Cascades cancelled due to snow and ice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
From Amtrak Cascades on Facebook:

Train 500 is at Centralia and 501 will reverse to Tacoma. ...Some buses are available. Unfortunately, we will not be stopping at Tukwila, Olympia, Centralia or Kelso to avoid getting stuck on side roads. Due to road conditions it is likely to take substantially longer to travel I-5 between Seattle and Portland. We appreciate your patience.
One of the volunteers at Olympia/Lacey station reports:

Between fallen trees and frozen switches-NO AMTRAK SERVICE.

From All Aboard Washington on Facebook:

At about 12:30 p.m. Amtrak annouced suspension of service between Seattle and Portland. Train 501, which was stopped between Tacoma and Olympia and was brought back to Tacoma, and train 500, which was holding in Centralia, were terminated and buses were being brought in to rescue passengers. Service north of Seattle and south of Portland is still running, with possible delays. KIRO TV just interviewed BNSF spokesman Gus Melonas. He said all freight lines in the Northwest are operating close to normal. But then he says Amtrak service has been shut down because there are 50 some trees across the tracks between Tacoma and Centralia. Seems to be a conflice in these two statements.

From All Aboard Washington on Facebook:

At about 12:30 p.m. Amtrak annouced suspension of service between Seattle and Portland. Train 501, which was stopped between Tacoma and Olympia and was brought back to Tacoma, and train 500, which was holding in Centralia, were terminated and buses were being brought in to rescue passengers. Service north of Seattle and south of Portland is still running, with possible delays. KIRO TV just interviewed BNSF spokesman Gus Melonas. He said all freight lines in the Northwest are operating close to normal. But then he says Amtrak service has been shut down because there are 50 some trees across the tracks between Tacoma and Centralia. Seems to be a conflice in these two statements.
I am in Olympia. The local streets are a nightmare. Snow storm followed by icestorm the second day. Taking charter bus back to Seattle tomorrow. I-5 is fairly clear down here. Overnighting in SEA, then taking 8 eastbound. Hope it can clear SEA-Everett. Wish me luck...

From the Cascades on Facebook, Friday 1/20, 7:14 am PT:

Amtrak Cascades service between Seattle and Portland continues to be temporarily suspended due to numerous trees and other debris downed by severe weather on track operated by BNSF Railway Co. With the exception of Amtrak Cascades Train 500 and 501, no alternate transportation will be provided today for canceled Amtrak Cascades service.
...and a short AP story that says mostly the same thing. As a friend says, "GEESH, you'd think the TV station could at least get the correct photo."

Last edited by a moderator:
From the Cascades on Facebook, Friday 1/20, 7:14 am PT:

Amtrak Cascades service between Seattle and Portland continues to be temporarily suspended due to numerous trees and other debris downed by severe weather on track operated by BNSF Railway Co. With the exception of Amtrak Cascades Train 500 and 501, no alternate transportation will be provided today for canceled Amtrak Cascades service.
...and a short AP story that says mostly the same thing. As a friend says, "GEESH, you'd think the TV station could at least get the correct photo."
I Guess AP knows of a Equip Upgrade that we don't know .

WOW a 150 MPH talgo .. whooo.

From Amtrak_Cascades on Twitter (yesterday):

Cascades Update - Normal Cascades Service is Anticipated to Resume on January 21st 2012.
Nothing since, so I guess no news is good news.

UPDATE: From All Aboard Washington on Facebook:

Amtrak service has resumed this morning between Seattle and Portland. Let's hope the melting snow and rain don't trigger the diabolical mudslides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back