Cardinal #50 - Superliner Sleeper - Nov 18, 2017.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shanghai

Engineer
I saw on Facebook today a video of train #50 with a superliner sleeper. If this is true, will the sleeper

passengers be required to change to a Viewliner sleeper in WAS? If so, what happens to the passengers

in rooms 11 through 14 and the family room? Perhaps the entire FB post is a hoax!!

Sorry, the train would have departed Chicago yesterday, Nov 18.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trainorders reports that a bad ordered Viewliner sleeper required last minute substitution with a Superliner transition sleeper (roomettes only). The Superliner car will be taken off at Washington. Presumably, the sleeper passengers destined for points north of Washington will ride coach the rest of the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
If that was a current photo (not from past years - I have not seen it), then yes they would have to switch.

Are you sure it is not a sleeper from the Auto Train being ferried back from BG?
default_huh.png

Trainorders reports that a bad ordered Viewliner sleeper required last minute substitution with a Superliner transition sleeper (roomettes only). The Superliner car will be taken off at Washington. Presumably, the sleeper passengers destined for points north of Washington will ride coach the rest of the way.
I read the pax will be put in business class on regionals....I think. I read that so long ago, like this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Found it: Per Linda T (a fellow AUer). She was in the transdorm.

Yeah it's being used today by crew and revenue. Pax going beyond WAS will be put in business class, and transom will be removed in DC along with the diesel engine.

Kudos to Amtrak for creative thinking, rather than just downgrading all the passengers!
From reading the post on the book of face.. The SCA on the train Janice, refused for her pax to ride coach. Hence the Transdorm. The one thing I can tell you is that Janice is an absolute sweetheart and one of the best. I've had her and she sticks out cause of her belt buckle that says Amtrak.

Interesting, reversing the car for cafe car access. Easy drop in WAS off the rear.
Sadly. It was the opposite. I don’t know why, but the baggage car was behind the Transdorm. Which is a pain in the rear end when it comes to the engine change in DC. They’d have to do a double drill. So this double drill is worse. You have to pull the super liner and bag car off. Then set the Superliner out and return the bag to the train. The sleeper should have been either against the engine to avoid the double drill. Or the bag put on the head end. This must have been a cluster in DC.

I think I had Janice once. Is she the one who gives a stern memorable warning about leaving stuff out in your room? If not mine was a winner too. Both care about their pax.

I read the pax will be put in business class on regionals....I think. I read that so long ago, like this morning.

Ah, business class on a regional. Nothing to write home about, IMO.

Why would you move them to a regional at all? That involves potentially dealing with luggage that had been checked through, and the dinner meal? Card has limited BC space and AM2 coaches, I doubt they were sold out. They may have said "moved to BC" and that has been mis reported.

Why would you move them to a regional at all? That involves potentially dealing with luggage that had been checked through, and the dinner meal? Card has limited BC space and AM2 coaches, I doubt they were sold out. They may have said "moved to BC" and that has been mis reported.
You’re right. That’s probably what they did - see the post I made quoting my source.

I also had Janice, although she told me to call her "Momma J" so I'm glad to know her first name. The Amtrak belt buckle clued me in. She was great and caring. Glad to see she is fighting for her pax to get the transdorm.

Interesting, reversing the car for cafe car access. Easy drop in WAS off the rear.
Sadly. It was the opposite. I don’t know why, but the baggage car was behind the Transdorm. Which is a pain in the rear end when it comes to the engine change in DC. They’d have to do a double drill. So this double drill is worse. You have to pull the super liner and bag car off. Then set the Superliner out and return the bag to the train. The sleeper should have been either against the engine to avoid the double drill. Or the bag put on the head end. This must have been a cluster in DC.

It had to do with the pointing of the car. If you recall, transition cars require pointing. This was a last minute substitution so there wasn't time to wye the car and the obviously don't want passengers walking through the baggage car.

Passengers from the sleeping car traveling to points north of WAS moved to the split club business class car for the remainder of the trip.

All things considered, the train had a good run and the double drill cost the ma grand total of 8" over dwell in WAS.

I almost took #50 from CHI-NYP on November 18, but ended up flying instead! Missed out on a rare experience.
default_sad.png

Here's a vid for people who haven't seen it:

Back