Chase offer: 10% off Amtrak w/ $9.00 maximum, expires Aug 13

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diesteldorf

Lead Service Attendant
This is probably targeted, but you can get 10% on Amtrak, up to $9.00, per card. I had it on 4 of my Chase cards. I may book some travel, and/or cancel and get e-vouchers, since I know I'll use any credits within the next 12 months.

I’ve seen it on all my Chase cards and I think WF as well. Too bad it seems to be targeted to corridor or short distance travel since it’s capped at $90 tickets for a $9 discount. That being said I’ve seen some hotel deals on my Chase and WF that can save some real money if you need a hotel. Marriot and Hyatt have both had 15 and 20 percent offs up to $65 discount total. B of A has similar offers as well. If nothing the discounts can make up for the annual fee on cards that have one such as the AGR card. We also saved $20 bucks on our Disney Plus streaming service..

For Chase to offer an Amtrak discount that might mean something. Perhaps they are thinking of coming back in the AGR program come Sept.
It means nothing. It's not a discount, it's a cash-back offer. I didn't get it on my card, but I have 60 other merchant-specific cash-back offers. My other credit cards have similar numbers of offers.

For Chase to offer an Amtrak discount that might mean something. Perhaps they are thinking of coming back in the AGR program come Sept.
Already debunked:
I doubt it means anything. I got the exact same deal on both Chase (though, strangely, not all of my Chase cards, only one of them) and BofA (I don’t have an Amtrak card with BofA). I will often see those kinds of deals being offered by both Chase and BofA, and having multiple Chase cards (including two of the same type), I will sometimes get the same, sometimes get different offers on each card.

Not sure what triggers it, but it is almost 100% certainly not related to any kind of future branded credit card deal.
FWIW, I have it on my Chase SW card, not not Marriott/Freedom/United/Sapphire Preferred. Clearly that means that WN and 2V are merging and the airline people will be in charge forever.

It means nothing. It's not a discount, it's a cash-back offer. I didn't get it on my card, but I have 60 other merchant-specific cash-back offers. My other credit cards have similar numbers of offers.

You get money back for what you spent, so that is a discount.
It is not a traditional "cashback" either since the money is not loaded into your cash back balance. A few days after the transaction, your account is credited for 10% of the amount. I have done that several times with Riteaid, Starbucks, and DD.

I don't think it is an indicator of anything, but something until they figure out what to do on launching yet another bank to handle their Amtrak-branded card. Rumor mill on AU was that it was to be Capital One. If I recall, this is the outfit that was issuing such branded cards many years with a credit line for some of a useless $500. I have never applied for such cards with Amtrak. They are too unstable switching banks too often, sometimes onto banks I can't stand like Cap-1 and BofA.

You get money back for what you spent, so that is a discount.
It is not a traditional "cashback" either since the money is not loaded into your cash back balance. A few days after the transaction, your account is credited for 10% of the amount. I have done that several times with Riteaid, Starbucks, and DD.
As you said, you get money back. Money is cash -- cash back. Call it a rebate if you prefer.

A discount by definintion is applied at the time of purchase or payment. Percentage discounts generally are not limited to a certain dollar amount.

I don't think it is an indicator of anything, but something until they figure out what to do on launching yet another bank to handle their Amtrak-branded card.
There's a basic difference: the marketing purpose.
  • The cash-back offers are intended to attract new customers, or to nudge potential customers off the fence.
  • The branded credit card, also known as a loyalty credit card, is intended to promote customer loyalty, i.e., to encourage repeat business of existing customers.

Back