Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here’s been my hiring experience, it’s probably a little different as I live in DC. I applied for every OBS position in January. I then had an interview for en route coach cleaner. I was offered the job two days later, but after the first interview I received an email to do a physical for LSA. So I turned down the cleaner position. It took a while to schedule the strength test with ICPS as they are based out of Ohio. Took the test on a Friday and that was transmitted to Amtrak on Wednesday. It’s the end of February at this point. Did my zoom interview with one the same gentlemen who did the cleaner interview. Had to do a drug test which was a hair test. Received a contingent offer of employment. After that I waited another 2 weeks and then had to do a physical, urinalysis, hearing and sight test. Now I’m just waiting on the results from my background check. The next OBS class for east coast is april 11th in NYC. It definitely has been a process.
Something that I found interesting is the potential routes they said I could be on which consisted of Cap Limited, Silver Service, Acela, Crescent or Vermonter. No regionals. With only the Acela, Vermonter and Cap Limited originating or terminating in DC I’m curious as to see if NYC will be a constant starting point for my work days. And I’m all about 100% travel!

I am aware that there's probably a bazillion applicants but any knowledge about the process would be greatly appreciated. I feel like a pretty great candidate with my experience and I have a reference from a former Amtrak Conductor who is also a former coworker from a different job. Do they actually read cover letters and resumes? It kind of feels like sending an application off into outer space and a "don't get my hopes up" thing. Thanks for your time and attention.

I am aware that there's probably a bazillion applicants but any knowledge about the process would be greatly appreciated. I feel like a pretty great candidate with my experience and I have a reference from a former Amtrak Conductor who is also a former coworker from a different job. Do they actually read cover letters and resumes? It kind of feels like sending an application off into outer space and a "don't get my hopes up" thing. Thanks for your time and attention.
Welcome to AU. Unfortunately I cannot answser your questions regarding an AC position. Possibly one of our members will be able to do so. Most of our members are not Amtrak employees and do not have direct knowledge about the Amtrak hiring process. Our members are railfans, however, some of our members are current or past Amtrak employees who may be able to answer your questions.

Send me a PM.

Welcome to AU. Unfortunately I cannot answser your questions regarding an AC position. Possibly one of our members will be able to do so. Most of our members are not Amtrak employees and do not have direct knowledge about the Amtrak hiring process. Our members are railfans, however, some of our members are current or past Amtrak employees who may be able to answer your questions.
I’m still going thru the process and I started it back in January. The process is unbelievably slow. In this order is how it’s going: apply
2. Zoom interview
If they like you you’ll receive a conditional offer at this point.
3. Strength test
4. Drug test
5. Full physical and blood work.
6. Thorough back ground check.
Apparently, this is we’re my hold up is. I have a dui from 7years ago. For this I have to be approved by the adjudication board. They are a new team and only meet once a week.They have asked a question about my dui at the last 3 meetings and send a follow up questions one at a time as opposed to asking all the pertinent questions at once. My HR representative filed a formal complaint against them as the next training class is scheduled for 4/11 and she seriously doubts they’ll have enough people to even half fill it because of their antics. Hopefully they’ll give some approvals and some of us can start 4/11. 🙏🏾

Good evening I recently applied for amtrak for various positions and was asked to do a strength test. I did the test how will I be notified if I passed . Also do you have to take it each time when you apply for a new position?

Please be aware that this website is made up of amateur rail travel fans, and has no connection to Amtrak...
Having said that, you may get replies from some members here who can offer information.
Good luck!

Good evening I recently applied for amtrak for various positions and was asked to do a strength test. I did the test how will I be notified if I passed . Also do you have to take it each time when you apply for a new position?

Their is no official notifcation of passing or failing. However if you receive an interview you passed. Also, if you passed you do not need to take it again for 1 year. If you did not pass you can test again after a 90 day waiting period.

Their is no official notifcation of passing or failing. However if you receive an interview you passed. Also, if you passed you do not need to take it again for 1 year. If you did not pass you can test again after a 90 day waiting period.
If there's no notification, how do you know that you need to take it again? You might have passed the test but not received an interview for some other reason.

I'm going through the process now with amtrak. I have taken my drug test, physical & background check. I haven't heard about any of my results at all yet. I have not smoked weed in 7 months and im also suppose too start may 2nd and i live in NY. So i need at least a week to drive there. for my background check i messed up some of the dates of some previous employers and one of them tbh i was fired from (long story). I did not give my managers number anyway but i did put my supervisors number on there, because i liked working with him and worked well together. I also called the people that hired me maybe 2 or 3 times and the recruiter said they thought it was weird and mad them nervous that i wasn't telling them something, but i just told him i was nervous and that i was only concerned, because i don't want to be called last minute and then have to drive across country in a hurry. I don't have a criminal record or anything bad I'm just nervous. Do i have anaything to worry about? what are some red flags for them? Also when i get past probation how can i start getting on the path to become a conductor? Thanks!

I'm going through the process now with amtrak. I have taken my drug test, physical & background check. I haven't heard about any of my results at all yet. I have not smoked weed in 7 months and im also suppose too start may 2nd and i live in NY. So i need at least a week to drive there. for my background check i messed up some of the dates of some previous employers and one of them tbh i was fired from (long story). I did not give my managers number anyway but i did put my supervisors number on there, because i liked working with him and worked well together. I also called the people that hired me maybe 2 or 3 times and the recruiter said they thought it was weird and mad them nervous that i wasn't telling them something, but i just told him i was nervous and that i was only concerned, because i don't want to be called last minute and then have to drive across country in a hurry. I don't have a criminal record or anything bad I'm just nervous. Do i have anaything to worry about? what are some red flags for them? Also when i get past probation how can i start getting on the path to become a conductor? Thanks!

Send me a PM with your various questions.

Good luck with everything, my one suggestion is even if would be difficult for you, if you really want the job make sure you are clear that you are willing to start on short notice and drive to the location quickly. Even if it is unreasonable, railroads use the short notice to start as a test on whether or not you will be able to live with an unpredictable or non-standard work schedule. In reality you might be able to get a later training class or something, but you want to be clear you want to start very soon and have a firm offer in hand before mentioning that in my opinion.

Hello all,

I've recently accepted a position for Amtrak as a passenger conductor trainee and go out to Delaware early June 2022. I am wondering does anyone know the medical provider that Amtrak uses to conduct the physical health assessment/drug testing? Is this the same type of physical that is required for a Commercial Driver License? Will they waive the physical if I already have a FMCSA DOT clearance? Thank you so much for your answers.

Good afternoon
I too am seriously considering joining the Amtrak family.
I have a lot of questions!
I currently work for a NYS Department and am Tier 6.
1- Do all the pension benefits(time of service) carry over?
Or is that time lost & the pension system completely different?
2- How much time do you have to have before one is vested in the retirement & pension system?
3- How hard is it to start, say in NY and transfer to say Delaware or Washington DC?
4- Would your rate of pay stay the same and carry over to your new location?
5- If one started say as a Coach Cleaner or Red Cap how much time would you have to remain in that position before you’re able to grow and take on another role?
6- What is the current pay rate for Red Caps, Ushers, Gateman, Coach Cleaners…?

I know this is a lot but I really need answers to these questions.
Thank you all for your time and assistance with these questions.
I look forward to reading the answers.
Darrin

MODERATOR NOTE to those posting questions in this thread: Please be reminded that most of the members of Amtrak Unlimited are not current or past Amtrak employees and do not know the answers to your questions. There are a few/handfull of active AU members who are current or past Amtrak employees. Some, but not all, are comfortable answering questions in public. Some may send you a PM.
Again, most AU members are railfans or new Amtrak travelers with questions about traveling on Amtrak.

If there's no notification, how do you know that you need to take it again? You might have passed the test but not received an interview for some other reason.
That's a great question. And the answer is HR can give the applicant the answer.
Hello all,

I've recently accepted a position for Amtrak as a passenger conductor trainee and go out to Delaware early June 2022. I am wondering does anyone know the medical provider that Amtrak uses to conduct the physical health assessment/drug testing? Is this the same type of physical that is required for a Commercial Driver License? Will they waive the physical if I already have a FMCSA DOT clearance? Thank you so much for your answers.
Congrats and Welcome to the team!

Where have you been hired as an AC? Just be aware that the class date that they gave you may be moved forward or back.

Amtrak uses CHS as the vendor. It's similar to a CDL exam. As for a phyiscal being "waived" that won't happen.

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a PM.
Good afternoon
I too am seriously considering joining the Amtrak family.
I have a lot of questions!
I currently work for a NYS Department and am Tier 6.
1- Do all the pension benefits(time of service) carry over?
Or is that time lost & the pension system completely different?
2- How much time do you have to have before one is vested in the retirement & pension system?
3- How hard is it to start, say in NY and transfer to say Delaware or Washington DC?
4- Would your rate of pay stay the same and carry over to your new location?
5- If one started say as a Coach Cleaner or Red Cap how much time would you have to remain in that position before you’re able to grow and take on another role?
6- What is the current pay rate for Red Caps, Ushers, Gateman, Coach Cleaners…?

I know this is a lot but I really need answers to these questions.
Thank you all for your time and assistance with these questions.
I look forward to reading the answers.
Darrin

1. As far as state to Amtrak? No. Amtrak pays into RR Retirement.
2. 5 years for RR Retirement
3. It depends on your job title. For instance T&E don't have to much of an issue, however wait until your probation period is up.
4. Yes, if you stay in the same title your pay rate would carry over.
5. Techincally Amtrak has a "1 year rule". Meaning that you stay in your current craft for one year before you can change. It has been waived on occasion.
6. That I'm not sure about.

That's a great question. And the answer is HR can give the applicant the answer.

Congrats and Welcome to the team!

Where have you been hired as an AC? Just be aware that the class date that they gave you may be moved forward or back.

Amtrak uses CHS as the vendor. It's similar to a CDL exam. As for a phyiscal being "waived" that won't happen.

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a PM.

1. As far as state to Amtrak? No. Amtrak pays into RR Retirement.
2. 5 years for RR Retirement
3. It depends on your job title. For instance T&E don't have to much of an issue, however wait until your probation period is up.
4. Yes, if you stay in the same title your pay rate would carry over.
5. Techincally Amtrak has a "1 year rule". Meaning that you stay in your current craft for one year before you can change. It has been waived on occasion.
6. That I'm not sure about.

Thank you so much for your response.
What is T & E?
I look forward to any and all further responses.
MODERATOR NOTE to those posting questions in this thread: Please be reminded that most of the members of Amtrak Unlimited are not current or past Amtrak employees and do not know the answers to your questions. There are a few/handfull of active AU members who are current or past Amtrak employees. Some, but not all, are comfortable answering questions in public. Some may send you a PM.
Again, most AU members are railfans or new Amtrak travelers with questions about traveling on Amtrak.
Thank
You

My application changed from “under review” to “manager review” and under “Job specific information” there is a job offer confirmation section saying congratulations on a offer. But I have yet to be contacted by anyone or even interviewed. Is this normal? Or does this mean something?

Back