Changes to Your Upcoming Trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildchicken13

Train Attendant
Just received the following email from Amtrak:
Amtrak said:
Hi,

We wanted to let you know that train #393, from Chicago, Illinois on Sunday, March 20th, has been affected due to a service disruption. Don't worry, we've already set up alternate transportation for some or all of your route, and there's nothing you need to do.

If you have questions, you can give us a call at 877-231-9448 to speak with an Amtrak Agent.

We're sorry for the inconvenience. Thanks for being a valued Amtrak customer - we'll see you onboard.
Does this mean there will be a bus instead? I am happy to take the bus but I have never boarded a bus from Chicago Union Station before.

Yep, we call it Bustitution.
Thanks, Bob! I wish they would just say that in the email. I would call the number but I lost my voice so that would be rather silly.

Just a couple more questions: I received a second identical email from Amtrak today to which the following line has been added:
Passengers have the option of going to Millennium Station to Homewood via Metra Electric Line.
No problem, I've ridden Metra Electric plenty of times before. My first question is: Do I need to pay for the Metra ticket separately, or can I simply show the conductor my Amtrak ticket and they will honor it? It's not expensive, but I would rather not pay extra.

My second question is: What is the best way to get from Union Station to Millennium Station? It's not a long distance and I will be carrying only a backpack, so I would be happy to walk, but I was thinking of taking the Chicago "L" train instead. Is this practical?

I see you are from Austin (Texas, not Chicago) so perhaps someone who is more familiar with the area can chime in.

Thanks, Bob! I wish they would just say that in the email. I would call the number but I lost my voice so that would be rather silly.

Just a couple more questions: I received a second identical email from Amtrak today to which the following line has been added:

No problem, I've ridden Metra Electric plenty of times before. My first question is: Do I need to pay for the Metra ticket separately, or can I simply show the conductor my Amtrak ticket and they will honor it? It's not expensive, but I would rather not pay extra.

My second question is: What is the best way to get from Union Station to Millennium Station? It's not a long distance and I will be carrying only a backpack, so I would be happy to walk, but I was thinking of taking the Chicago "L" train instead. Is this practical?

I see you are from Austin (Texas, not Chicago) so perhaps someone who is more familiar with the area can chime in.
We have several Members from Chicago, and since schedules and policies have changed due to COVID( I haven't been in Chicago in over 2 years so I defer to one of them.)

Im not sure about Metras current policies either, but since the ticket office is in Union Station it would be an easy transition. I'd say call Amtrak about the options IF the Hold Time isn't too Longand your voice comes back.

As you know Millennium Station is walkable from Union Station as it's close. The L stop isn't far either, across the River towards the Loop by the Sears Tower.( old name)

I would imagine you'd have to pay for it on your own, although Amtrak may reimburse you. I'd highly doubt that you'd be able to just show your Amtrak ticket on board - you'd need some sort of Metra ticket as there's no cross-honoring that I'm aware of. The best place to check would be at the Amtrak Customer Service counter after getting off in Chicago - I doubt the phone agents would know anything about it. I'd also ask them about where to catch the bus if you'd prefer to do that.

Most (all?) Metra Electric trains also stop at Van Buren Street - if you're walking that's where I'd go to. Shorter walk than Millennium and also a fairly nice station if recollection serves. There's a few buses east-west that'd get you closer if you want to save on walking (looks like 1, 7 and 126 all go near there.) If you're wanting to take the L, I'd go to Millennium just because you'd get a bit longer ride - though it still probably wouldn't save much in terms of walking and may take more time overall. That said, you could take the Brown Line from Quincy (a few minutes from Union Station) to Washington/Wabash, where you're looking at another couple blocks of walking.

Last edited:
Thanks, jebr! I appreciate the information. I think I will take the Amtrak bus from Union Station to Homewood since that would save me the hassle of having to go to Millennium Station or Van Buren Street.

Back