Celebrities on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When John Madden hosted Saturday Night Live in 1982, they filmed him traveling on Amtrak to get to New York to host the show.

It's on Hulu here: (train footage starts around 1:30 in)

Although I've not seen her, Aretha Franklin is terrified of flying and loves to take the train. She most recently took the train to Cleveland to a special concert honoring her at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

And this may not be a celebrity sighting, but "Big Bang Theory" did a very funny episode when they all took the train (at Sheldon's insistence, because the character is a HUGE railfan) from L.A. to San Francisco and they spotted actress Summer Glau ("Firefly", "Serenity") in their car. The episode mostly revolved around seeing whether any of them would be able to get her phone number while on the trip.
Last summer the producer and the cast of the Big Bang Theory all rode the train from LA to San Diego for Comic-Con.

I had breakfast with Brian Rosenwald on teh Starlight several years ago. Does that count? LOL!

I have met many celebrities in my career and may travels on Amtrak, some of them have been Gladys Knight, (pipless on a train that got to Detroit at midnight), Carrol O'Connor with his wife and son (it was not too hard for him to be Archie, especially the way he acted on the National Limited.) Also Sherwood Rowland a Nobel Laureate and probably the most powerful man in the world at my time of meeting him was Bill Clinton!

I have met many celebrities in my career and may travels on Amtrak, some of them have been Gladys Knight, (pipless on a train that got to Detroit at midnight), Carrol O'Connor with his wife and son (it was not too hard for him to be Archie, especially the way he acted on the National Limited.) Also Sherwood Rowland a Nobel Laureate and probably the most powerful man in the world at my time of meeting him was Bill Clinton!
What was your career?

The only celebrity I have actually met on Amtrak is the actor from Coach who played Dauber... Bill Fagerbakke. He and his sister were going somewhere on the Surfliner a couple of years ago.

BUT, the cool thing regarding celebrities that I saw came from a First Class attendant on Acela. He had a scrapbook of "celebrity" ticket stubs. When a celebrity comes aboard, he asks them to sign their ticket stub (autograph) and puts them in his scrapbook.

He actually let me photograph all of the stubs, but later ask that I don't post them on-line. So, if you ever see me in person -- I can show you my photos of them -- but he asked they not be posted.

Some of the celebrities included world leaders (some Queen from Africa actually has AGR), Chelsea Clinton, a lot of sports stars from the northeast, Bill Clinton, and Joe Biden and his wife (who use fake names when traveling)... very interesting collection he has!

Seated across from Bill Bennett today from WAS to NYP. About midway through the trip, former National Security Advisor to Carter, Zbigniew Brzezinski, stopped by to talk shop with Mr. Bennett. It was fascinating to hear them talk about Iran, the GOP race, and Obama. Toward the end of their chat, both praised Amtrak and agreed that Acela was the way to go. Quite a braintrust between these two gentlemen. Both will be returning on the 4P back to WAS.

I saw Scott Pelley in Penn Station Baltimore a few months back right before he took over the CBS evening news. I've also seen Richard Belzer once in that station also. I frequently go through Union Station, but I've strangely enough never seen any famous there. I guess it is because I'm always there on the weekends.

Railiner, John Madden hit my home town sometime in the early 70's when the Empire Builder stopped there due to flooding. They had a couple hour delay for the water to recede and John Madden led a crowd from the EB to the Mint Bar in Glasgow Montana where he proceeded to buy every Miller Lite in the bar for his Amtrak friends and the small but happy crowd of Mint regulars, this being around noon, if memory serves. The Mint ended up having to buy all the Stockman Bar's Lite beer to keep the party going. After a couple hours a very jolly Amtrak crowd re-boarded the EB and off they went...

One of the most prolific celebrities of all time to ride regularly was former CBS commentator and NFL coach John Madden. From the end of the 1970's and the last of the steam heated trains into the early 1980's with Superliners and HEP fleet, he was a regular rider during the NFL season, and was well know to train crews and passengers.

I had the pleasure of riding the CZ three different occasions with him during the years. Unlike other celebs, who might hibernate in their rooms, he was a terrific people person, and enjoyed mixing with fellow passengers. Indeed, he held court until late night in the lounge car, talking football and imbibing in the product of his biggest sponsor--Miller Lite.

On several occasions, he would lead a group of revelers off the train, and into a nearby bar during service stops such as McCook, Ne., to the amazement and delight of the proprietor and patrons, for a quick one. He became an expert on all things Amtrak, and he knew crew and station personnel everywhere.

Sadly this all ended when he was given a luxury tour-bus motorhome to do his travels in, which he found more efficient to get around in then having to deal with the sparse routings and schedules that Amtrak offered.

One tidbit....He was not afraid of flying, but rather suffered from a severe form of claustophobia that manifested itself when the aircraft took off, and he felt trapped on board. He did fly during the years he coached the Oakland Raiders prior to his CBS job.

S
This is a good example of what I said....

When John Madden hosted Saturday Night Live in 1982, they filmed him traveling on Amtrak to get to New York to host the show.

It's on Hulu here: (train footage starts around 1:30 in)
Thanks for that link! It really captured the man's personnae. As well as a winter trip into NYG on No. 48........

Traveled Acela FC yesterday from Boston to WAS. In New York, Tom Clancy and his family boarded after a weekend in the city and his daughter-in-law and granddaughter shared a four-topper with us (train was sold out). Very nice family, Mr. Clancy read almost the entire time. They got off in Baltimore.

Saw Ray LaHood on the #158 NE Regional last week going to NYP. Only noticed him after I realized I was standing behind a secret service agent while we were pulling through the tunnels. He was riding with his wife to NY and at least 2 agents in regular coach class. They were greeted by half the amtrak police dept it seems when we arrived at NYP.

There aren't any acelas that late on a saturday but kind of surprised nobody from amtrak bumped him to business class.

There aren't any acelas that late on a saturday but kind of surprised nobody from amtrak bumped him to business class.
It could have been a last minute trip and no seats were left. Can't really bump paying customers in that case.

Or perhaps he simply told Amtrak not to do that.

I love Wes Anderson. They filmed part of moonrise kingdom in Rhode Island! I can't wait to see the grand Budapest hotel.

I love Wes Anderson. They filmed part of moonrise kingdom in Rhode Island! I can't wait to see the grand Budapest hotel.
Ditto. I saw the trailer before another movie, and it looks stunning. The visuals... cinematography... whatever you call it. I can't put my finger on why, but it captivated me.

Ditto. I saw the trailer before another movie, and it looks stunning. The visuals... cinematography... whatever you call it. I can't put my finger on why, but it captivated me.
Yes his films have a look to them that are just breathtaking.
Keep your eyes on the listings the movie is just in major cities so it hasn't made it to PVD yet but I'm certain it will come to our local "artsy" theater.

I rode the CZ with Madden twice in the 80's. The first time we met in the lounge car outside Sacremento, had dinner and lunch two of the next days. The second time I met him he remembered me as the crazy librarian who hated flying as much as he did. We had lunch and dinner the next two days as well and he was in the roomette next to me. A very engaging and entertaining man, I would travel cross country with him anytime,,,,,,,

Burl Ives was in my car on a eastbound Empire Builder back in the 80's. We shared a quick hello at the coffee stand a few times on the way to the Chicago. Meryl Streep sat across from me on a southbound FC Acela to WAS. My wife and I had one five minute conservation with her but otherwise we respected her privacy. On another southbound FC Acela to WAS, U.S. congressman Charles Rangel and former U.S. Senator Sam Nunn were traveling separately in our car. Both men were very hospitable and I had lengthy conversations with both of them.
I will now add Matthew Modine to my list! He was on the northbound Crescent yesterday. What a truly nice down to earth gentleman. My wife and I were fortunate to have him seated with us for both breakfast and supper. We had nice general conversations with him. He was very friendly to all of the patrons in the dining car. He even gave us a free acting lesson!

I've been on the Silver Star back several years ago (2009 maybe) with Clay Aiken. He was in the room next to me in the sleeper. He kept to himself and I left him alone.

Back