Changes to Capitol Limited/Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another site describes a change that will alter the schedule for the two trains to make a run through of the consists in Chicago. A look at schedules seems to support this with an earlier Texas Eagle departure from Chicago with a longer dwell in St Louis to have minimal schedule change south of there. Apparently the change was to eliminate Chicago having to service the two trains. Can anyone confirm?

This appears to be how they are restoring daily service to these two trains - saving a set or two with the run through and taking mechanical work out of Chicago which is severely understaffed.
So where would any mechanical work on these trains be done? DC? San Antonio does not impress me as having a significant mechanical department but perhaps I am incorrect.

Is there any indication that this would be positive for passengers?
Wouldn't it provide coast-to-coast service between WAS & LAX 3x a week? Would it eliminate one overnight?

Not the most scenic route, but it would be the first coast-to-coast train in many years.

Maybe being a 2-night train between WAS & Texas would earn full dining service.

Wouldn't it provide coast-to-coast service between WAS & LAX 3x a week? Would it eliminate one overnight?

Not the most scenic route, but it would be the first coast-to-coast train in many years.

Maybe being a 2-night train between WAS & Texas would earn full dining service.
No, because you would still book it under two different trains (the CL and TE) and you would still have to get off in CHI so they can clean the train. It would just mean the consist moves on to the TE instead of turning around to be the CL, everything else, IIRC, stays the same.

No, because you would still book it under two different trains (the CL and TE) and you would still have to get off in CHI so they can clean the train. It would just mean the consist moves on to the TE instead of turning around to be the CL, everything else, IIRC, stays the same.
Through ticketing was offered when they did this previously and they did not clean the rooms of those passengers so ticketed. Coach passengers did have to leave the train however, and sleeper passengers who exited the platform were not permitted to return until general boarding of the second leg. We wound up leaving since the wait was over lunchtime and nothing was available on the train while in CUS. An "occupied" sticker was applied to our bedroom door. I'm going with '97, but could be off by a year.

San Antonia definitely has maintenance personnel. Every time thru there they did work on whatever I was on. Talked to one who was replacing a marker light. Said they worked on the standby sleeper and coach that laid over there. Now whether that is still the case have no idea either maintenance or spare cars?

EDIT: Checked there is a vacancy at SAS for maintenance foreman. So definitely maintenance there.

Last edited:
A two hour scheduled stop at Saint Louis. How silly. Why don't they just stay there all night.
That is for an FRA mandated inspection that has been moved out of Chicago to work around staff shortage in Chicago shops while making the service daily. The alternative would be to simply keep the service 5 days a week or cut it down further to stay within the capabilities of Chicago shops. 🤷‍♂️

That is for an FRA mandated inspection that has been moved out of Chicago to work around staff shortage in Chicago shops while making the service daily. The alternative would be to simply keep the service 5 days a week or cut it down further to stay within the capabilities of Chicago shops. 🤷‍♂️
Thanks for explaining that. That really should help ridership immensely.

I was going to say, consider it a chance to get off the train and walk around. But upon further investigation, St. Louis Gateway station looks very unwelcoming, has no platform shelters, limited seating, is under and surrounded by freeway ramps, gets lots of bad reviews, seems to have only a KFC/Pizza Hut counter for food, and there are reports of aggressive and nasty security guards.

Would an inspection require everyone to get off the train?

I was going to say, consider it a chance to get off the train and walk around. But upon further investigation, St. Louis Gateway station looks very unwelcoming, has no platform shelters, limited seating, is under and surrounded by freeway ramps, gets lots of bad reviews, seems to have only a KFC/Pizza Hut counter for food, and there are reports of aggressive and nasty security guards.

The Hilton Union Station hotel is just a couple of blocks from the train station. It would be a great place to visit, and dine, during the inspection if they allow you to detrain. Not sure how well the hours work for that, though.

https://www.stlouisunionstation.com/

No.

If I am understanding correctly, the inspeciton is the same one that happens to the Chief at Albuquerque -- Very little if any impact to passengers. It would just be a very long fresh-air stop (possibly the longest on the system?)

If I am understanding correctly, the inspeciton is the same one that happens to the Chief at Albuquerque -- Very little if any impact to passengers. It would just be a very long fresh-air stop (possibly the longest on the system?)
Yes. The 1500 mile inspection.

Back