Cardinal from CHI to CVS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauve850

OBS Chief
A commentary on my train 50 CHI to CVS trip. This is one of those not too much to comment about trip pro/con except it was an on time arrival in a sea of Amtrak delays. Definitely positive.

Arrived at the CHI lounge around 12:30. Downstairs packed while upstairs was open and quiet. Thins out a lot when afternoon trains board. No ice and a poor selection of snacks unless you really like whole wheat pretzels. Beer and other drinks were for sale. I stayed upstairs for a while, walked around outside and stopped for a beer in the food court. Also got some fresh ice for my soft side cooler at the bar. Some couple got married at the station that day.

The boarding instructions were only go down the hall turn right and head to track 28. Easy for me but a few folks went out the door and stopped like a deer in headlights. I suggested they just follow me. I had sleeper A in VL II. It was number 62513. The room was fine with really no rattles on the trip. Some wear is showing. Also had good neighbors in bedroom B. Friendly young attendant who took everyones dinner orders as well as breakfast and lunch orders for next day before I could go down to the cafe car to eat. took an hour. He said he thought everyone else was eating in their room. I went down to the cafe car and was served my meal right away. Nothing unusual or exciting about the short rib Flex meal. Small salad, warm roll and butter. Cold Stella. The meal was ok but has lots of salt in it. Good enough for a one time meal. Two people working the cafe and both very friendly whole trip. All at once people came into the cafe to eat and it filled up on one side. Guess not everyone wanted to eat in their room. All served quickly. Some good conversation seemed to be at every booth. Coach passengers had to wait till all sleeper folks had been fed. 8ish I think.

Pancakes, sausage and coffee for breakfast at 8 was tasty but anything with syrup poured on it would be tasty. As others have commented in previous posts some kind of decent presentation of the meal would be nice. For now its box with foil wrapped around the food. Coach passengers were allowed at any time for the breakfast.

My room was cool and thermostat inoperable (as always for me) but for one moment it lit up and said 68! I pressed the up button to 73 and then it went blank again. Stayed cool which is better than really warm but I'm always prepared for cool rooms. Mattress is very firm. Asked for three pillows and two blankets which I received. There is little space between the bed and the sink unless you have really skinny legs. Maybe like 3 inches but that's about it. I turned the room back to normal right after waking as there was no way to look in mirror and shave, brush teeth etc or get dressed. Again this has all been covered before. Plenty of space for a couple of carry on type suitcases and I had five hangers in the open closet.

I will be on the Star Wed from WAS to WPB so Ill see how the timing goes on that trip.

A commentary on my train 50 CHI to CVS trip. This is one of those not too much to comment about trip pro/con except it was an on time arrival in a sea of Amtrak delays. Definitely positive.

Arrived at the CHI lounge around 12:30. Downstairs packed while upstairs was open and quiet. Thins out a lot when afternoon trains board. No ice and a poor selection of snacks unless you really like whole wheat pretzels. Beer and other drinks were for sale. I stayed upstairs for a while, walked around outside and stopped for a beer in the food court. Also got some fresh ice for my soft side cooler at the bar. Some couple got married at the station that day.

The boarding instructions were only go down the hall turn right and head to track 28. Easy for me but a few folks went out the door and stopped like a deer in headlights. I suggested they just follow me. I had sleeper A in VL II. It was number 62513. The room was fine with really no rattles on the trip. Some wear is showing. Also had good neighbors in bedroom B. Friendly young attendant who took everyones dinner orders as well as breakfast and lunch orders for next day before I could go down to the cafe car to eat. took an hour. He said he thought everyone else was eating in their room. I went down to the cafe car and was served my meal right away. Nothing unusual or exciting about the short rib Flex meal. Small salad, warm roll and butter. Cold Stella. The meal was ok but has lots of salt in it. Good enough for a one time meal. Two people working the cafe and both very friendly whole trip. All at once people came into the cafe to eat and it filled up on one side. Guess not everyone wanted to eat in their room. All served quickly. Some good conversation seemed to be at every booth. Coach passengers had to wait till all sleeper folks had been fed. 8ish I think.

Pancakes, sausage and coffee for breakfast at 8 was tasty but anything with syrup poured on it would be tasty. As others have commented in previous posts some kind of decent presentation of the meal would be nice. For now its box with foil wrapped around the food. Coach passengers were allowed at any time for the breakfast.

My room was cool and thermostat inoperable (as always for me) but for one moment it lit up and said 68! I pressed the up button to 73 and then it went blank again. Stayed cool which is better than really warm but I'm always prepared for cool rooms. Mattress is very firm. Asked for three pillows and two blankets which I received. There is little space between the bed and the sink unless you have really skinny legs. Maybe like 3 inches but that's about it. I turned the room back to normal right after waking as there was no way to look in mirror and shave, brush teeth etc or get dressed. Again this has all been covered before. Plenty of space for a couple of carry on type suitcases and I had five hangers in the open closet.

I will be on the Star Wed from WAS to WPB so Ill see how the timing goes on that trip.
Thanks for your trip report on the Cardinal. Looking forward to my first trip on train 50 next month.

Thanks for the report. I will be doing that same trip (CHI-CVS) this coming weekend, but with a roomette. Nice to know we have the option of eating in the cafe car instead of the room.

Coach passengers had to wait till all sleeper folks had been fed. 8ish I think.

Coach passengers were allowed at any time for the breakfast.
My pre-pandemic experience with the Cardinal was that they were capable of serving both the sleeper passengers with flex meals and the coach passengers with cafe car fare simultaneously. On my last trip in October 2019, they had the coach/cafe passengers hang out in one end of the cafe car and the sleeper/flex passengers hang out in the other end, the two sides of the car separated by the serving area. They also let us hang out in the cafe car between meals. I guess they are still having staff shortages and thus can't serve everyone at the same time.

Back