Changes in Amtrak tickets printed at kiosks

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCL

Engineer
I've noticed that with the new Amtrak kiosks (are they still called Quik-Trak?) there have been a couple of new things. One is that the ticket paper stock (rev 02-2021) is considerably different. It has no perforations. It's also nice and rectangular all the way and has to be cut since there's no perforations. The previously ones (rev 7-2010) had a mini-stub on the left with the name of the printer (Magnetic Ticket & Label) and revision date, and then a stub that detached. I hate it because the perforations worked too well and I had the stub on my 10-ride ticket fall off where I ended up reattaching it with Scotch tape.]]

This looks like the old Quik-Trak machines. The print is not as beefy as the tickets produced by machines that station agents print on.

Copy-of-DSCN1489.jpg

The new ticket stock has almost everything though. There's the same warning on the back that a ticket is void if the "passenger receipt" (I think it means the stub) is detached, even though it's not perforated. But the new Quik-Trak kiosks seem to print out a lot thinner. I used it to print out a receipt (I guess that's an option in the new machines that the old ones didn't have) but things like the total charge (need this for a Southwest disruption reimbursement) were really tiny.

As far as I can tell, this is really just a nod to eTicketing, since there's no more reason to have stubs that tear off (or are there still some cases where detachment is needed?).

I did print up an eTicket at a newer QT machine at Anaheim and it was still on the older style paper. But the machine cut the paper and it was slightly off where there was a little bit of of paper past the perforation.

Back