has to be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back