Checked Luggage Question??

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanghai

Engineer
My question: Can a ticketed passenger check their luggage a day prior to the departure

of their train? I will be departing from New York Penn Station enroute to San Francisco.

Both stations handle checked baggage and the transfer time in Chicago is scheduled for

four hours. I want to check our luggage and collect our tickets the day before we travel

to avoid the hassle on our travel day.

We did this in Denver last year. Showed up the night before to print our tickets and check our bags so we didn't have to get there extra early the next morning and deal with the crowds. The staff was happy to accommodate.

Yes. If you're there early enough for your bags to get on the previous day's train they'll be sent then and held for you at your destination. Amtrak used to hold bags for up to 2 days with no charge but I see they've reduced that to 24 hours.

It looks like you know that even though San Francisco doesn't have an Amtrak station with trains, the Ferry Building is an "Amtrak station," including checked baggage service. That's the only in in SF with that capability. The alternative would be to check the bags to Emeryville and pick them up before you got on the bus across the Bay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back