Cascades Day Trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hankster211

Train Attendant
We'll be travelling to Wenatchee on the EB this summer to visit my daughter for a few days and then on to Seattle to visit our son. While in Seattle, I thought it would be a good idea to maybe

take a day or overnight trip on the Cascades up to Vancouver.. Any advice on the Cascades itself and/or what to do, where to go, where to stay in Vancouver would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Hank

we took the cascades from seattle to vancouver, bc last month and spent a few days in vancouver. really enjoy the talgo trains on the cascades route. you go through canadian customs at the station in vancouver and on the return we were pre-cleared by us customs at the station in vancouver and then agents came on at the border for a quick walk through. we stayed at the comfort inn downtown vancouver. good price and fine for our needs. a fair walk from the station but we did it with our bags.

Nice trip! :cool: Vancouver (and Seattle also!) can be Pricey in the Summer, I suggest you Google Kayak, Priceline, Orbitz etc. to find a

Good Deal on a Hotel! A Day Pass for the Sky Train in Vancouver is a Great way to Sightsee, it includes the City Buses and Sea Bus (Ferry) to Cross English Bay to North and West Vancouver and also Don't Miss Stanley Park, Vancouver's version of Central Park which is a Great Place to spend a Sunny Day! Tons of Museums, Gardens,Granvillle island Market ,China Town etc. etc. Its also fun to Cross Over to Victoria on Vancouver Island which you can reach from Seattle via Ferry or from Vancouver on a Bus and Ferry or even Fly on a Float Plane from Vancouver if you can Afford it?

As to the Trains, there are only 2 a day, Early Morning which Arrives before Noon (right now its using Superliner Equipment

while the Cascades Set is in for Maintence)and an Evening /Night Train that arrives like @ 11:00 PM! (Biz Class isnt worth the Upgrade but is Available on this Train!) There also are several Buses up I-5 but its Much Better to Roll up Puget Sound on a Train to Beautiful B.C. ;) Don't forget your Passports!

Vancouver has hostels which are very reasonable, and close to the beach, only problem is that they don't have A/C. This is only a problem for a few weeks in the height of the summer. You can get Canadian weather info but it will be in C, not F, so make sure you convert.

I ended up taking a cab to/from the train station in Vancouver because it isn't tied in nicely with public transit. Otherwise I walked/took transit everywhere. Bus, skytrain, ferry. Bus you can buy ten-ride tickets in the convenience store to save a little money. They are good for one hour once validated (stamped) which lets you take two buses if you have to. The HI Hostel has a dude who does awesome tours of Vancouver on certain days, highly recommended. You can sign up in advance and should. Otherwise, go the beach and have a good time. There is a busy freight yard/container port right in the middle of everything (between Gastown and I guess downtown?) if you like to check out stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back