change departure station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearabull

Train Attendant
I currently have a roomette starting in Granby, Co on my way to Naperville, IL.
Can I get on the train in Denver instead without having to contact amtrak? I did not realize the long delay there so am thinking I just as soon depart from there.

I believe you need to call Amtrak and make the change. If you don't show up to board in Granby, my understanding is that your reservation may be cancelled. I do not believe there is a charge for this change but others may have had more experience with this than I have.

As Rasputin noted, being a 'no show' at Granby would likely get your entire reservation, possibly including future segments, cancelled before the train arrives at Denver. Also, per Amtrak cancellation policy, https://www.amtrak.com/refund-and-cancellation-policy, there's no refund with a 'no show'.

As you're boarding 75 miles 'later' than ticketed, you may get a partial refund for the 'unused' miles, probably as a voucher. Although you could probably go to the Amtrak.com booking screen and click 'modify trip' (in the upper right of the screen), you're better off calling the 1-800 number and speaking with someone to modify your reservation.

https://discuss.amtraktrains.com/threads/northeast-regional-boarding-at-a-different-station.54338/

Two folks there, VaPassenger and Alex, indicated they were able to change to a later departure station by calling and having a manager giving approval. Unsure whether they still do it, but in my opinion they absolutely should, charging more for boarding later makes no sense to me.
The worst thing is that sometimes changing to a later station increases the fare, rather than decrease..

Does anyone have any more recent experiences with changing the departure station through AGW customer service, or just by boarding at a later station with the initial ticket?

Back