Change 48/49/448/449 Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, on Empire Service trains the DM has been been running all the way to Niagara Falls, not sure about the Leaf. Maybe they switched some years ago, but any of the trains I've taken in recent years no.
The last time I took the Maple Leaf, in November 2019, the engine was changed in Albany both directions. And those Maple Leaf runs were truncated in Niagara Falls, NY anyway, just like its other Empire Service sisters, since the Whirlpool Bridge was closed for maintenance. We were bustituted between Niagara Falls, NY to Toronto both directions.

There are train length limits at both BOS south station and NYP due to the tracks that Empire trains have to use. IMO the best solution is to run 2 trains west of Albany and have both be a combination of a BOS and NYP. Then you have ability to serve stations that now have only late night service.

More important combining a 7 - 9 car NY train with a 4 - 6 car train = 11 - 15 car train west of Albany. Moreover you have more passengers on these trains that will spread the costs of non-revenue cafe, diner, and maybe a lounge cars? A single BOS train by itself to / from CHI could never attract the passengers that this combination can.

There have been a couple of periods when 448 and 449 ran as stub trains between Boston and Albany, with cross-platform transfers to the Lake Shore. I recall this going on for two or three years in the mid-2000s, and for another shorter period more recently. It was a hassle for through travelers, and some of us really missed the sleeper.

I for one would love to see a second frequency between Albany and Boston, especially if it offered a real schedule alternative to the Lake Shore. In particular, the eastbound arrival at 8 p.m. (with actual arrival times frequently much later) is a real deterrent to me using this line on many trips.

The line from Springfield to the NY state line has some real mountain railroading, with lots of curves, so I'm not sure a car-competitive schedule is going to happen without a huge expense. But an eastbound that arrived in Boston by early afternoon, and a westbound departing in late afternoon would sure be useful. And it would be better still if it could connect to service heading west across New York.

I have to add that a highly technical interpretation of the ADA has been preventing sales of revenue space in the bag dorms. This would probably be waived or altered by law or regulation if Amtrak had a better reputation in the disability community, but it has such a bad track record on disability issues in other ways that nobody is inclined to be generous.

Back