Charger Led #5 involved in Crash with Concrete Truck near Reno

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on whether the concrete truck was loaded at the time of impact. Not looking up the regulations in California, but some states will allow a concrete truck to weight up to 80,000 lbs. This one does not seem to have the axles need for that weight. The weight of the truck of course will increased amount of damage. So is it “something big” or just a “Mini Cooper” well lets just say weight is more important than size.
I would like to see an 80,000lb Mini Cooper though, just for the kicks. o_O

BTW I do agree with the basic point you are making.

I would like to see an 80,000lb Mini Cooper though, just for the kicks. o_O

BTW I do agree with the basic point you are making.

Just curious, but does anyone know what happened to the truck driver? Initial reports said two Amtrak employees were sent to the hospital with minor injuries but said nothing about driver. Am wondering if truck was stuck on tracks and he bailed fore collision. Any ideas?

Just curious, but does anyone know what happened to the truck driver? Initial reports said two Amtrak employees were sent to the hospital with minor injuries but said nothing about driver. Am wondering if truck was stuck on tracks and he bailed fore collision. Any ideas?
According to some reports, there was also a third person sent to hospital with minor injuries. I had assumed that was the truck driver, but don't know for sure.

Most entities have the same maintenance agreement. However, the Brightline equipment is quite different from the locomotives that are plying the states. Additionally, I believe Siemens is local to the Brightline operation. That is not necessarily the case with the rest of the units which at this point, are scattered coast to coast.
I thought the Brightline SCB-40s had the same basic structure, just a smaller engine? Wouldn't the cab be the same?

I thought the Brightline SCB-40s had the same basic structure, just a smaller engine? Wouldn't the cab be the same?

Same engine but derated in operation.

The cab is exactly the same. The addition thing on them is the streamlined nose cone which seems to also do a good job of spearing cars at grade crossings.

Same engine but derated in operation.

The cab is exactly the same. The addition thing on them is the streamlined nose cone which seems to also do a good job of spearing cars at grade crossings.
Ah yes, forgot about that. Why don't the other engines have the streamlined nose? Coupler access?

Yes, the Brightline trains are semi-permanently coupled.
The coupler behind the nose cone is a standard Tightlock Coupler.

Amtrak and the states preferred not to have to fiddle with shrouds to get to the front coupler. While the Brightline folks wanted to aesthetically make the train look more like an integrated higher speed train rather than a bunch of random equipment thrown together into a train.

Last edited:
I haven't heard how fast the train was going, but it seems the Charger held up pretty well considering a concrete truck is a pretty solid object.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back