Carpeting...Everywhere

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cpamtfan

OBS Chief
So I just have to know who the "genius" was that thought, "Hey, lets use carpet on the walls!"

Thank the Lord that the Superliner I sleepers were saved. Unfortunately, the Superliner II sleepers and 95% of the full dining cars face the ugly mess.

It is just sad when you put the two types of cars together on a train. One is brightly lit, gives off a better feel, and heck smells better (Could've been because of the stains on the ceiling).

They really need to fix up the Superliner II sleepers. Even up to the level of the Viewliners. I could hardly spend much time in the car because of the stuffiness and just stale feeling given off. I'm glad the other car was there for my showering/business or else it would've been worse case scenerio for me.

More than one train chief (in the days when Amtrak had them) told me that their blue blazers didn't last more than eight months to a year because of all the rubbing of the sleeves on the carpeted Superliner sleeper corridors.

And I'm sure those carpeted surfaces are cleaned on a regular basis...FDA standards and all -- lol!

The carpet on the walls and ceilings doesn't look like it's been cleaned in decades. It's disgusting enough that I try not to think of all the **** people had to spill and smear over it to create all those stains. Ugh.

The carpet on the walls and ceilings doesn't look like it's been cleaned in decades. It's disgusting enough that I try not to think of all the **** people had to spill and smear over it to create all those stains. Ugh.
This is my problem with it. I have no issue with the carpet in general - but the fact that its so dirty and disgusting gives me the heebie jeebies.

I was on the Superliner ll and didn't see any carpets. Well my sleeper did have the "TIGER" sticker on it so maybe they removed all the carpet during the refurbishment?

The pictures are here: Link

But having carpet all over the place does sound horrible. Talk about dust and other SH*& on it. We had a container of lysol wipes with us just in case. With carpet, you really can't do anything with any wipes.

When I ride a Superliner I that still has carpeted everything I think: Suddenly its the 70s again, crank up the Disco!

A rehabbed Sleeper is the way to roll, especially with the nice bathrooms and paneling to go along with the nicer rooms!

Team No Carpet

I know carpeting is good for those times you might bump your head or arm, but I'd rather have cars that are easier to clean. Plus, the old carpet just looks so grungy and nasty.

And, to be honest, the carpeting is so rough that I'd rather bump my arm a bit than get carpet burn every time I get within a half-inch of it.

Seat38A:

you were on a Superliner 1 Refurb, so that is why you didn't see the carpeting!
Are there any unrebuilt S1s left? I miss the bathroom window!

The car I was in last week also had a TIGER sticker on it, so God forbid this car was sitting untouched for a few years collecting dust and/or worse.

I mean the Viewliner bedrooms are kind of eh..but at least there is a 80/20 of plastic to carpet.

Seat38A:

Thanks! How can you tell the difference between the 1 and 2
I just look at the trucks.

Top is 1 and bottom is 2.

Superliner_trucks.jpg

Seat38A:

Thanks! How can you tell the difference between the 1 and 2
In a roomette, the 1 has the nearly-useless "coat closet", the 2 has open space with hangers and a place to put small bags. That's my easy way to tell from inside.

Also the rehab Is have upgraded bathrooms that have faucets with handles instead of the push to spray levers, shower with a door instead of a curtain and rooms with digital lighting and controls!

miss the bathroom window!
Oh, I couldn't agree more. There was nothing more satisfying than moving ones bowels whilst observing the activity of a few bergs as they passed by! Ah, the 'Good Ole Days".

Boy when I saw the trucks before getting on I just rolled my eyes.

And like I said I'm thankful there was one S-I sleeper on my train. Don't know how many times I got a lap full of sprayed water from the sinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back