Cardinal or Hoosier State?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cina

Lead Service Attendant
Hi again everyone! Sorry about the long silence. School started again and with the return of students comes the retreat of my free time (and sanity).

But it's about time to start daydreaming about summer. My brother is getting married in June (unlike my other brother he's sensibly getting married when I don't have to take time off). I'm thinking of making it into a train trip, since the wedding is in Lafayette, Indiana. I may take the 6 to Chicago, bum around there with my Chicagoan friend for a while, then take the train down to Lafayette.

My question is, is there any benefit to taking the Cardinal over the Hoosier State if it's such a sort jaunt? I really have nothing planned so day of the week doesn't matter much.

Also, since I have no agenda I could venture up into Michigan or something before heading down. Any fun places to visit maybe just for a night, within a few hours of Chicago that I shouldn't miss?

I look forward to the expertise of the collective! :D

Everyone will chime in on the Hoosier State (you'll want to take the Hoosier State, trust me).

But yes! If you want to take Amtrak from Chicago to Dearborn MI (which is a really nice ride with a good amount of 110mph running) you really must see the Henry Ford Museum Greenfield Village. It's literally right next to the Amtak station in Deraborn. If you like trains, they have a working full scale steam train you can ride around the property that is maintained in a working roundhouse. You can ride in Model T's, model AA Bus, and see working farms and craftsmen. The biggest highlight is Thomas Edisons's Menlo park laboratories. I could go on and on about the place, you really need to visit if you can!

I'd try to do the Hoosier State at least one way. It uses different equipment than the rest of Amtrak's fleet (the equipment and on-board service attendants are actually part of Iowa Pacific, a third party) and has better on-board food service. (There's a dome car with windows around the train car as well, but I think that's now reserved for business class.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Aaah, now I'm very interested in taking the Hoosier State, business class! You had me at "dome car".

Dearborn, MI sounds interesting, especially if I could entice my father to join me, touring the Ford museum would be especially interesting with his commentary. But keep the suggestions coming! I need something to research and dither over during speech meets. (Hopefully I'll also be making the trip to California again too, if money and time allow)

While perusing amsnag I saw a bedroom available on the 6 at the lowest bucket, so I snatched it up! Guess that determines which day I'll be heading up :lol:

I hope it's not too complicated to purchase open sleepers, because I'm inviting my parents to join the train party. They might not though, in which case I've got a whole lotta room to myself! :p

Well, I'm taking the train to Chicago on a Wednesday and the wedding is Saturday, so I can either take the Cardinal the next day or bum around Chicago an extra day and take the Hoosier State on Friday. Not sure what the plan is there yet. If I can't take the Hoosier State on the way there, I'll take it on the way back. We'll see!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back