Cascades Weekend

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Maglev

OBS Chief
Just a quick trip report on a quick trip from Orcas Island to Portland... I opted for as much public transportation as possible on this trip, and that was a good thing because there was some bad weather on my return. I drove from home to the Orcas Island ferry terminal and parked in the long-term lot. The weather on the ferry trip to Anacortes was rainy and slightly choppy, and we arrived a few minutes late. I then boarded a van to Burlington, where we transferred to a bus to Sea-Tac. The bus stopped only at Marysville on the way, and drove via I-5 through Seattle.

At Sea-Tac, I walked to the light rail station and caught a four-car train to the International District Station. From there, I went to a coffee shop for lunch before going to King Street Station to wait for my Cascades train. There was no pre-assignment of seats, but there was a Business Class waiting area. Business Class boarded first, and as usual that end of the train was away from the station. I got a seat on the two-seat side, which has the scenery of Puget Sound past Tacoma, but the conductor asked me to move to the single-seat side. A half hour later, he assigned the seat I had at first to a single traveler. We arrived in Portland about ten minutes late.

I had a nice visit with my sister and her family in Hillsboro. I was a little disappointed with the Comfort Inn where I stayed, but noted there is an Embassy Suites near their apartment for future visits. On the morning of my departure, I caught a very crowded light-rail train to Union Station. The trains in Portland are limited to two cars by platform length. The Cascades train back to Seattle was not crowded, and I had no problem securing a pair of seats on the scenic side. There was a little bit of snow on the ground in southern Washington, and it was snowing but bare in Seattle when we arrived. But there was quite a bit of snow on the route the bus took (via I-405) to Burlington, and I had to do a good scraping on my truck when I arrived back at Orcas.

Didn't take a camera along, but here's a "proof-of-travel" pic:

IMG_7942.jpg

Maglev

OBS Chief
...wanted to add that there is new furniture in the Metropolitan Lounge in Portland, while the Series VI Talgo trains are looking kind of sad. In both seats I sat in on the way down, there was some sort of minor problem; and the exteriors and bathrooms are dingy.