Changes to Capitol Limited/Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Through ticketing was offered when they did this previously and they did not clean the rooms of those passengers so ticketed.
I certainly hope they do this. With the 11:55 Chicago departure through passengers would not need to detrain to get lunch.

It’s interesting that even with the 3 hours in Chicago, the time WAS-STL is less than 26 hours. Amtrak’s National Ltd took about 24.

Also, I don’t know if the Capitol is running with 2 sleepers, but if it is why not have the second one continue to LA to save switching and servicing at Chicago of the CHI-LAX sleeper.

If I am understanding correctly, the inspeciton is the same one that happens to the Chief at Albuquerque -- Very little if any impact to passengers. It would just be a very long fresh-air stop (possibly the longest on the system?)
Also happens at Minot, and Spokane, and Denver…

Also, I don’t know if the Capitol is running with 2 sleepers, but if it is why not have the second one continue to LA to save switching and servicing at Chicago of the CHI-LAX sleeper.

It's been running with one sleeper, no lounge, and two always-packed coaches. Capitol Limited in coach for the last two years hasn't even been a better experience than a Greyhound bus.

At least with maintenance being done somewhere other than Chicago, there should be fewer instances of boarding #30 on time in Chicago, only to sit in Union Station for an hour or two because the same mechanical problem that delayed that morning's #29 was never fixed.

It's been running with one sleeper, no lounge, and two always-packed coaches. Capitol Limited in coach for the last two years hasn't even been a better experience than a Greyhound bus.

I rode the Capitol in coach last June. It wasn't that full, and it was way better, though slower, than a Greyhound bus. I rode it in sleeper last October, but I walked through the coaches to look out the railfan window, and the coaches didn't seem excessively packed. They also were letting people use the CCC as a lounge between meals, and while it wasn't as nice as a sightseer lounge, it was OK.

At least with maintenance being done somewhere other than Chicago, there should be fewer instances of boarding #30 on time in Chicago, only to sit in Union Station for an hour or two because the same mechanical problem that delayed that morning's #29 was never fixed.

Heh, now of course, what will happen is that the outbound #21 will sit in Union Station for an hour because the mechanical problem that delayed that morning's inbound #29 still needs to be fixed.

I was going to say, consider it a chance to get off the train and walk around. But upon further investigation, St. Louis Gateway station looks very unwelcoming, has no platform shelters, limited seating, is under and surrounded by freeway ramps, gets lots of bad reviews, seems to have only a KFC/Pizza Hut counter for food, and there are reports of aggressive and nasty security guards.

Would an inspection require everyone to get off the train?
It’s right on the light rail and one stop from beautifully restored Union Station where one could have a drink. Alternatively, one could ride the light rail to Laclede’s Landing or the Cardinals Sports District. These are doable in one hour, so certainly possible.

It looks like Amtrak is still allowing you to book the connection from the westbound Lake Shore Limited to the Texas Eagle, even though that's now only an hour and 47 minutes between trains after both trains had their schedules lengthened. It seems like that connection could be missed fairly often.

I rode the Capitol in coach last June. It wasn't that full, and it was way better, though slower, than a Greyhound bus. I rode it in sleeper last October, but I walked through the coaches to look out the railfan window, and the coaches didn't seem excessively packed. They also were letting people use the CCC as a lounge between meals, and while it wasn't as nice as a sightseer lounge, it was OK.

I took it the last two weeks from WAS-CLE, and the main problem I experienced was that there was a passenger who needed a good talking-to or to be kicked off the train. Two weeks ago this guy was shouting into his phone after midnight playing f**/marry/kill on the phone, making vulgar comments about pictures of girls. Then last week we had a guy who was a suicidal alcoholic and wanted everyone to know it, to a point where he was drunk trying to bum money off of me for mixers, that guy shouted into his phone after midnight as well. Both nights, the Coach Attendant of course sat in the lounge all night and did nothing, which seems to be the job description.

I took Greyhound yesterday from CLE-CHI, operated by Baron's Bus, and there was no drama, everyone was quiet, had both seats to myself. Generally you can expect that in Ohio, every trip operated by Baron's Bus will be reliable.

No, because you would still book it under two different trains (the CL and TE) and you would still have to get off in CHI so they can clean the train. It would just mean the consist moves on to the TE instead of turning around to be the CL, everything else, IIRC, stays the same.

what about increased exposure to knock on effects of late running?

or will there be a spare train in Chicago to cover for that?

what about increased exposure to knock on effects of late running?

or will there be a spare train in Chicago to cover for that?
Just like there is a spare train in Denver and Albuquerque to take care of late running? 😬 As a matter of course there won't be. 🤷‍♂️

Just think of it as a 1987 mile each way single train operationally. The SWC is over 2200 miles.

Last edited:
Just like there is a spare train in Denver and Albuquerque to take care of late running? 😬 As a matter of course there won't be. 🤷‍♂️

Just think of it as a 1987 mile each way single train operationally. The SWC is over 2500 miles.
This doesn't really change your point, but the SWC is less than 2,500 miles, as are the the EB and CZ.

This doesn't really change your point, but the SWC is less than 2,500 miles, as are the the EB and CZ.
OK corrected in the original to say "over 2200 miles" instead of over "2500 miles". :thanks: for catching the error.
He may be talking when combined with the Capitol as one through train.
No I gave an erroneous number in the original. Now corrected.

Double check restaurant times at the Union station hotel. I’ve stayed there many times. Restaurant is not always open when you expect it to be.
Is there a way to get to the Union Station Hotel by walking (with luggage) from the Gateway Amtrak station or do I get on the Metrolink? How did you do it? Thanks.

Is there a way to get to the Union Station Hotel by walking (with luggage) from the Gateway Amtrak station or do I get on the Metrolink? How did you do it? Thanks.
It is about a half mile walk from the Amtrak Station to the Union Station Great Hall. The Union Station Metro stop is about half way, and a little less if walked through the Union Station shed. The last time I was there it was not possible to walk through the shed due to construction, which is most likely done by now. Anyhow that was the reason I walked it back then. Whether to walk or not would depend on the quantity and nature of luggage that needs to be moved.

It is about a half mile walk from the Amtrak Station to the Union Station Great Hall. The Union Station Metro stop is about half way, and a little less if walked through the Union Station shed. The last time I was there it was not possible to walk through the shed due to construction, which is most likely done by now. Anyhow that was the reason I walked it back then. Whether to walk or not would depend on the quantity and nature of luggage that needs to be moved.
I, too, walked it, with luggage in 2019. At that time the aquarium had not opened but the shed was mostly open. But I'm pretty sure either the Metro station was not open, or not easily accessible due to construction.

Back