Charleston, West Virginia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogbert617

OBS Chief
NOT the one in South Carolina, for the record of course lol!

Anyway I was thinking down the road, I may do a trip to Charleston via the Cardinal. Have visited here a few times in the past on road trips, but have never taken a trip here via Amtrak before myself. And like my other past threads, wonder if anyone else has visited here on their own in the past, and can add any info about interesting things to do in this city? I know it seems like there'd be a few things to do like some good restaurants and bars, i.e. the fact that I remember visiting Black Sheep on a roadtrip going through Charleston and liking that place. Also, it looks like Pies and Pints would be an interesting place to eat and drink at, per reviews I've read about it. Plus it seems like there'd probably have to be a few other decent restaurants and bars there, than just Black Sheep and Pies and Pints.

As for things to do, I remember years ago going to the state capitol here, and liking it. Also there are a few other things one can do there, such as visit the West Virginia History Museum(a state based history museum for that whole state in Charleston), and also the Shoney's Big Boy Musuem. Though from looking it up on google( https://goo.gl/maps/ZzwFs9WdTjf4fJL47 ), that it more seems like a historical plaque than anything else.

What do the rest of others have to say about Charleston, who've ever visited this city? Whether on a roadtrip, or by some chance if you ever spent any time there visiting any friends or family there? Thanks.

There's a Shoney's Big Boy Museum?:D

Charleston is a frequent stopover point for snowbirds headed in either direction, becoming more popular since the cut-off between I-79 and I-77 has become known as the biggest speed-trap in North America. I've stayed in the Marriott there once, but never toured the area. The hotels in Beckley - just south of there tend to be more affordable for a one-night stopover.

Is there much to do near the Amtrak station without a car? I know there's a Four Points Sheraton that should be walkable in decent weather, and you could be stuck there for one or two days waiting for the return train depending on your dates.

How about catching a minor league game? The West Virginia Power play in Appalachian Power Park, about a mile or so from the Amtrak station. The Power is the high A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners, so with their current tanking strategy--excuse me, I mean step back strategy--their lower minor league affiliates are stacked with interesting prospects. Look for Logan Gilbert and George Kirby as pitchers, Cal Raleigh as catcher, and more...

We went last year and got to see Jarrod Kelenec and Julio Rodriguez--two blue chippers that will likely be in AA to start the season this year, and maybe advance beyond. Wish we could make it this year, but no likelihood of that.

There's a Shoney's Big Boy Museum?:D

Charleston is a frequent stopover point for snowbirds headed in either direction, becoming more popular since the cut-off between I-79 and I-77 has become known as the biggest speed-trap in North America. I've stayed in the Marriott there once, but never toured the area. The hotels in Beckley - just south of there tend to be more affordable for a one-night stopover.

Is there much to do near the Amtrak station without a car? I know there's a Four Points Sheraton that should be walkable in decent weather, and you could be stuck there for one or two days waiting for the return train depending on your dates.

If the online reviews I read on google are any indication, it sounds like it's more some random outdoor displays and a few statues in an outdoor area you can visit any time, rather than a proper indoor museum per se. I hadn't yet looked up where the Shoney's Big Boy Museum is on google street view, but probably will soon.

How about catching a minor league game? The West Virginia Power play in Appalachian Power Park, about a mile or so from the Amtrak station. The Power is the high A affiliate of the Seattle Mariners, so with their current tanking strategy--excuse me, I mean step back strategy--their lower minor league affiliates are stacked with interesting prospects. Look for Logan Gilbert and George Kirby as pitchers, Cal Raleigh as catcher, and more...

We went last year and got to see Jarrod Kelenec and Julio Rodriguez--two blue chippers that will likely be in AA to start the season this year, and maybe advance beyond. Wish we could make it this year, but no likelihood of that.

That is interesting, they have a minor league baseball team. I actually didn't realize that, and for sure that's something I'd consider doing if one of their games occurred during the April/May(forget when it begins) to September season, AND I coincidentally was in town during their season. Will keep a West Virginia Power minor league game in mind, as well. Now I just need to figure out which specific minor A league, they play in myself!

The West Virginia Power is in the "Sally" League--or the South Atlantic League when you're being formal about it. Next year's schedule is already out. First home game is April 9th, last home game is September 4th. The park was built sometime around 2005 or so, and is one of the nicest minor league ballparks I've had the pleasure to attend. Not a bad seat in the house, which may be because it only seats 4500. Nice, intimate place to watch baseball.

Incidentally, the park is adjacent to the railway lines, and features an authentic locomotive horn, blown for home runs. So there's a rail tie-in as a plus!

Back