Carolinian versus Silver Star from RGH to PHL?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

G.M.

Hi all! I am familiar with Amtrak (though haven't had the chance to take it many times--yet!) but am new to the Southeast. Would seasoned travelers recommend taking the Carolinian or the Silver Star from RGH to PHL? I know that the Carolinian's OTP is generally better, but that the Silver Star may be more comfortable (?) and has a slightly shorter schedule, but beyond that, I'm wondering if there's any insider info or any other factors I should consider. Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ok, while granting that the Carolinian's on-time performance may be better, I feel the "Star" is a better bet since you are limited to the "Cafe Car" on both. Perhaps more legroom too, but I can' tell. Hope others will "chime in" here.

Are you considering a roomette? Meals would be included and it would be more comfortable (and restrooms cleaner).

If the times worked for me, I would take the Star in a roomette.

Thanks to the both of you for your insights! I really appreciate it. I would love to consider a roomette, but I'm traveling for a work-related purpose--and having to book within a month of my traveling day--so the price would put it out of reach of the travel budget. Would you recommend the Star in coach over the Carolinian in coach?

Thanks to the both of you for your insights! I really appreciate it. I would love to consider a roomette, but I'm traveling for a work-related purpose--and having to book within a month of my traveling day--so the price would put it out of reach of the travel budget. Would you recommend the Star in coach over the Carolinian in coach?
Since I am a Florida resident, I prefer "Florida" trains, however, I am very concerned about dirty restrooms and I think (but am not sure), that generally shorter distance trains may have cleaner restrooms. On the other hand, the cleanliness of the Silver Star coach restrooms will depend on the coach attendant(s). A good attendant will clean the restrooms often (and they likely will be cleaner than the Carolinian), but a not so great attendant will not be regularly cleaning the restrooms. Also, some passengers are slobs and there is no way to predict with whom you will be traveling.

I have only traveled on the Carolinian for a short distance.

In the past, I have traveled for "business" where I was reimbursed for the cost of an airline ticket. Since I prefer not to fly, I paid the difference out of my own pocket.

Since I am a Florida resident, I prefer "Florida" trains, however, I am very concerned about dirty restrooms and I think (but am not sure), that generally shorter distance trains may have cleaner restrooms. On the other hand, the cleanliness of the Silver Star coach restrooms will depend on the coach attendant(s). A good attendant will clean the restrooms often (and they likely will be cleaner than the Carolinian), but a not so great attendant will not be regularly cleaning the restrooms. Also, some passengers are slobs and there is no way to predict with whom you will be traveling.

I have only traveled on the Carolinian for a short distance.

In the past, I have traveled for "business" where I was reimbursed for the cost of an airline ticket. Since I prefer not to fly, I paid the difference out of my own pocket.
Thank you--that is helpful! I am medium-level picky about clean restrooms myself, though having experienced some neglected coach bathrooms on the Builder, I can see how a shorter-distance train might have clear restrooms. Definitely no way to predict what level of general cleaning attendants will do, or what fellow passengers will be like (in any way!).
Thanks again for your help! Maybe in the future I will spring for a roomette and pay the difference between that and coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back