Checking baggage through

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been a forum member here for many years, and an Amtrak rider for many, many years, though I haven't posted much here in the past several years. I am going on a bit of an Amtrak excursion soon, and wanted to get fellow forum members' thoughts about checking my baggage through, to arrive ahead of me.

Next week I will take my usual trip from Atlanta to New York, a trip that I make once or twice each year. When I leave New York ten days later, I will return to Atlanta via the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago, the City of New Orleans to the Big Easy, then the Crescent back to Atlanta. (I had AGR points burning a hole in my pocket. :p ) I have sleepers all the way, including on the Crescent back to Atlanta. (I was going to do that last leg, a day trip, in coach, but the AGR rep talked me out of it, reminding me about meals, etc.)

I will have one suitcase and a carry-on. I was considering checking the suitcase through to ATL when I leave NYP on Friday afternoon, so I would not need to deal with it until I return to ATL Monday evening. I figure that it will be placed on Saturday afternoon's train 19, arriving in ATL Sunday morning. When I arrive in CHI on train 49 Saturday morning, I plan to stow my carry-on in the Metropolitan Lounge while I do a little train-riding around Chicago, and maybe ride the ferry. I depart Saturday evening on train 59, and arrive in NOL Sunday afternoon. I will spend the night there and leave early Monday morning on train 20, arriving in ATL in the evening, expecting to find my bag waiting there for me.

Any reasons not to do this? I am familiar with the time-consuming, crowded affair that is involved with claiming baggage in ATL, but I have never sent a bag on ahead to that station, so I don't know where in the queue that will leave me. Thoughts? Thanks.

We have checked our bags to a given destination in which we were taking a longer route to arrive. Ex. Cleveland to Merced, CA. Our bags went on the CZ to SAC and then down to Merced on the San Jaoquins. Our tickets were for the TE, SSL, and then bus to Bakersfield and a San Jaoquins to Merced. Our bags were waiting for us when we arrived a day later. I would suppose your plan would work in a similar way and that the Atlanta baggage room would have your bags when you eventually arrive. But there are some stations (perhaps Amtrak policy) that might charge for leaving them more than a day or two without claim. Perhaps another member can add to this conversation with more updated information.

I can't link or cite it but official Amtrak Baggage Policy allows free storeage of arriving baggage for 48 hours @ stations with checked baggage.

After that supposedly the passenger has to pay the standard $4 a day per bag fee that Amtrak charges for day checking luggage. ( except @ WAS and NYP which charge much more!)

Shouldn't be a problem @ all. As you said,just allow for a delay in claiming your bags upon arrival into Atlanta due to the crowds and the single elevator used to get to/from the tracks etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you both. Any suggestions for local el or other commuter trains, during the day in Chicago? I arrive in the morning on the LSL and depart that evening on the CONO. It will be a Saturday. Thanks.

You can ride the L around Chicago on a day pass,great sightseeing, take Metra or Amtrak to numerous places but a run out to Glennview for Lunch @ Grandpa's is sort of an AU must do! Other nice trips on Amtrak/Metra include Joliet and the Hiawatha to Milwaukee!

There's also the Southshore Line out to the Airport in Southbend,Indiana which is a nice trip also!

So much to do in the Windy City, so little time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back