Cascades Talgo Move

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Engineer
According to a friend, two Cascade Series 6 sets is going to be coming down to Anaheim for scrap in the next few days. No idea how accurate it is.

Anybody hear about this? And would the place it's headed be the yard by the Anaheim Hills Metrolink station?

According to a friend, two Cascade Series 6 sets is going to be coming down to Anaheim for scrap in the next few days. No idea how accurate it is.

Anybody hear about this? And would the place it's headed be the yard by the Anaheim Hills Metrolink station?
It will be interesting to find out the routing in California...Coast Line, Central Valley and the Loop?

It will be interesting to find out the routing in California...Coast Line, Central Valley and the Loop?
Assuming the Coast Line. Originally they said it would be following the Starlight, but then said forget about it.. So I am not quite sure about details. That's why I came here.

It can be confirmed the owner of them wants to save them but he can't because there are no buyers for them. And his storage facility is a busy yard in Anaheim doesn't have the space for a long period of time. If you would like a memento I could try reaching out to him and offering him a price if you tell me what you want.

It'll follow the Coast Starlight route on a day it isn't running with a Starlight operating crew.

Alright, that makes sense! Thank you.

Where is the yard? If it comes through Fullerton at a reasonable time, I would love to head out to see it.

Edit: Aren't they owned by the state of Oregon or Amtrak?

It also should be going to the small yard right by the Anaheim Hills Metrolink station. Should be taking the OC sub route between FUL and ANA, and then going down the what I believe is the Olive Sub to the yard.

Anyone gonna try to catch it?

Is it going to that large scrap-rail place in Anaheim, off the 91?
There are dozens of rail cars there, and lots of tracks.
Here is a Google Earth image:
Anaheim

so... based off of this schedule, what time would you guys think it would pass through SJC?
It seems to be about an hour before the Starlight times, so I'd say about 8 AM?

Due note that the schedule is subject to change. Not sure if I'll be able to provide updates. Maybe someone else could

It seems to be about an hour before the Starlight times, so I'd say about 8 AM?

Due note that the schedule is subject to change. Not sure if I'll be able to provide updates. Maybe someone else could

The starlight is scheduled for 9:55, so that would be 9am?

Also the starlight usually does SJC to SLO in ~5:20 min according to the timetable... so if that schedule is correct with an ETA in slo at 2:07pm, and factoring in this wouldn’t be stopping like the starlight does (4.5 - 5 hours?) ... I guesstimated ~9am as well.

Does that sound right?

Last edited:
I can confirm that as of this evening around 10pm there are two P42s sitting in King Street station with one of the old series 6 Talgo sets right behind them on track 1. Not sure where the other set is. Sounds like it'll be one move for both sets though? Might try and swing by the station in the morning and see if they head out around 8:30am and post here.

As of 8:30am there are no Talgo sets sitting in King Street station anymore. I imagine they might have been moved over to the coach yard and will depart from there.
Right now. I just see a CS set sitting on western stub track (which I think it platform 1?)

From Virtual Railfan...
Amtrak Cascades Series 6 Special Run today by Chehalis, WA VR Rail Camera-
Tune into the Virtual Railfan Chehalis, WA camera today (Fri) around 11:50am Pacific time to see a double set of Amtrak Cascades Talgo 6 sets to be led by Amtrak B32-8WH #506.
The two out-of-service Talgo sets are being forwarded from Seattle to Coast Rail in Anaheim, CA for storage, sale or scrap.
This special move will follow the Amtrak Coast Starlight schedule down the Coast on its way to Southern California.
The Talgo 6 trainsets were in service in the Pacific Northwest for over two decades before being replaced by newer Talgo trainsets.

Stop by and watch this historic farewell roll-by at Chehalis this morning!
https://youtu.be/bfGaUembwA8

Back