Checked Luggage Drop-off and Pick-up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjibear

Conductor
How long before a train departure can you check your luggage?

How long after the train arrives can you pick up your luggage?

In a station such as Chicago (I think Philly and DC has this too), you pick up your luggage in a separate room off a conveyor about 15 minutes after your train arrives. If you are not there to pick up your bag, what do they do with it and where do you go pick it up?

At smaller stations (like Pittsburgh) when the luggage counter is closed, does the station agent just handle the luggage? I know when I came in on the CAP the room was open and they handed out checked bags but shortly after closed the room. I was just wondering if I didn't pick up my back imediatly would the station agent been able to get my bag?

Yes, at most larger stations, the checked baggage arrives in a separate room. Allow 15-30 minutes for pickup - although at some (like NYP), they say 45 minutes. At some smaller stations, you retrieve your bag(s) right from the luggage cart outside. I have received my bags many times before the train even departed!

At all times, an Amtrak agent verifies that the number on the bag is the same as the number on your baggage claim check. So don't lose it!

If the bag is not claimed upon arrival, it is held in a secure room. They will hold it for 2 days without charge. After that, they will continue to hold the bag, but they charge a daily storage fee.

As far as how early you can check bags, I'm not certain, but I believe 1 day before departure and up to 45 minutes prior to departure.

I know that in Chicago, if you don't pick up your bag for several hours (to sight-see or whatever), they have a phone in the baggage claim area that you can use. You call down with the claim number and description of the bag and someone will bring it up to you.

Most stations probably do things a little different as far as picking up bags.

How long before a train departure can you check your luggage?
It must be checked no later than 45 minutes prior to the schedule departure of the train. And being in the line 45 minutes before departure doesn't count. Although if you hit a nice agent/redcap, they might take pity on you.

As for how far in advance of departure, usually you can check your bags 1 day before departure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back