Baggage checking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As posted wlsewhere it may be lack of the required replacemets of some of the V-2 baggage cars. The andatory 5 year brake overhaul may e a choke point. Maybe lack of spare parts.

Was just on the advisories site. Any mention of the Capitol Limited and Southwest Chief baggage has been removed from the advisory as of today. It now just reads that checked baggage is suspended on the Carolinian and Pennsylvanian. Unsure of what this means or if they posted something in error (either the original posting or this updated posting)...worth continuing to watch for sure.

If that is still true, that means the 2 Superliner trains will not have this problem. Maybe somebody forgot there is such as thing as 31xxx Superliner coaches with a secure baggage room when they originally wrote it and only looked at where VL-II baggage car lines were being withdrawn.

Of course Amtrak Express remains "temporarily" suspended since Sep 15, 2020 to prepare for tri-weekly operation.

It appears the checked baggage suspension notice was in error. There is no alert posted anymore for the CL or the SW Chief. Not sure about the two single-level trains out of NYP, though.

It appears the checked baggage suspension notice was in error. There is no alert posted anymore for the CL or the SW Chief. Not sure about the two single-level trains out of NYP, though.
I am not sure what went on but my understanding is that Amtrak reconsidered the suspension of baggage on the CL and Southwest Chief and suspended baggage on some other trains instead. However, maybe it was an error and was never intended to apply to the CL and the Chief. Amtrak is often short on explanations.

We traveled on 448/449 over the past two weeks. These trains do not have checked baggage service, but our car attendant placed our larger bags in #10 and if the H room is not in use, it has been used for bag storage as well. Coach passengers on Superliners have an option to store larger bags downstairs, but unless you are leaving from end points (Chicago, LA, etc) there may be limited space boarding intransit.
Those bag coaches have a lot of room but unless you are lucky enough to board at a station offering checked luggage (Cleveland for us), that may not work either. All those nice bag cars that came out a few years ago need maintenance and unfortunately the labor shortages are becoming a serious problem for Amtrak.

We traveled on 448/449 over the past two weeks. These trains do not have checked baggage service, but our car attendant placed our larger bags in #10 and if the H room is not in use, it has been used for bag storage as well. Coach passengers on Superliners have an option to store larger bags downstairs, but unless you are leaving from end points (Chicago, LA, etc) there may be limited space boarding intransit.
Those bag coaches have a lot of room but unless you are lucky enough to board at a station offering checked luggage (Cleveland for us), that may not work either. All those nice bag cars that came out a few years ago need maintenance and unfortunately the labor shortages are becoming a serious problem for Amtrak.
Thanks for the update.

Just to make it clear the discontinuance of checked baggage service on the Boston section of the Lake Shore, trains 448 and 449, took place around 2017 or 2018 and is not related to the pandemic. 448 and 449 used to have one of the brand new baggage cars until the discontinuance.

Hi. I will be travelling on The Cardinal out of NYC Penn in February. Please can anyone confirm that I can drop off Checked Baggage the evening before please around 19:00. Thanks.

Hi. I will be travelling on The Cardinal out of NYC Penn in February. Please can anyone confirm that I can drop off Checked Baggage the evening before please around 19:00. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure you can check baggage 24 hrs in advance of train departure. I've done it 12 hours before train. Worse case scenario would be paying for overnight storage which might still be better than schlepping them to Penn St at 6 AM

New checked baggage question not covered in the eight pages of posts so far as I can tell.

Suppose one is leaving from a non-checked baggage station on a LD (CZ westbound). One layover in SAC +9Hrs and then on CS to SEA, a checked bag station. Roomette or bedroom, no coach. All Superliner so there is available carry on luggage rack downstairs. Boarding station attendant has a history of being friendly but could be picky about rules.

Goal is to get as many luggage bags of max weight from boarding to destination. There is no concern about carrying all my own bags on and off as long as I can make multiple trips.

I should be able to have carry on "2 Personal Items Up to 25 lbs. and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each 2 Carry-On Bags Up to 50 lbs. and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each." Also, I can pay $20 extra each for "A maximum of two excess bags are permitted per passenger". So that gets a person 2 small bags, 2 medium size bags, and 2 more bags of unknown size = 6 bags.

1). Since the boarding station is non-checked bag, am I still allowed to carry on 2 more 'checked' size type bags "Up to 50 lbs. and 75 linear inches*" that every other Amtrak passenger who boards at a checked station gets to bring too (so I can be dragging 8 bags total on), or, will I likely be stopped at 6?

2). Would I be able to get on with 8 bags, and then at the next longest stop be able to check 2-4 of those bags to destination?

3). The extra two bags I would pay $20 each for, could they be sized up "Oversized Baggage (76-100 linear inches*) or would sizing up and extra likely be $40 per bag? How about sizing up the other two checked bags for $20 each, so total 4 100" linear inch bags plus the 4 carry on size?

New checked baggage question not covered in the eight pages of posts so far as I can tell.

Suppose one is leaving from a non-checked baggage station on a LD (CZ westbound). One layover in SAC +9Hrs and then on CS to SEA, a checked bag station. Roomette or bedroom, no coach. All Superliner so there is available carry on luggage rack downstairs. Boarding station attendant has a history of being friendly but could be picky about rules.

Goal is to get as many luggage bags of max weight from boarding to destination. There is no concern about carrying all my own bags on and off as long as I can make multiple trips.

I should be able to have carry on "2 Personal Items Up to 25 lbs. and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each 2 Carry-On Bags Up to 50 lbs. and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each." Also, I can pay $20 extra each for "A maximum of two excess bags are permitted per passenger". So that gets a person 2 small bags, 2 medium size bags, and 2 more bags of unknown size = 6 bags.

1). Since the boarding station is non-checked bag, am I still allowed to carry on 2 more 'checked' size type bags "Up to 50 lbs. and 75 linear inches*" that every other Amtrak passenger who boards at a checked station gets to bring too (so I can be dragging 8 bags total on), or, will I likely be stopped at 6?

2). Would I be able to get on with 8 bags, and then at the next longest stop be able to check 2-4 of those bags to destination?

3). The extra two bags I would pay $20 each for, could they be sized up "Oversized Baggage (76-100 linear inches*) or would sizing up and extra likely be $40 per bag? How about sizing up the other two checked bags for $20 each, so total 4 100" linear inch bags plus the 4 carry on size?
My hubby and I will be boarding a Lincoln Service train in Dwight, IL (unchecked baggage station, no attendants), heading up to Chicago, boarding the CZ westbound, and going straight through to Emeryville, CA in a roomette. Then reversing the process (CZ eastbound to Chicago, then Lincoln Service to Dwight). We are assuming that we will be limited to the "2 personal items + 2 carryons" each allowed at unchecked baggage stations, and may try to keep that to just 2 personal items + 1 carryon each (in my case, purse + crochet backpack + duffel bag), as we'd like to keep most or all of our stuff in our roomette if possible. We will want access to all of our items during the trip anyway, so we have never even considered finding a way to do checked baggage.
(I can understand how people relocating or moving cross-country to attend college might want to bring as much as possible with them on Amtrak, though.)

as long as I can make multiple trips.

This may or may not be allowed. If you have them trainside and you're very quick about it, they may allow it, but they also want to keep the train moving and not delay boarding.

You'll almost certainly be stopped at six, especially if it requires multiple trips. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they stopped you at 4 (2 personal + 2 carry-on) if it requires multiple trips, even though the policy should allow it.

No. You can't bring baggage on beyond the allotment for your station, even if you want to check it at the next available station.

You can probably check one of your carry-ons at Sacramento if you don't want to deal with it on your Coast Starlight leg, but that won't let you get around the baggage limitations on your California Zephyr leg.

I've never tried, but I'd expect only two excess bags allowed for carry-on, and they might not allow those to be excess size as well as excess in number. Anything checked is separate, though must be tendered at a station that accepts checked baggage. Again, you cannot board with excess baggage as a carry-on with the intent to check it at a later station, even if your local station doesn't accept checked baggage.

Back