Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
End of April I accepted a job offer with amtrak
Last week had my hair follicle test done, completed my new hire paperwork and background check.
My background check is finished( it shows on the website)

I have yet to get info on doing a physical and urine test.

Should I be worried?

End of April I accepted a job offer with amtrak
Last week had my hair follicle test done, completed my new hire paperwork and background check.
My background check is finished( it shows on the website)

I have yet to get info on doing a physical and urine test.

Should I be worried?

OBS hit the nail on the head. Nothing to worry about. What job and location did you hire out for?

Im in a legal state and i want to smoke weed very badly. Will they still drug test me if im in a legal state? How can I get away with it?

Im in a legal state and i want to smoke weed very badly. Will they still drug test me if im in a legal state? How can I get away with it?
If you want to smoke Weed, do it, but you won't be able to work for Amtrak if you do. Drug Testing will catch you, most likely on your initial Drug Test before hire!

Yes. Everyone is both urine and hair follicle tested pre-hire, and subjects to random testing.
How can you get away with it? Don’t use it. But the fact that you’re asking how can you get away with it says to me that you need to seriously re-evaluate things.

Amtrak is federally regulated, and at the federal level, cannabis is still illegal. There's no way around it.

Even if cannabis is legalized federally, I don't see USDOT regulations changing, at least until there is a more accurate way to test current intoxication levels like a breathalyzer. The biggest problem with drug testing is that it often takes much longer for certain drugs to be completely out of your system even if they were consumed months ago, in contrast with others like alcohol, which is out of your system within hours since it's processed differently. Intoxication is different than just having it in your system.

Hello,

So i received a email saying the next step in the hiring process is to complete the physical abilities test for a CSR position.

My questions are:

Does Amtrak normally set you up for the physical abilities test before you interview?

How long is CSR training?

Do they send you somewhere for training?
What is training pay for a CSR?

What is starting pay after completing training?
Do CSRs put into Tier RR Retirement?

Are you able to bump to different terminals with seniority as a CSR?

Can you transfer to a different station as a CSR?

It seems as though the CSR physical abilities test is similar to a conductor physical abilities test, is this accurate?

Any feedback is welcome about the hiring process.

Thanks

You will be part of RR retirement.
Physical abilities test makes sense, because you will be handling luggage. You can bump/bid into different stations within your seniority district, which will be determined by where you hire into. Not sure about the rules on national seniority.

Amtrak is federally regulated, and at the federal level, cannabis is still illegal. There's no way around it.

Even if cannabis is legalized federally, I don't see USDOT regulations changing, at least until there is a more accurate way to test current intoxication levels like a breathalyzer. The biggest problem with drug testing is that it often takes much longer for certain drugs to be completely out of your system even if they were consumed months ago, in contrast with others like alcohol, which is out of your system within hours since it's processed differently. Intoxication is different than just having it in your system.
I don't have an issue with legalized marijuana for either medicinal or recreational use. However, I don't want anyone whose job even remotely has a safety component to it to be high on weed or drunk on booze while at work. Not even a little bit. That would include OBS and operational positions.

You will be part of RR retirement.
Physical abilities test makes sense, because you will be handling luggage. You can bump/bid into different stations within your seniority district, which will be determined by where you hire into. Not sure about the rules on national seniority.
When I transferred from Denver to New York City, back in 1989, My benefit seniority came with me, but my bidding/bumping seniority did not, for a five year period, under the TCU agreement. So I had to start at the bottom, but after five years, I would suddenly jump to my total seniority.
I think this is a fair plan, as it protects people from being displaced by “boomers”, that are always jumping around, but at the same time giving you the benefit of moving anywhere, and eventually enjoying your full seniority.

I don't have an issue with legalized marijuana for either medicinal or recreational use. However, I don't want anyone whose job even remotely has a safety component to it to be high on weed or drunk on booze while at work. Not even a little bit. That would include OBS and operational positions.
I agree wholeheartedly. The issue is there's no current method to test current intoxication levels.

Hello I am still relatively new here I interviewed with amtrak 2 weeks ago. I thought it went well the manager that interviewed me said he was impressed and wanted to hire me. Should I be discouraged if I have not heard anything back by now. How long does the hiring process go after interview. Thanks any input is welcome. Have a blessed day everyone.

Welcome! I'm glad your interview went well. Sadly, Amtrak's HR department is a joke and is overwhelmed, understaffed, and not motivated to hire new staff quickly enough. The hiring process has always been infamously long and tedious. Unsure when you'll hear. No news is good news; sorry there isn't more specific information we can give you.

Hello I am still relatively new here I interviewed with amtrak 2 weeks ago. I thought it went well the manager that interviewed me said he was impressed and wanted to hire me. Should I be discouraged if I have not heard anything back by now. How long does the hiring process go after interview. Thanks any input is welcome. Have a blessed day everyone.

What job and location did you interview for?

Got offered an Engineer Trainee position out of New York. Current BNSF Engineer. Projected start date is June 6th. How close to the start date is it when you get the final what when and were info for the class? All the medical and drug testing appointments have been done for a couple of weeks. I don't want to resign from BNSF until I have that info incase the class gets pushed or god forbid they see something they don't like on my medical(same medical exam as BN so I doubt it). Also anyone work out of New York or are going to be in this class let me know.

Got offered an Engineer Trainee position out of New York. Current BNSF Engineer. Projected start date is June 6th. How close to the start date is it when you get the final what when and were info for the class? All the medical and drug testing appointments have been done for a couple of weeks. I don't want to resign from BNSF until I have that info incase the class gets pushed or god forbid they see something they don't like on my medical(same medical exam as BN so I doubt it). Also anyone work out of New York or are going to be in this class let me know.
I am most curious, if you care to respond, as to why you wish to give up your position on the BNSF to work for Amtrak. Also, why you would want to move from NE to NY...
Whatever, I wish you good luck on achieving your desired position.

I am most curious, if you care to respond, as to why you wish to give up your position on the BNSF to work for Amtrak. Also, why you would want to move from NE to NY...
Whatever, I wish you good luck on achieving your desired position.
BNSF has turned into the worst of the big 4 this last year and is only getting worse as time goes on. My wife and I are originally from the east coast. It's nice living in the country with low cost of living and all but getting particular services specifically specialized medical services is a major pain out here. NTM the benefits of amtrak in an area where you essentially go home every day vs here where I spend more time in the hotel at the other end of the road than I do at home.

Union station Chicago
I'll see if I can find out anything for you. I can't guarantee anything though. But also keep an eye on your online job profile.

Welcome to the team brother! We'll probably see each other in Wilmington here and there. I'm there until the 17th of June for AC class.

Do you know if you got hired for Zone 1 towards New Haven and Boston, or Zone 2 towards Philly and DC? You'll honestly get info a few days before your class. If you have any quesitons feel free to drop me a PM.

Back