Change of Station on Wolverine?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodcut60

Lead Service Attendant
Does anyone know why Amtrak changed Birmingham, MI, to Troy, MI, as a stop on the Wolverine? In older system timetables Birmingham is mentioned, but in the current timetable Troy is the station stop between Pontiac and Royal Oak.

Does anyone know why Amtrak changed Birmingham, MI, to Troy, MI, as a stop on the Wolverine? In older system timetables Birmingham is mentioned, but in the current timetable Troy is the station stop between Pontiac and Royal Oak.
It's because it's a different station. Troy built a new station a bit further down the tracks and now the trains stop there instead of the old stop in Birmingham.

The new Troy station is maybe 100 yds south of the old Birmingham stop. It is accessed from the east side of tracks in Troy.

Thank you both for your comments. So the City of Troy built a new train station. What happened to the train station in the City of Birmingham? Demolished? Converted into a shopping mall?

As far as I know the old Birmingham "station" that was used by Amtrak before Troy opened was just a platform and a shelter. The actual historic station building had been converted to a restaurant many years prior and hadn't been used for passengers for ages.

The platform and shelter look like they are gone now based on the latest Google Maps satellite view.

The original brick and mortar station building is now an upscale eatery called Big Rock Chophouse.

Is there anything in Birmingham that isn’t upscale? On one of my recent trips there to visit family I saw the fanciest Kroger I’ve ever seen. ..it was like something out of Beverly Hills CA minus the palm trees!

The Hunter House right across Woodward from that Kroger is about as low scale as it gets in B'ham.

Great place for sliders while cruising Woodward.

Is there anything in Birmingham that isn’t upscale? On one of my recent trips there to visit family I saw the fanciest Kroger I’ve ever seen. ..it was like something out of Beverly Hills CA minus the palm trees!
Here's a Google Earth view of the Kroger (under the Ralphs name) to Beverly Hills -- no palm trees visible here, either.

tqGboc3.jpg

The Troy station also eliminated an at-grade track crossing; there are now platforms for both tracks with an elevator overpass. The host railroads tend to *really prefer this* for safety.

Back