Cheap Private Car Opportunity.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just favorited this post. I’ll keep an eye out for future trips. Once did a positioning move on the caritas from Chicago to nyp back in the 90s.
Thanks to the generosity of Clark Johnson, then owner; myself and some friends got the opportunity to ride the Caritas from Limon to Denver in the '80's. A short, but sweet ride over rare mileage...
default_cool.png

Car: Hollywood Beach

9/24: STL-CHI train No. 304

9/25: CHI-DEN Train No. 5

9/29: DEN-CHI Train No. 6

10/1: CHI-STL Train not specified

Cost:$2,500 for all legs

Reservations: [email protected]

Food: Included

Note: The current Amtrak ticket price for this route is $999 in business and sleeper. This also includes all nights on the car in Denver so not a bad deal.
Looked like Hollywood Beach was on the end of Amtrak #5(25) running a couple hours late last night at Agency, Iowa.

Hollywood Beach is a beautiful car on the inside. I could definitely recommend anyone to charter it. I don't know the new owner but it's a remarkable car. It's not one of a kind however.

The Seaboard received three Sun Lounge cars for the Silver Meteor. One was scrapped after a fire gutted it by Amtrak. The other one I believe Palm Beach was the name survived and was last seen at Gateway Railcar a decade ago. Hollywood is now stored at Gateway between runs.

Hollywood Beach is a beautiful car on the inside. I could definitely recommend anyone to charter it. I don't know the new owner but it's a remarkable car. It's not one of a kind however.

The Seaboard received three Sun Lounge cars for the Silver Meteor. One was scrapped after a fire gutted it by Amtrak. The other one I believe Palm Beach was the name survived and was last seen at Gateway Railcar a decade ago. Hollywood is now stored at Gateway between runs.
This is the car we're talking about, right?

SunLoungeSB.jpg

I used to drool over that car, whenever my family sent Grandpa off to Florida for the winter, in the mid-fifties, from Pennsylvania Station, New York. I can still 'sense it', in my mind's eye, gleaming on the platform, with steam wafting up around it....
default_smile.png

Hollywood Beach is continuing its journey now heading east on Amtrak #6(28).

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to drool over that car, whenever my family sent Grandpa off to Florida for the winter, in the mid-fifties, from Pennsylvania Station, New York. I can still 'sense it', in my mind's eye, gleaming on the platform, with steam wafting up around it....
default_smile.png
If you want to ride it I can keep my eyes pealed for it. Opportunities arise on a regular basis.

Two different trips from Charlotte, NC to Washington, DC for the cherry blossoms. See the link for details. I'm on crew for this one which is my bias.

IMG_7557.JPG

The Dearing is making several trips this year from Savannah, GA to Washington, DC. Trips depart on 3/31, 4/12, and 7/2.

The cheapest rooms available are $800 per person for staying on board. For staying in a hotel makes it $1,300 double occupancy.

Other that the Dearing and the CP RHS nothing new to report.

I should have another here in a few days.

Next trip to announce.

Braddock Inn and NYC 38 going from Washington, DC to Williamsburg, VA on March 30th.

This trip however is not being run by the CP Huntington RHS like the Cherry Blossom. This one is my own trip. So if there are questions I will happily answer them in PM as I'm only posting the announcement here.

http://www.atlanticrailtours.com/

IMG_7649.JPG

So the Tidewater Limited is kaput? Too bad as it was in my price range as opposed to the above $1000 trips.

Anderson is the gift that keeps on giving. His actions caused the possible demise of the Huntington group. Please post any other reasonably priced trips if such things exist. Sorry about the Tidewater. Had just about decided on it.

Anderson is the gift that keeps on giving. His actions caused the possible demise of the Huntington group. Please post any other reasonably priced trips if such things exist. Sorry about the Tidewater. Had just about decided on it.
That's why we say "Ride 'em while you can!" 

I missed out on Iowa Pacifics operation of the Hoosier State and their PV offering on the  City of New Orleans by procastinating. :(

I'm more than happy to keep posting things as I find them. If new River train comes back in any form this year I strongly recommend riding it.

I'm sure I'll be offering a PV trip of my own sometime this year. Can't tell you when or where because I'm busy exploring a polar express operation in Central Europe.

Never procrastinate in this industry because things are here today and gone tomorrow.

Polar express I have heard is a high price event.  Something like 50% gross to the brand.  Is this correct?  Iowa Pacific wrote there own X-mas story just to avoid that price.

I wouldn't know I'm not involved with that end of it. I'm just the railroad and language liaison. So my client is the one working with them. I do have their requirements for franchise.

Well here are a few more trips that we're just posted.

Hollywood Beach (Two Trips): the former Seaboard Airline Sunlounge.

Illinois Traveler (6/7-6/9) Saint Louis-Chicago-Carbondale (Same Day Turn)-Chicago-Saint Louis. And the prices are fairly cheap for the day seats.

More Information: http://www.aaprco.com/travel-opportunities/hollywood-beach-illinois-traveler/

AAPRCO Convention Trip (9/14-9/22): Saint Louis-Chicago-Albuquerque-Chicago-Saint Louis. Price: $3,250.

More Information: http://www.aaprco.com/travel-opportunities/hollywood-beach-aaprco-convention/

Moonlight Dome-Birch Grove
Former B&O Dome Sleeper Lounge, and former Southern Pacific 10/6 Sleeper running with a professional chef.

AAPRCO Convention Special: (9/8-9/21) Chicago-Seattle-Los Angeles-Albuquerque-Chicago.

More Information: http://www.cincinnatirailway.com/cincinnati-railway-goes-west-september-2019/

NumTrain/Anthrotracks: July 4-8. New York-Pittsburgh-New York
This one is a charter I've been contracted to operate. Cars scheduled to appear Pacific Home (10/6 Anthrotracks), Pacific Union (10/6 Anthrotracks), Mount Vernon (Crew Car and NumTrain), Birken (Bar Car open seating for both groups), Passaic River (Lounge Car NumTrain).
Both charters are operating together with the same crew, menus, and amenities. Tickets start at $250 for NumTrain, $1,700 for Anthrotracks.

More Information NumTrain: https://sites.google.com/view/numtrain/home?authuser=0
More Information Anthrotracks: https://anthrotracks.com

Back