Cardinal/Texas Eagle Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxpower

Train Attendant
Hello all-
I joined this board a few weeks ago in preparation for an upcoming overnight Amtrak trip. The board itself has answered a great deal of my questions, but I still have a few.

I will be taking the Cardinal from Wilmington, DE to Chicago on 7/10-11, then catch the Texas Eagle that afternoon to Springfield. I will do the same on the way home, but will have an overnight layover in Chicago to allow me to see a few sights. (Eagle Springfield to Chicago 7/15, Cardinal Chicago to Wilmington 7/16-7/17). I chose the Cardinal due to the scenery involved, and because it comes through Wilmington (Capitol Limited or Lake Shore Limited require an additional transfer in DC or NYC). The Eagle is the best option between Chicago and Springfield due to departure times.

I reseved a roomette both ways on the Cardinal, and an upper level Coach seat for the Eagle (again both ways). I've posted about this before on here, but Amtrak upgraded me to the Accessible bedroom for the outbound trip. I'll have the Roomette for the way back (knock wood no last minute downgrade to coach).

As an aside- while I haven't taken a long-distance train recently, I do go up to NYC a few times a year, so I'm accustomed to the "basics" of Amtrak, at least as they exist on the NEC.

Anyway, here are my questions.

1. As far as I understand, "officially", the fact I have a "First Class" (sleeper) ticket into Chicago means I can use the Metropolitan Lounge while waiting for the Eagle. Is this correct? And, given what I've read on here about rules tending to change based on the employee you are dealing with, has anyone had trouble using Met Lounges in this situation?

2. Now that the free soft drinks are only available during "dining hours," I'll bring a few in my carryon- is the cafe attendant usually happy to provide a cup of ice? (Assuming the ice dispenser in the sleeper car is not available )

3. I'm planning on checking my suitcase (will have carryon with stuff i will need on board). On the way out, this keeps me from lugging the suitcase around the station or worrying about it while I wait for my connection. On the way home, I planned on checking it from Springfield to Chicago (one less thing to deal with), retrieving it for my overnight in Chicago, then re-checking it from Chicago to Wilmington the next day . I wouldn't think this would be a problem, but a recent post on another member's question suggested some baggage folks would give me a problem doing this (since the Springfield to Chicago and Chicago to Wilmington legs are on the same reservation). Any one with experience on this? (Springfield actually DOES have checked bags, I checked that on the schedule).

4. How much looking will I have to do to find a seat on the Eagle- I'm used to having to walk up and down the train sometimes to find a seat on the NEC- will it be similar? (Then again, from what I've read about the Eagle, there are significantly less coach cars to walk through).

5. A recent post mentioned the cafe not always being open to coach customers on the Eagle-has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for any help (and the help I've received just by reading the boards).

1. As far as I understand, "officially", the fact I have a "First Class" (sleeper) ticket into Chicago means I can use the Metropolitan Lounge while waiting for the Eagle. Is this correct? And, given what I've read on here about rules tending to change based on the employee you are dealing with, has anyone had trouble using Met Lounges in this situation?
Correct. I have not had any trouble personally, but I generally just sit quietly in excitement for the train ride and don't usually deal with employees.

2. Now that the free soft drinks are only available during "dining hours," I'll bring a few in my carryon- is the cafe attendant usually happy to provide a cup of ice? (Assuming the ice dispenser in the sleeper car is not available )
In my experience yes, however you may have to wait in line. Your SCA (sleeping car attendant) might be willing to get it for you, but that depends person-to-person I believe.

4. How much looking will I have to do to find a seat on the Eagle- I'm used to having to walk up and down the train sometimes to find a seat on the NEC- will it be similar? (Then again, from what I've read about the Eagle, there are significantly less coach cars to walk through).
In my experience (which is fairly limited) the coach attendant will greet you at the door and direct you to a seat. You might have to find one on your own but you shouldn't have to change cars, I think they try to group people to similar destinations in the same car.

5. A recent post mentioned the cafe not always being open to coach customers on the Eagle-has anyone else experienced this?
Yes, but that was in 2021. I wouldn't doubt that the situation is the same. However, your trip is pretty short so I would just bring some snacks with you.

Cal pretty much answered your questions, but I Second that you should bring some snacks with you for the trip between Chicago and Springfield since the Diner and Cafe are in the same Car( CCC) and preference is given to Sleeping Car Passengers.(the Lone LSA has to serve both positions and the Cafe is only open @ designated times for brief periods,plus the stuff offered isn't that great and on offer @ Stadium Prices )

And the Cafe ( and Diner) are often "Out" of most items on the trip North after doing a 4 Day/ 3 Nite Turn between Chicago and San Antonio.

Agree with Cal for the most part. Here's some additional detail.

Regarding #2 - During meals I would leave a tip for the LSA. Whether that made a difference or not, can't say for sure. However, I have had no problem in receiving a "drink to go" (soft drink) with ice. I'd bring it back to my room for later on. I'd typically do this after every meal taken in the Diner. When boarding the Lake Shore Limited - low level train set as you know - I've also had the sleeper car attendant ask me if I've wanted anything to drink from the Diner/Cafe (before departure in NYC). Brought it to me with no problem. Course you do get free water in your room. So overall, I've found in my LD train trips (early June being the last one) whereby the SCA or LSA has been more than willing to accommodate me bring a drink from the Diner/Cafe back to my bedroom. Up until 2002 or so, sleeping cars used to be stocked with soft drinks and snacks (cookies). They were up for grabs for anyone who wanted them - just like coffee. But that's was done away with. However, this has seemingly come back into play - at least for soft drinks - where you aren't constantly going back and forth to the cafe to get soft drinks etc. It's part of fare and easier to get.

Met Lounge in Chicago - you'll have no problem going here to "lounge" in between trains. Keep in mind though, drinks and snacks provided at Chicago Met Lounge. For lunch or anything substantive, you've got to take a good walk to find something. There used to be a restaurant right across from where they presently have the lounge but it's no longer there. Place would be like a gold mine if it were still open or there. I can't understand why a restaurant of sorts (with a grab and go drink/food bar) is not put in there.

Coach seats are supposed to be assigned by the attendant when you board a LD train like the Texas Eagle; since I've always travel in sleeper class, not going to comment. I would think they'd want to assign seats since from Chicago to Springfield, this is a LD train as much as it is also a corridor train.....

And also as mentioned, I'd find some snacks/drinks to pack for the train just in case the food service car on the Texas Eagle (a Superliner Cross Country Cafe car) is overwhelmed. One LSA to handle the sleeper AND coach passengers, and notorious for running out of things, let alone a long line.....

Have a GREAT trip.

Thanks for the answers, particularly the suggestion re snacks- anyone think I'll have difficulty if I put a drink and a bag or 2 of chips on my carry on as I leave the Met Lounge to go from Chicago to Springfield. I'm actually more concerned about the Springfield to Chicago leg, since it includes lunch hour and I get snippy and have brain fog if I skip a meal. Luckily my hotel has free breakfast and there IS a supermarket nearby I can grab something to bring onto the chain.

I'll try to report on the westbound trip while I'm in Springfield

Arrived in Springfield today, so I figured I'd report in....

Unfortunately, I have to start with a gripe. My train station had a power outage (obviously not their fault). They wouldn't let anyone in the station and instead had everyone us an emergency exit from the platform (which is on the roof of the station). Easy enough (not sure how a disabled person was supposed to get to their train). My gripe is they had no way to check baggage (with the train change in Chicago I didn't want to deal with my large duffel), and there was no way to do so once on the train. Luckily I WAS able to check it in Chicago so I wasn't lugging it around Union Station during the layover.

Anyway, as stated previously Amtrak had upgraded me to the accessible bedroom. I found it perfectly comfortable (once they turned the air conditioning up a bit). Obviously, more than enough room. I really did not mind having the commode "out in the open"- it was pretty much out of my line of site. Service was good-only issue was apparently I had nodded off when the attendant came by for my dinner order and didn't check back later- came quickly when I eventually used the call button (I eat late anyway) and brought my food quickly. I had 4 meals on the train (breakfast both days, lunch, and dinner). I had the French Toast day one- which the plasticware couldn't really cut through easily. Tasted OK though. I had the spare ribs for lunch and the chicken a la rosa for dinner, both of which I though were very good. I had the omelette this morning, which I also liked. I used the in-room shower which worked well and provided hot water. The only significant delay we had was when the system which keeps engineers from exceeding speed limits acted up. The conductor quickly came on the PA and explained the situation and I'd say we were on our way in 20 minutes or so. We ended up 30 minutes late into Chicago- no real problem since my original layover was 3 hours 45 minutes. We apparently had picked up 2 engines and baggage car overnight, I assume for delivery to Chicago after service/repair.

Metropolitan Lounge was nice- not much in the snack department, though. I think the gentleman who was mentioned in another thread was making the announcements. We also had a woman making the announcements..apparently people were pestering them about when to line up for a train, so the woman came on and said something to the extent of "I assure you, we will announce when each train is ready. You won't get left behind. Its busy in here today...we WANT you to leave' which got a good laugh. They called us about 15-20 minutes before departure so boarding was not hectic.

This was my first time on a Superliner (I rode coach for the leg), which was comfortable. They announced repeatedly that the train was sold out, we'll need every seat, etc. It didn't feel crowded, though. (Then again, I'm used to the NEC, and the seats are packed in more there). Slight delay on the way out of Chicago because of other trains- got into Springfield 15 minutes late. Could have used a bit more guidance was to where to pick up my bag, but no huge problem. I did NOT try going to the cafe car (I ate at the Food Court at Union Station), but they did announce it was open and available without saying anything about coach passengers not being allowed to use it.

I guess that's about it. In Springfield through Friday, then spending Friday night in Chicago and heading home Saturday evening- I'll provide my thoughts on those legs when I get home.

Back