Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone,

I have an interview Tuesday for the Delaware Electrician apprenticeship.

I was curious if anybody knew what the starting hourly rate was.

Only asking because it’s going to be a little bit of a drive from me (I live in Philadelphia).

So I just wanted to double check beforehand.

Thank you to anyone who might be able to help!

Hello everyone,

Only asking because it’s going to be a little bit of a drive from me (I live in Philadelphia).

Sorry I don't know the Rate in the Current Contract for your Craft, but I'd think it's more than OBS per Hour plus you'll be working a Regular Shift once you're Trained and Qualified.

So I recieved an offer via email but it was sent to wrong email address and I am just now seeing it two weeks later. The training class starts August 8th I replied back do you think it's too late. I am so upset u checked my primary email daily but apparently my email had not updated and they sent to my old email address ...just my luck

So I recieved an offer via email but it was sent to wrong email address and I am just now seeing it two weeks later. The training class starts August 8th I replied back do you think it's too late. I am so upset u checked my primary email daily but apparently my email had not updated and they sent to my old email address ...just my luck
Did you explain in your reply to them that you missed the email when they sent it and just now read it. Hopefully they'll still take you on.

Did the offer have a deadline to accept? If so, you have an answer, so likely not. Training doesn't start for another three weeks, so maybe you're good? Doubtful anyone here can do anything other than guess...

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Is that an Amtrak specific electrical apprenticeship, or the regular inside or outside apprenticeship in the industry? I know Amtrak has been looking for electricians (and other trades as well) all over. I am curious since after my retirement from the electrical industry I have continued to stay involved as an instructor in the apprenticeship program for the IBEW local in NYC. This is the "quiet time" for me, my classes start again in September.

Did you explain in your reply to them that you missed the email when they sent it and just now read it. Hopefully they'll still take you on.
So the offers for the training were already extended . So I missed my opportunity ai could kick myself. So I guess it back to the drawing board. I was told my info would be retained for the next round of hiring. Do you know how often the training sessions are done. The class was set for August 8th new York. I am hopeful I will get an opportunity at some point mad at myself for missing this round.

Is that an Amtrak specific electrical apprenticeship, or the regular inside or outside apprenticeship in the industry? I know Amtrak has been looking for electricians (and other trades as well) all over. I am curious since after my retirement from the electrical industry I have continued to stay involved as an instructor in the apprenticeship program for the IBEW local in NYC. This is the "quiet time" for me, my classes start again in September.
I believe it is Amtrak Specific. I think the difference may be that they work specifically on the trains and railways rather than in commercial buildings like the usual electricians would. Not 100% positive though.

That would make sense. Just curious. I know the IBEW represents Amtrak (and many other railroad) electricians, but usually they are separate from the inside locals and are formed into the Railroad Councils.

Is Amtrak getting just as bad a rap for employees as freight right now? I worked for Amtrak years ago and was thinking about trying to come back, but I keep reading about low pay and bad health benefits with the Class I freight RRs. I know the work/life balance is difficult, always has been until you can hold a regular job.

Is Amtrak getting just as bad a rap for employees as freight right now? I worked for Amtrak years ago and was thinking about trying to come back, but I keep reading about low pay and bad health benefits with the Class I freight RRs. I know the work/life balance is difficult, always has been until you can hold a regular job.
We have several Active and Retired Amtrak employees here on AU, hopefully they can fill us in on this.

I know that lots of Old timers have Retired, and that the Trains now have lots of New Hire Trainee OBS and that Amtrak is hiring in most Crafts @ their Crew Bases and Facilities.

Far from it. A lot of Freight guys are running over here as fast as they can.

My training lasted three weeks of class room training, then six training trips on the diffrent trains. I trained as a LSA.
How often are the training sessions held due to an error amtrak sent jib training offer to old email and missed offer for upcoming class on August 8th. I was told my info would be sent for next round of hiring. I pray I haven't missed my chance and I am not waiting another year...lol

How often are the training sessions held due to an error amtrak sent jib training offer to old email and missed offer for upcoming class on August 8th. I was told my info would be sent for next round of hiring. I pray I haven't missed my chance and I am not waiting another year...lol

Stay in contact with HR about that. They are the ones who can ensure the offer is sent to you promptly.

I just realized my complete post did not go through...my question was how often are training classes held I missed offer for August 8th class due to offer being sent to wrong email. I was wondering am I looking for another Ling wait to next round of hiring?

Hello,

First and foremost, I’m new to the site. I’d like to share with you an experience I’ve had with Amtrak’s hiring practices.

I attended one of Amtrak’s Hiring Events. The career fair certainly ended up being an experience.

Since the event was to begin at 9am I arrived at 730am. Nothing was set up. No signs posters, tables, etc. I asked an employee and they told me to wait in a customers service room. When I got there, the small room was already filled with people. By 9am, a huge line of people snaked out of the room far and away.

Finally HR showed up, surprised by how nothing was set up for the event. They managed find some tables and by 930-10 they were ready to roll. After having us sign in, they split the mass of people up and brought us up to a larger conference room. They told us about what jobs they were hiring for, etc. HR had us sign in again and then took our resumes. We waited for about 30 mins where they brought us to a relatively small waiting room. There were a handful of chairs and a couch, but with at least 50+ people crammed into the room.

It’s now about 1130. Then they tell us they’re going to start the interviews. Now I’m starting to get excited. Sure, the career fair had a bumpy start, but now things were going to run more smooth. That was the hope at least.

Three hours went by and around 230, someone from HR said that they were finally ready to start the process along. We all looked at each other confused. People were visibly upset. We had been waiting hours with no food, no water, because we were under the impression that they were going start the interviews soon.
Then another person from HR said they lost the sign in sheet and we would have to sign in again (for a third time).

That cleared some of the room out. I would say about 15 people just left, upset with the how disorganized the process was. I was annoyed as well, but I stuck it out. After all, a job with Amtrak would be a life changing career. By 345/4, over 8 hours of waiting I finally got an interview.

The actual interview went very smoothly. I waited a few mins outside the interview room and an HR rep brought me down to another office. He congratulated me about getting the position. I asked him which position and he gave me a funny look. He asked “Didn’t they tell you in the interview?”
I said “No, they only told me which positions they were hiring for.”
He didn’t answer, just wrote down the different positions of Usher/OBS/Customer Service Rep.

After I left the event, I was so happy. I didn’t care which job I got, I finally got my foot in the door. They said it would take two weeks to hear back.

A month later, someone from HR reached out and explained how they were sending out formal job opportunities and that the process could take up to a month or more. It has now been over three months since the hiring fair. I’ve reached out to check the status and I’ve gotten no response.

My questions are:
Given the disorganization of the career fair and the lack of response should I be concerned that Amtrak ghosted me?

Also Amtrak has had a few of these career fairs nationwide for a variety of positions, has anyone else attended them? If so, were they disorganized?

Thank you for your time!

Hello,

First and foremost, I’m new to the site. I’d like to share with you an experience I’ve had with Amtrak’s hiring practices.

I attended one of Amtrak’s Hiring Events. The career fair certainly ended up being an experience.

Since the event was to begin at 9am I arrived at 730am. Nothing was set up. No signs posters, tables, etc. I asked an employee and they told me to wait in a customers service room. When I got there, the small room was already filled with people. By 9am, a huge line of people snaked out of the room far and away.

Finally HR showed up, surprised by how nothing was set up for the event. They managed find some tables and by 930-10 they were ready to roll. After having us sign in, they split the mass of people up and brought us up to a larger conference room. They told us about what jobs they were hiring for, etc. HR had us sign in again and then took our resumes. We waited for about 30 mins where they brought us to a relatively small waiting room. There were a handful of chairs and a couch, but with at least 50+ people crammed into the room.

It’s now about 1130. Then they tell us they’re going to start the interviews. Now I’m starting to get excited. Sure, the career fair had a bumpy start, but now things were going to run more smooth. That was the hope at least.

Three hours went by and around 230, someone from HR said that they were finally ready to start the process along. We all looked at each other confused. People were visibly upset. We had been waiting hours with no food, no water, because we were under the impression that they were going start the interviews soon.
Then another person from HR said they lost the sign in sheet and we would have to sign in again (for a third time).

That cleared some of the room out. I would say about 15 people just left, upset with the how disorganized the process was. I was annoyed as well, but I stuck it out. After all, a job with Amtrak would be a life changing career. By 345/4, over 8 hours of waiting I finally got an interview.

The actual interview went very smoothly. I waited a few mins outside the interview room and an HR rep brought me down to another office. He congratulated me about getting the position. I asked him which position and he gave me a funny look. He asked “Didn’t they tell you in the interview?”
He didn’t answer, just wrote down the different positions of Usher/OBS/Customer Service Rep.

After I left the event, I was so happy. I didn’t care which job I got, I finally got my foot in the door. They said it would take two weeks to hear back.

A month later, someone from HR reached out and explained how they were sending out formal job opportunities and that the process could take up to a month or more. It has now been over three months since the hiring fair. I’ve reached out to check the status and I’ve gotten no response.

My questions are:
Given the disorganization of the career fair and the lack of response should I be concerned that Amtrak ghosted me?

Also Amtrak has had a few of these career fairs nationwide for a variety of positions, has anyone else attended them? If so, were they disorganized?

Thank you for your time!
If this isn't telling. A good window on why Amtrak is in the staffing mess it is right now. They should be embarrased. But congrats on getting the position and sounds like you are the the kind of person Amtrak needs!

If this isn't telling. A good window on why Amtrak is in the staffing mess it is right now. They should be embarrased. But congrats on getting the position and sounds like you are the the kind of person Amtrak needs!
Thank you! I’m still hoping that they extend a formal offer, but it’s not looking very promising.

Amtrak has recently posted LSA and SA/TA OBS jobs for Chicago. I would send your HR contact an email and inquire.
Hello,

My questions are:

Thank you for your time!

So firstly, I want to thank you for the post. Because this gives me an idea on how things are run. I wish that I could say that I'm not surprised that things were a mess, however Amtrak hasn't done open hiring sessions like this in an unknown amount of time, possibly ever.

Stay in touch with someone from HR. But if you have any questions please feel free to send me a PM. I will gladly answer anything that I can for you.

Just curious though. Which city did you attend this event for?

I am not surprised at all by this, but thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm sorry you had to go through that. To be honest, I'd start looking for other positions. If you really want to work for Amtrak, fine, but there are long periods of zero communication and then all of a sudden you have to make a life-changing decision very quickly because they're the ones who are impatient.

I went to a career fair at a college with a railroad engineering program in I think April. The HR person didn't even know she was going there until the day before and didn't communicate any information that wasn't on the website. Most of the presentation was clicking around on the careers page anyway. You could leave your resume, but it seemed like it would just disappear into Amtrak's IT nightmare, never to be seen again.

And then they turn around and complain that nobody wants to work and it takes so long to train folks...

Amtrak has recently posted LSA and SA/TA OBS jobs for Chicago. I would send your HR contact an email and inquire.

So firstly, I want to thank you for the post. Because this gives me an idea on how things are run. I wish that I could say that I'm not surprised that things were a mess, however Amtrak hasn't done open hiring sessions like this in an unknown amount of time, possibly ever.

Stay in touch with someone from HR. But if you have any questions please feel free to send me a PM. I will gladly answer anything that I can for you.

Just curious though. Which city did you attend this event for?
You’re welcome! I attended one of the hiring events at Moynihan Station.

I told my family about this experience and they gave an interesting perspective. They said the way Amtrak did the event might’ve been a test to weed out the large amount of people quickly. They said it might’ve also been a test to see who can handle the unpredictable nature of the jobs. I thought it was possible, but regardless of the reasons it definitely caused a lot of people to leave before the interviews.

For anyone interested, Amtrak is having an invite only hiring event at Albany-Rensselaer in the middle of August for Assistant Conductors. Just a word of advice…bring some protein bars and water because who knows what’s going to happen.

I am not surprised at all by this, but thanks so much for sharing your experience. I'm sorry you had to go through that. To be honest, I'd start looking for other positions. If you really want to work for Amtrak, fine, but there are long periods of zero communication and then all of a sudden you have to make a life-changing decision very quickly because they're the ones who are impatient.

I went to a career fair at a college with a railroad engineering program in I think April. The HR person didn't even know she was going there until the day before and didn't communicate any information that wasn't on the website. Most of the presentation was clicking around on the careers page anyway. You could leave your resume, but it seemed like it would just disappear into Amtrak's IT nightmare, never to be seen again.

And then they turn around and complain that nobody wants to work and it takes so long to train folks...
Yea that sounds very similar to the hiring event I went to. It speaks volumes about the company you apply to.
I applied to a commuter railroad back in October. Completely forgot about it until they reached out recently and said my application has moved forward and they’re conducting a background check. Amtrak was my first choice, but at this point I’ll take whatever comes first.

I told my family about this experience and they gave an interesting perspective. They said the way Amtrak did the event might’ve been a test to weed out the large amount of people quickly. They said it might’ve also been a test to see who can handle the unpredictable nature of the jobs. I thought it was possible, but regardless of the reasons it definitely caused a lot of people to leave before the interviews.

For anyone interested, Amtrak is having an invite only hiring event at Albany-Rensselaer in the middle of August for Assistant Conductors. Just a word of advice…bring some protein bars and water because who knows what’s going to happen.
Yeah no, it definitely wasn't some kind of "weed them out by having them wait for hours with no food or water" thing. They're just incompetent.

Back