Changing a reservation rules

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know how much I can change a reservation? If I have a coach reservation can I only change the date or destination also? Can it be any destination or only on the same route? Can it be upgraded to a roomette with additional payment?

You can pretty much change anything.

You can add sleeper if you are willing to pay the accommodation charge plus a rail fare difference if you are at anything except second "value" coach bucket.
Well, it's the "pretty much" part I'm asking about "mostly" hahaha
Specific question: can a simple coach reservation be changed to an entirely different sleeper reservation without losing the original fare?

Last edited:
Specific question: can a simple coach reservation be changed to an entirely different sleeper reservation without losing the original fare?
Your question is not clear. Perhaps you should be more specific.

If you got a great deal on a coach trip on the Empire Builder e.g. and want to change that to a sleeper ticket on the Southwest Chief, I doubt that would work except by getting the credit for the coach fare towards the new fare.

If you got a great deal on a coach ticket between CHI and Fargo and want to change it to a sleeper ticket with the same coach deal between CHI and SEA, I also doubt that would work except by getting the credit for the coach fare towards the new fare.

But remember that you pay a 2nd lowest bucket coach fare plus the room charge for the sleeper so if coach fares are much higher than that, you'll benefit because the travel charge will be low.

A coach ticket currently can be cancelled and turned into a voucher, good until 1 year past cancellation (though recent cancellations suggest that if you've paid with a voucher, the reissued voucher keeps the old expiration date.) You can use that for a sleeper reservation if you wish, and the value would go towards the current price of the new reservation.

Note that after the COVID-19 waiver ends (currently expiring on January 4, 2022) there'd be a 25% penalty for cancelling a "Saver" ticket at any time, with the same penalty applying if a "Value" ticket is cancelled less than 14 days before departure.

Back