checked baggage stopped

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thomas k

I will be taking a trip in sepember this year from dearborn michigan to seattle. I understand that my baggage will not be checked in at the dearborn station . I will have to carry my 2 (heavy) suitcases on the train to chicago. Then they will check in the baggage from chicago to seattle. Im paying First class and its not cheep. What happen to this service.

tom

:angry:

Sadly checked baggage at many stations has fallen victim to money saving cost cutting. This is all due to the reluctance of both Congress and the White House to properly fund Amtrak.

Let's just say I work VERY close for Amtrak to where your departing from. Amtrak has slashed the Michigan agents by 50%, resulting in one person working the morning your departing, making it impossible to get everyone ticketed, and trying to check bags also.

To be honest, yes I understand you have paid a lot of money, but the carryon baggage has not been that big of a problem, and really it works out better for the passenger even though you may not think so. There is minimal chance of you not having your luggage upon arrival at either end. Even though we provided the service, your bags especially at this time of year would of been sitting in a snow drift in a cabbage car, or frozen to floor. It was a sorry way to handle luggage, yet Amtrak forced us to do it for years with no concern for the passenger. Or heading back eastbound, with a possible tight connection in

Chicago, your bags would not of arrived with you.

Believe me, it's better this way.

Even though we provided the service, your bags especially at this time of year would of been sitting in a snow drift in a cabbage car, or frozen to floor.
Just to clarify what Amtrak2276 said, a "cabbage" car is a depowered former F-40 engine, which is now used as a cab car when the train operates in "push mode" (engine last). The ex-engine had a sliding door installed on its side, allowing for baggage to be carried inside. Cabbage is a merging of the words "cab" and "baggage". Having the engineer sit in the "cabbage" unit, as opposed to a regular coach, is much safer for him in the unfortunate and unlikely event of a head-on crash.

Also, from my experience, when I've had to wait for my checked baggage to arrive, I've actually missed connections that I could have caught if I had my luggage with me. Taking it on board is no big deal. If it does not fit over your head in coach or inside your sleeper, there is ample room to transport it elsewhere within your car of the train.

Exactly Superliner, thank you for clarifying the "cabbage car" for me....Pure junk, and one of the worst examples of equipment forced down our throats. As I sit here typing this I just thought about the night someone checked boxes, as I was picking them up, the bottoms which were frozen to the floor were peeling open, scattering clothes and belongings all over the icey,rusty floor. I used to take a broom with me into the car, and brush snow off of the bags because I was so ashamed to hand them out to the passengers that way.....The good old days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back