Cascades Talgo Move

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The starlight is scheduled for 9:55, so that would be 9am?

Also the starlight usually does SJC to SLO in ~5:20 min according to the timetable... so if that schedule is correct with an ETA in slo at 2:07pm, and factoring in this wouldn’t be stopping like the starlight does (4.5 - 5 hours?) ... I guesstimated ~9am as well.

Does that sound right?
You would be correct.

Now that it's been delayed, let's see what happens to the schedule

This thread reminds me of the remorse felt after neglecting to follow my traded-in Toyota pickup truck from the dealer to the crusher and then to the <gulp> shredder. <sniff> Coulda probably had a chunk of engine block cast in acrylic for my mantle! 😢

This thread reminds me of the remorse felt after neglecting to follow my traded-in Toyota pickup truck from the dealer to the crusher and then to the <gulp> shredder. <sniff> Coulda probably had a chunk of engine block cast in acrylic for my mantle! 😢
Or...you could have saved a tire valve cap....😄

Apparently it's been delayed a week due to PTC issues and they can't get anyone out to fix it.

Huh I wonder what kinda issues they could be having. Please update us if you can when you find out an updated schedule!

What does PTC have to do with the Talgo trainset? I thought PTC was a part of the locomotives.
I don't know, just relaying information someone told me...

I was hoping someone on here would be able to support/deny this.

What does PTC have to do with the Talgo trainset? I thought PTC was a part of the locomotives.

PTC needs to know the consist you’re pulling, because it needs to know the braking profile of the train to ensure you will slow down/stop before you reach certain restrictions.

Amtrak train #865 - an equipment move (no passengers) from Seattle, Washington to Anaheim, California passes through Chehalis, Washington this morning.
These two Amtrak Cascades Talgo trainsets are headed south to Coast Rail Services reportedly to be scrapped. Sunday, February 28.
Screenshot 2021-02-28 112207.pngScreenshot 2021-02-28 111931.pngScreenshot 2021-02-28 112010.pngScreenshot 2021-02-28 112259.png

Gee...is that the set for the Las Vegas train promised after the Desert Wind was cancelled? LOL
No, but it would be great if this train set was bought by Alabama or Mississippi for the new Gulf Train set to go in 2022....

Here's a video of the train sets in Holgate Yard at Seattle yesterday by YouTube user B-Town Railfan.

And here's a video of the train sets being moved filmed by Subpowerzero66.

I do find it upsetting to see them retired so soon but 20 Years seems to be a standard life span for modern rail equipment including locomotives (Dash 8s). Look at the Acela fleet Amtrak is looking to retire. I have heard nothing about keeping the old trainsets for additional service or rebranded service.

Back