Changing return ticket on board train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ParanoidAndroid

OBS Chief
Suppose I'm riding the eastbound CZ, and I'm turning around at Galesburg to get on the westbound CZ. If the eastbound is so late that I'd miss my connection there, would it be possible to modify my return trip from a earlier station (say, somewhere in Iowa) to make the connection there? Preferably without the increased cost of changing so close to departure?

Suppose I'm riding the eastbound CZ, and I'm turning around at Galesburg to get on the westbound CZ. If the eastbound is so late that I'd miss my connection there, would it be possible to modify my return trip from a earlier station (say, somewhere in Iowa) to make the connection there? Preferably without the increased cost of changing so close to departure?

Absolutely. Talk to the Conductor on your eastbound CZ about what station would be best to insure that you don't miss the WB CZ. And be sure to talk to him well before your WB train is scheduled to depart Galesburg so your ticket won't risk being cancelled as a no-show.

Several years ago, while riding NEC train #141 to WAS to catch #29 to CHI later that day, I checked up on the status of a CSX coal train that derailed in suburban WAS 2-3 days before. The wreck hadn't yet been fully cleaned up. I also verified that train #30 was 'short turned' at PGH to become #29.

I could have simply let Amtrak bus me along with 2 other busloads of unhappy travelers WAS->PGH to catch #29. Instead, I CALLED the 1-800 Amtrak number and spoke with an agent that let me change my tickets 'on the fly' to get off #141 at NYP, and take the Pennsylvanian #43 to PGH to board #29 there. It took me a while for her to figure out how to modify my ticketing.

As Chakk indicated, let the conductor or your sleeping car attendant know you'll be getting off earlier than planned. But you definitely have to CALL and get your tickets changed, otherwise, you'll be treated as a 'no show' (no refund!) on the westbound CZ and your reservations cancelled from that point onward.

Back