Changes to Capitol Limited/Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For Cardinal and LSL that would be an iffy connection as those trains can be 2 hours late or more. The CL maybe since you have a little over 3 hours.
The connection from the Capitol Limited will always work, because the Texas Eagle (21) will be using the equipment from the Capitol Limited. So if the Capitol arrives really late, the Texas Eagle will have a delayed departure..

My wife and I are going to NYC and Western Maryland Scenic Railroad for our 10th Anniversary in mid-October. Out on #8 and 50 and back on #29 and #7 from Tomah, WI.

We really like having our separate bedrooms OR roomettes... so no one gets the upper bunk. Just too old for that! LOL

Anyway, when we went to book a few weeks ago, the roomettes were $496 EACH... or almost $1000 for two roomettes. Just Cumberland, MD to Chicago

So, we opted for the Family Bedroom which was actually cheaper than one roomette... and were just going to make it work. Had room 15 in the 2901 car.

Got an email overnight from Amtrak that our reservation was modified... and we were getting two roomettes in the 2900 car, as our Family Bedroom is no more.

That actually worked out to what we wanted all along! But I guess if I had a family and we all wanted to be together, that would not be good.

I was just surprised we didn't get a call or an explanation really --- just a ticket showing our reservation was now two roomettes.

From what I can gather, the Capitol Limited to Texas Eagle consist will now extend through the fall... and there will only be ONE sleeper. So perhaps the 2901 car has been pulled. And then my guess is the family bedroom on the 2900 car is going to be used by crew --- as on the Texas Eagle the crew gets the 4 roomettes and family bedroom on the lower level now.

But wow, this totally eliminates the family bedroom from ever being an option for folks on the Capitol now. Not good.

From what I can gather, the Capitol Limited to Texas Eagle consist will now extend through the fall... and there will only be ONE sleeper. So perhaps the 2901 car has been pulled. And then my guess is the family bedroom on the 2900 car is going to be used by crew --- as on the Texas Eagle the crew gets the 4 roomettes and family bedroom on the lower level now.
I wonder ...
Do they draw lots for the "child" berths, or do the 2 shortest members of whichever sex get stuck in them? :)

Yep, Amtrak is using the SP playbook to "Run 'em Off" for these 2 Orphan Trains. 🤬
Wait, Amtrak comes up with a plan to restore the Capitol Ltd. and Texas Eagle to daily service a couple of months ahead of a bunch of other long-distance trains and, because the plan is admittedly somewhat of a kluge, it's a sign Amtrak is sabotaging these two trains?! :rolleyes:

So they trying to skip Chicago maintenance by calling this a through train. I be very surprised if the FRA allows this to happen. If your kicking passenger out in Chicago and cleaning and stocking the trainset before boarding passenger again, it’s not a thur train. Amtrak is doing a end run around the FRA inspection by calling it a through train. A enroute inspection is not the same as terminal inspection, which is not the same level of care as a home vs away terminal inspection.

Amtrak going to get its hand slapped for this. The lawyers are going to have a field day if this train derails.

Last edited:
So they trying to skip Chicago maintenance by calling this a thur train. I be very surprised if the FRA allows this to happen. If your kicking passenger out in Chicago and cleaning and stocking the trainset before boarding passenger again, it’s not a thur train. Amtrak is doing a end run around the FRA inspection by calling it a thur train. A enroute inspection is not the same as terminal inspection, which is not the same level of care as a home vs away terminal inspection.

Amtrak going to get its hand slapped for this. The lawyers are going to have a field day if this train derails.
This doesn't make sense. First, they've done it before with no apparent consequences. Secondly, passengers are "kicked out" (to use your term) at various points on many routes and their space - whether seat or room - is turned over without terminal cleaning. As for restocking supplies, why does it matter? They could just as easily restock anywhere on the route if commissary facilities existed without defining two trains. This train stops in Chicago where they have the ability to resupply it. It seems pretty straightforward.

So they trying to skip Chicago maintenance by calling this a thur train. I be very surprised if the FRA allows this to happen. If your kicking passenger out in Chicago and cleaning and stocking the trainset before boarding passenger again, it’s not a thur train. Amtrak is doing a end run around the FRA inspection by calling it a thur train. A enroute inspection is not the same as terminal inspection, which is not the same level of care as a home vs away terminal inspection.

When did Amtrak ever call it a through train?? Isn’t the only thing that’s “through” the equipment?

22 just went by Tower 55 at 13:51 with three cars. Three cars? I bet its not going to WAS with three cars..................................I hope.

Amtrak is the one try to skip maintenance work on a trainset. Substitute a enroute inspection instead of a terminal inspection on this equipment. The list of things to inspect and what need to be fixed is dependent on the location, and type of inspection. A wheel tread defect will need to be address at a home terminal prior to the equipment go back out. It has different standards if your doing a end of run inspection. Or if it’s discovery during a enroute inspection.

It's not advertised as a through train. The only people who know the cars run through Chicago are Amtrak employees and railfans.
I noticed the CL arrived in Chicago at 12:05PM earlier this week. The TE leaves ten minutes earlier. Wonder if people transfering to the TE just stayed in their seats

Couple of questions for the audience:

With the run through is there no longer a 322/321? I tried to look to book and can only book stl-chi on 22 or 21.

Has anyone taken the service through stl? Do they allow customer access to terminal now while it remains in station?

I believe it does, so what is happening that we are not seeing on the cam? What is involved in the mandatory inspection?

The requirements for an exterior and interior calendar day inspection are spelled out in 49 CFR 238 Subpart D.

Equipment must be inspected once per calendar day or every 1,500 miles. A calendar day means any time from 0000-2359. So a car inspected at 0001 on Monday doesn’t need another inspection until 2359 on Tuesday. The same applies to locomotive calendar day inspections.

There is an exception for late trains. If a train misses its scheduled calendar day inspection, the passenger cars may continue in service to the next location the inspection was scheduled to be performed. Locomotives do not have this exception and arrangements will be made to inspect locomotives prior to their expiration at 2359. Engineers can do the inspection line of road without a Qualified Mechanical Person.

And it starts…

From Amtrak Alerts,

Capitol Limited Train 29 which departed Washington (WAS) on 4/2 is currently operating approximately 3 hours late due to freight train interference west of South Bend (SOB).

Texas Eagle Train 21 which is due to depart Chicago (CHI) on 4/3 will be delayed departing due to the late arrival of inbound equipment. Updates to come.

And it starts…

From Amtrak Alerts,

Capitol Limited Train 29 which departed Washington (WAS) on 4/2 is currently operating approximately 3 hours late due to freight train interference west of South Bend (SOB).

Texas Eagle Train 21 which is due to depart Chicago (CHI) on 4/3 will be delayed departing due to the late arrival of inbound equipment. Updates to come.
It just left it seems, 90 minutes late.

Back