Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll see if I can find out anything for you. I can't guarantee anything though. But also keep an eye on your online job profile.

Welcome to the team brother! We'll probably see each other in Wilmington here and there. I'm there until the 17th of June for AC class.

Do you know if you got hired for Zone 1 towards New Haven and Boston, or Zone 2 towards Philly and DC? You'll honestly get info a few days before your class. If you have any quesitons feel free to drop me a PM.
Zone 2. I just got the email yesterday saying that everything was good to go for starting on the 6th and to be on the lookout for an email for final information for the 1st day.

End of April I accepted a job offer with amtrak
Last week had my hair follicle test done, completed my new hire paperwork and background check.
My background check is finished( it shows on the website)

I have yet to get info on doing a physical and urine test.

Should I be worried?
I also interviewed with amtrak how long did you hear back from them after interview ? Just curious it's been two weeks since mine and I wonder if they went with a different candidate since I haven't heard back yet.

I also interviewed with amtrak how long did you hear back from them after interview ? Just curious it's been two weeks since mine and I wonder if they went with a different candidate since I haven't heard back yet.
Unless you were applying for a special position, they usually hire quantities of people and the wheels move very slowly. If you don't hear after a month, then maybe...

Zone 2. I just got the email yesterday saying that everything was good to go for starting on the 6th and to be on the lookout for an email for final information for the 1st day.
Hello again I pray all is well. Just a quick question it's been three weeks since my interview should I be concerned . I know it's a slow process with many companies as far as hiring. I am not sure with amtrak the time frame is . My app staus is still currently under review obs train attendant. Thanks again for all info this far have a nice day :)

Every time I have applied for a job at Amtrak, I soon received a brief email telling me I wasn't selected for an interview. Now I hear that Amtrak is cutting frequencies on the NEC and elsewhere due to staff shortages. What gives? Why not just hire more people in the first place?

Related: In 2017, I took the exam to become a motorman for the NYC Subway. I scored a 95% (passing grade is 70%) but was disqualified on a minor technicality (not having been with my then employer for one year at the time I registered for the exam). Now they are crying about staff shortages and trying to bring retired people back. This is what mindless bureaucracy gets you.

I served on an oversight board for a transit system in a mid-size city (overseeing rail and bus operations).

It gave me one more thing on a resume that has opened some career doors in related fields.

I also met some people who have been useful in my career.

It wasn’t hugely beneficial but it can be somewhat beneficial. If I wanted to work in the transit or real estate development space, it could have been quite useful. And it gave more transit experience than the Amtrak board members have.
I applied and interviewed with amtrak over a month ago today. Any insight on the hiring process app still says under review just wondering if they went with another candidate.

I applied and interviewed with amtrak over a month ago today. Any insight on the hiring process app still says under review just wondering if they went with another candidate.
Their HR department is severely understaffed… don’t give up and follow up with the people that interviewed you.

Got offered an Engineer Trainee position out of New York. Current BNSF Engineer. Projected start date is June 6th. How close to the start date is it when you get the final what when and were info for the class? All the medical and drug testing appointments have been done for a couple of weeks. I don't want to resign from BNSF until I have that info incase the class gets pushed or god forbid they see something they don't like on my medical(same medical exam as BN so I doubt it). Also anyone work out of New York or are going to be in this class let me know.
I’m going through the same thing. Accepted a engineer trainee position. Current UP engineer. Drug test and medical done a few weeks ago. Still haven’t heard anything. Class start date is supposed to be July 25.

How long was it before you received any update before your class started?

Hey I am , new to Amtrak passed all my pre employment activities was just curious do they pass out uniforms or what typically is the dress code and also first day like? I also heard that I might need to go to another state for training how does that work do they pay for the expenses? thank you!

Their HR department is severely understaffed… don’t give up and follow up with the people that interviewed you.
Thanks again for info still haven't heard anything app still says under review. Trying to hold out hope ai heard the process can take a few months.

Hey I am , new to Amtrak passed all my pre employment activities was just curious do they pass out uniforms or what typically is the dress code and also first day like? I also heard that I might need to go to another state for training how does that work do they pay for the expenses? thank you!
What job did you get hired for, and what location? That will help get you some answers. :)
Thanks again for info still haven't heard anything app still says under review. Trying to hold out hope ai heard the process can take a few months.
I'm going to take a guess and say that you were not seleceted for the job.

What job did you get hired for, and what location? That will help get you some answers. :)

I'm going to take a guess and say that you were not seleceted for the job.
na I got hired just got the free plane ticket to Indianapolis, I was hired for coach cleaner so was wondering what's the usual uniform? and i'm assuming they pay for lodging as well??

It really depends on the position, but it can take some time, particularly for train crew and similar positions. If you are not going to get an interview, you won't hear back for months (or ever) - if you do hear they will e-mail you a form letter stating that the position was filled, or they decided not to fill it, etc. The process does take time, and they absolutely provide you with enough time to give two weeks notice (or occasionally more) before starting a new position, regardless of when you are hired. It's something that will come up in the interview process if you are called. Hope this helps and best of luck.
I Interviewed for amtrak almost two months ago. The manager who interviewed me said it was a yes for him to get hired. So I assumed the interview went ok. Yet my app still says under review two months later. Should I assume the went with other candidates and just never reached back out to me.

na I got hired just got the free plane ticket to Indianapolis, I was hired for coach cleaner so was wondering what's the usual uniform? and i'm assuming they pay for lodging as well??
I've never met anyone who's worked as a Coach Cleaner, perhaps one of our Amtrak Employee Members (or Ex) has some insight about that job??

Update: I see one of our Retired Amtrsk Members answered your question.

And IINM you fo get a Per Diem for Food and Incidentals as well as Trainee Pay!

Last edited:
I’m going through the same thing. Accepted a engineer trainee position. Current UP engineer. Drug test and medical done a few weeks ago. Still haven’t heard anything. Class start date is supposed to be July 25.

How long was it before you received any update before your class started?
2 weeks before the start date

Back