Checked Luggage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pat Gee

Does luggage which is being checked in have to be in a hard shell case? Can a durable American Tourister polyester suitcase be checked in?

All my bags have been soft-sided, and I have not had a problem checking them. I usually travel with a couple of duffle bags that I may check while carrying a couple more smaller duffels as carryon.

What does Amtrak do about checked luggage when it's raining? I have some soft luggage that can survive a mad dash but will leave everything soaked in a downpour. Since many midway stations feature uncovered platforms along open tracks it seems a little risky.

I checked soft sided luggage no problem.

As to rain at intermediate stations, if you don't pick it up on the cart (the most common method at smaller stations with checked baggage), they'll take it to store in the baggage room.

What does Amtrak do about checked luggage when it's raining? I have some soft luggage that can survive a mad dash but will leave everything soaked in a downpour. Since many midway stations feature uncovered platforms along open tracks it seems a little risky.
That reminds me of an airline connection I made in Phoenix in 2015. Apparently Phoenix doesn’t know how to deal with heavy rain as my checked bag got soaked during the transfer between planes. Luckily I had all my clothes in ziplock bags.

We went to Boston in 2008 on the LSL when it was a train change in Albany. It was raining and I watched our luggage get soaked. There was not much they could do as there were no covered areas when loading/unloading, but they did also not seem in a hurry. We had some wet clothes, but nothing we could not dry out.

That reminds me of an airline connection I made in Phoenix in 2015. Apparently Phoenix doesn’t know how to deal with heavy rain as my checked bag got soaked during the transfer between planes. Luckily I had all my clothes in ziplock bags.
I've had many problems checking luggage on airlines but it does not surprise me that Phoenicians would be clueless about rain. 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back