Career Dilemma

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shotgun7

Service Attendant
I've got about two years until I need to seriously consider my options, but even so, I've found myself in a mental stalemate of how to pursue my planned career path. I'm planning on starting out as a conductor by way of NARS for either BNSF or Montana Rail Link. I know my final decision should be based on personal opinions, but I'm trying to find out what major differences there are between the two railroads. And I guess this could apply to the differences between any two railroads of different size.

Home websites don't really offer the kind of info I'm looking for, other sites are mainly for railfans only interested in taking pictures, and I obviously dont know anybody on or near the "inside" of these companies since I'm in Florida. So of course, I turned to the best... you guys! :D Getting hired is one of the topics I really need to find out more on, and is the one that could knock MRL off the counter since I know it's pretty easy(er) to get hired by BNSF via NARS. And since MRL only employs about 1K people (and haven't seemed to have any openings lately), I wander what the chances are of them hiring a "foreigner" all the way from the other side of the country.

Remarks, opinions, comments, really appreciated

Thanks,

Paul

Back