Changes to Amtrak Midwest and additional Wolverine RT

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DetroitDave

Train Attendant
The reservation system also shows three eastbound trains a day starting on September 6. 7:20 a.m., 1:25 p.m., and 5:50 p.m. departures from Chicago. But they only show two trains going back west, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Does anyone have the timetables? I realize Amtrak is currently trying to conceal the timetables because there are complete fools in management.

I don't think the reservation system has been fully and consistently updated with the new service information on the Michigan Corridor for June, as of now (noon 5/18/21). The Amtrak web site is run by some lowest bidder outfit these days apparently, who do not necessarily employ the brightest bulbs in the chandelier, sadly.

If you click “Schedules” on the Amtrak website you can view the scheduled service between two endpoints on a given day. This seems to be their substitute to formal timetables - likely because so much is in flux with COVID. The new Wolverine trains don’t start until July 19th, so you won’t see any changes until then…

Anyone who is in Michigan should contact Michigan DOT, rail division, and ask them where the timetables are for the updated Wolverine service.

Explain that you're reading news reports about them but that Amtrak doesn't seem to be publishing any timetables, so you sadly guess you won't be able to take those trains.

That'll wake up the people in Michigan DOT who are paying Amtrak to run the trains.

Checking Amtrak for future dates shows that on Mon., July 19, all the Illinois trains (IL Zephyr/Carl Sandburg, Lincoln Service, and Illini/Saluki) go back to full schedule and the Wolverine goes to two round-trips. However, a third Wolverine doesn't reappear until Mon., Jan. 3.

Checking Amtrak for future dates shows that on Mon., July 19, all the Illinois trains (IL Zephyr/Carl Sandburg, Lincoln Service, and Illini/Saluki) go back to full schedule and the Wolverine goes to two round-trips. However, a third Wolverine doesn't reappear until Mon., Jan. 3.
What's full schedule for the Illinois trains?

Not including long-distance trains covering the same routes, the full Illinois schedule is:
Illinois Zephyr & Carl Sandburg Chicago-Quincy
Four Lincoln Service round-trips Chicago-St. Louis
Illini & Saluki Chicago-Carbondale

In other words, a trip in either direction (to and from Chicago) in the morning and another in either direction in the evening, except for the Lincoln Service with two each way in the morning and two each way in the evening.

In other other words :) double what Amtrak's been running through Covid.

For CHI to KAL and return there appear to be morning, later morning and evening departure schedules for the Wolverine / Blue Water, nothing around 1-2pm. I'm using dates in October 2021.

Is this about as good as it will get this year or is there a chance they will return to full schedules before October?

Thanks

For CHI to KAL and return there appear to be morning, later morning and evening departure schedules for the Wolverine / Blue Water, nothing around 1-2pm. I'm using dates in October 2021.

Is this about as good as it will get this year or is there a chance they will return to full schedules before October?

Thanks
Hard to say Jaime, lots depends on Funding from both the Feds and the State of Michigan, as well as the Status of the Pandemic in the Fall in Illinois and Michigan.

Hard to say Jaime, lots depends on Funding from both the Feds and the State of Michigan, as well as the Status of the Pandemic in the Fall in Illinois and Michigan.

Thanks Jim, looks as though it may be best to put that idea on the back burner for now.

We already have our newly minted European Travel Passes, just waiting to see if the US is going to remove any entry travel restrictions for Europeans, we can't visit if we aren't allowed in.

Thanks Jim, looks as though it may be best to put that idea on the back burner for now.

We already have our newly minted European Travel Passes, just waiting to see if the US is going to remove any entry travel restrictions for Europeans, we can't visit if we aren't allowed in.
A friends daughter and grandchildren from Denmark are visiting here in Austin.

They arrived on Friday after flying from Copenhagen to Frankfurt to Houston to Austin( the Direct London-Austin flights aren't operating right now).

Probably because they are Dual Citizens, they had no trouble coming here, but they did have to show proof of a Negative Covid Test before being allowed to board in Frankfurt.

Honestly, I'm concerned that by Fall the Delta Variant, and the irresponsible behavior by too many Americans, will create another "Wave" and International Travel will once again become Very limited to Impossible!🥺😷

Probably because they are Dual Citizens, they had no trouble coming here, but they did have to show proof of a Negative Covid Test before being allowed to board in Frankfurt.

Honestly, I'm concerned that by Fall the Delta Variant, and the irresponsible behavior by too many Americans, will create another "Wave" and International Travel will once again become Very limited to Impossible!🥺😷
Their sort of travel has never been disallowed throughout the pandemic though. What has generally been disallowed is where you have to get a visitor visa or use of Visa Waiver program.

For example, in principle I have been allowed tot ravel to and fro between India and the US provided I provided a negative test within 72 hours of the flight, and another negative test upon arrival within 4 days to avoid a quarantine - with some variations in the details thrown in with a few additional relaxations with vaccination in some cases. This has been enough to sustain 5 daily non stop flights between India and the US through most of the pandemic now starting sometime in Sept-Oct 2020.

Their sort of travel has never been disallowed throughout the pandemic though. What has generally been disallowed is where you have to get a visitor visa or use of Visa Waiver program.

For example, in principle I have been allowed tot ravel to and fro between India and the US provided I provided a negative test within 72 hours of the flight, and another negative test upon arrival within 4 days to avoid a quarantine - with some variations in the details thrown in with a few additional relaxations with vaccination in some cases. This has been enough to sustain 5 daily non stop flights between India and the US through most of the pandemic now starting sometime in Sept-Oct 2020.
Thanks jis.

The only International Travel I'm interested in doing soon is to Canada, and Australia, both of which are currently Closed to American Tourists.

Mexico is open to Americans via Plane, but Land Border Crossings are prohibited
via Vehicle. You can walk across to Border Towns to Shop, get Medical Treatmemt etc. /Passport required)

I'm surprised there's still that much traffic between the US and India with the Pandemic raging in India !(according to the Media.)

Last edited:
I'm surprised there's still that much traffic between the US and India with the Pandemic raging in India !(according to the Media.)
On this date officially US has a higher number of cases per million than India does (according to Our World In Data). So it is not clear where you are worse off.

US and India entered into a so called "Bubble Agreement" back sometime last year with specific protocols to be followed to allow travel. That is what governs travel between US and India. There are similar Bubble Agreements with the UK and several other countries with their own associated protocols.

Arguably, those flighs are probably flying only half full on the passenger deck. But they are heavy cargo carriers below deck. So overall they earn their keep and thus keep flying. They are all relatively large wide bodies capable of carrying a large number of containers below deck.

On this date officially US has a higher number of cases per million than India does (according to Our World In Data). So it is not clear where you are worse off.

US and India entered into a so called "Bubble Agreement" back sometime last year with specific protocols to be followed to allow travel. That is what governs travel between US and India. There are similar Bubble Agreements with the UK and several other countries with their own associated protocols.

Arguably, those flighs are probably flying only half full on the passenger deck. But they are heavy cargo carriers below deck. So overall they earn their keep and thus keep flying. They are all relatively large wide bodies capable of carrying a large number of containers below deck.
Makes sense,thanks for the info.

I wouldn't go anywhere outside the US right now, but in all honesty there are parts of the US where I wouldn't want to be right now too!( the 5 States with the Highest number of "Delta Variant" Cases and Hospitilizations are Colorado,Utah,Arizona,Arkansas and Nevada( what Happens in Vegas DOESNT Stay in Vegas!!!🤯)😷

Really hoping the border opens up before the end of the summer. It's really important for reasons I won't go into here, but if anyone has good info please send me a message.

Really hoping the border opens up before the end of the summer. It's really important for reasons I won't go into here, but if anyone has good info please send me a message.
Ontario seems to be having the most problems right now according to my Inlaws and Friends that live there,but Alberta and BC also have strict protocols, resulting in no Trains North of Seattle,and of course we can't cross into any Canadian Provence right now to ride VIA.

IINM " Essential Travel" is permitted under Strict Profocols for Business,Government or Medical/Family Matters.

Makes sense,thanks for the info.

I wouldn't go anywhere outside the US right now, but in all honesty there are parts of the US where I wouldn't want to be right now too!( the 5 States with the Highest number of "Delta Variant" Cases and Hospitilizations are Colorado,Utah,Arizona,Arkansas and Nevada( what Happens in Vegas DOESNT Stay in Vegas!!!🤯)😷
Here's the New York Times Covid Data page:

Covid in the U.S.: Latest Map and Case Count - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

The map is very enlightening. The real hotspots are in southwestern Missouri and bordering parts of Arkansas, Houston, Texas and a scattering of small rural counties in Texas, and a scattering of rural counties in other parts of the country.

What Can I Do After Vaccination? A Guide for Covid-19 Risk in Your County - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

The risk levels shown in this map are based on both the number of new cases and the test positivity percentages. The hot spots seem to be as listed above, plus most of the West and Texas, with some exceptions, like LA and the Bay area. The lowest risk areas are in the northeast. Maryland, with the exception of two counties in the far northeast of the state, is all low-risk. Other parts of the northeast, including most of the New York metro area are high risk. All of Massachusetts is low risk. Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are doing pretty well, except for some of the more rural upcountry counties. I guess I did the right thing by planning our vacation trip and my Amtrak joyride to New England and Albany (all low risk).

These case counts and risk assessments change daily, so you really need to check them out frequently. If you're fully vaccinated, the risk of catching Covid is pretty small, but you might still want to wear a mask in crowded places (as I do) on the remote off-chance that you've become asymptomatic and could spew deadly aerosols to people who can't get vaccinated (due to being immunocompromised or not being able to find a vaccination site).

@ BobDylan @ jis
As UK citizens we need to use the visa waiver so not possible at the moment, but thanks for the extra info.

@ Michigan Mom
We had to cross a European border using an imperative to travel protocol which wasn't life or death just pretty important. We were questioned at the border but only gently then wish well and told to proceed.
Maybe you can find accounts of others who have made the journey you wish to make to get a feel for the situation?

Good luck

@ Cal
Probably because it's so interconnected with travel at the moment?

Back