Quantcast

Checking up on Amtrak's (lack of) ADA compliance

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Ashland Train Enthusiast

Service Attendant
I left out of ASD today, and grabbed a picture of the progress. They are wrapping up pulling up bricks from the southern half of the current platform and after talking to the foreman, in the next week they'll start breaking ground on widening the footprint for the new platform.

~ATE

Attachments

neroden

Conductor
So, update time. Back in 1990, Amtrak was given a 2010 deadline to make all stations accessible. Amtrak still has not even made it possible for persons in wheelchairs to board at all stations.

Amtrak is one of only two public transportation operators in the US who is this severely out of compliance with the ADA. (The other is the NY MTA, which is actually much much worse as it is routinely violating the "make it accessible when you do other construction" rule, a rule which literally everyone else including Amtrak has followed consistently.)

So, update time.

The 2014 report:
https://amtrakoig.gov/report-records/audit-reports/train-operations-and-business-management-addressing-management

At the time, there were 17 totally inaccessible stations ("where passengers who use a wheeled mobility device cannot get on or off the train"). Two (Glenwood Springs and Westerly RI) were listed as accessible on Amtrak.com already but had serious problems.

As of January 2019, Buffalo Exchange Street NY was fixed. So were Windsor CT, Windsor Locks CT, and Windsor - Mt Ascutney VT.
It has been confirmed that Clifton Forge VA, Marshall TX, and Paoli PA are accessible now, along with Exton PA (not on the 2014 list) and Mount Joy PA.

State Senator Dinniman is pushing Amtrak and SEPTA hard regarding Coatesville PA and Parkesburg PA, as well as Downingtown PA (which was not on the 2014 list, but was also determined inaccessible following re-evaluation). The endless mystery delays on these really are inexcusable, as the state funding stream ends in three years.
https://www.delcotimes.com/news/ribbon-cutting-held-for-paoli-train-station-project-dinniman-calls/article_b3a41382-de43-11e9-96ad-7f2e375c72e6.html

Downingtown PA is supposely in "preliminary engineering".
Coatesville PA and Parkesburg PA are supposedly "in design" but delayed for unknown reasons.
Coatseville is finally supposed to start construction this fall, according to late-January news.
https://lancasteronline.com/news/regional/work-on-coatesville-s-new-m-train-station-should-start/article_3e768574-380a-11ea-a490-eb12b1f3acac.html

Ashland VA remains under construction to make the platforms more suitable for the wheelchair lift.
Westerly RI has elevator shafts under construction as of Jan 28, 2020: https://www.thewesterlysun.com/news/westerly/photos-elevator-construction-at-westerly-amtrak-station/article_3a11abf6-4211-11ea-a679-e39b07ec9d69.html

Newark DE has not started platform construction, although it's fully funded. It is supposed to be built between fall 2021 and winter 2022. Track relocation is supposed to happen first, and is supposed to happen this year (2020). https://www.acppubs.com/articles/8407-newark-regional-transportation-center-project-aims-to-revitalize-passenger-rail-in-delaware

The following have no reported progress whatsoever, and belong on a wall of shame:
North Philadelphia (elevators exist but are apparently shuttered and not maintaned due to "vandalism" -- wildly illegal)
Glenwood Springs CO (supposedly accessible, though the route is frightening and requires assistance)
Elko NV
Harpers Ferry WV

I believe there is also still an inaccessible platform (for track 27/28) at Washington Union Station which can be reached only with staff assistance.

Of these, Glenwood Springs and Harpers Ferry have substantial ridership and really should be a much higher priority than they apparently are.

-----

The 2014 report did not include the 25 stations which were then classified as "flag stops", all of which now must also be made accessible. (20 have been reclassified as regular stations already). According to a recent report, 10 of them did not have access from the street to the train; I have not found a list of which ten these are, however. These are the flagstops I've found in the old timetables. Except as noted, they all have access from street to platform and the ones served by high-floor trains have wheelchair lifts.

(Crescent route)
1 Gastonia, NC -- missing wheelchair lift
2 Toccoa, GA
3 Laurel, MS
4 Picayune, MS -- inaccessible platform
5 Slidell, LA
(Pennsylvanian Route)
6 Tyrone, PA -- inaccessible platform
7 Latrobe, PA -- inaccessible platform
(Cardinal Route)
8 Alderson, WV -- inaccessible platform
9 Thurmond, WV -- inaccessible platform
10 Crawfordsville, IN -- missing wheelchair lift
(CONO route -- CN must be causing trouble with flag stop reclassification)
11 Fulton, KY (still a flag stop)
12 Newbern-Dyersburg, TN (still a flag stop)
13 Yazoo City, MS (still a flag stop)
14 Hazlehurst, MS (still a flag stop) -- inaccessible platform
15 McComb, MS (still a flag stop)
(Empire Builder route)
16 Essex, MT
(Texas Eagle route)
17 Malvern, AR
18 Arkadelphia, AR
(Sunset Limited route)
19 Schriever, LA
20 New Iberia, LA
21 Sanderson, TX -- inaccessible platform
22 Deming, NM -- inaccessible platform
23 Lordsburg, NM
24 Benson, AZ

(I'm not sure what #25 was -- the New York State Fair, maybe?)

Anyway, I count 8 with inaccessible platforms and 2 more which need wheelchair lifts installed, so that's 10.
Looking these 10 up, I find that construction is underway at two stations:
Gastonia, NC ( https://www.gastongazette.com/news/20200127/improvements-underway-at-amtrak-station-in-gastonia )
Picayune, MS ( https://www.wdsu.com/article/project-will-make-picayune-train-station-more-accessible/30742659 )

Construction is *hoped* to start by the 3rd quarter of 2020 on Latrobe, PA ( https://triblive.com/local/westmoreland/amtrak-latrobe-station-upgrade-could-begin-in-2020/ )

No news on Tyrone, PA; Alderson WV; Thurmond WV; Crawfordsville IN; Hazlehurst, MS; Sanderson TX; or Deming NM.

neroden

Conductor
And coincidentally (?!?) Coatesville and Parkesburg temporarily have no service *at all* as part of coronavirus cutbacks. (Coatesville might not return for Amtrak; SEPTA has promised to expand service to it when the new station opens.)

AmtrakBlue

Conductor
Gathering Team Member
And coincidentally (?!?) Coatesville and Parkesburg temporarily have no service *at all* as part of coronavirus cutbacks. (Coatesville might not return for Amtrak; SEPTA has promised to expand service to it when the new station opens.)
Most, if not all, stops between Philly & Harrisburg are being skipped as part of the COVID-19 cutbacks, so I don’t think is a coincidence

west point

Conductor
Suspect that money for ADA will have to be put on hold throughout the whole US business once the virus problems are mitigated. No spare money for ADA or any thing except to improve the economy.

IndyLions

Lead Service Attendant
There isn't much better at improving the economy than putting money in the hands of hardworking Americans to build things like ADA-compliant projects.
I couldn’t agree more. Kill 2 birds with one stone. And it might encourage some sensible relaxing of some of the red tape that slows some of these projects down.

neroden

Conductor
OK, so in this era where parts of Amtrak's own management are trying to kill Amtrak, this is the ADA update. First, a review of the stations which lacked wheelchair access last time I reported on this:
Ashland VA -- still under construction, supposed to be done this fall
Westerly RI -- elevators under construction last January, no news since then -- anyone visited?
Newark DE -- track relocation was happening, but I have no idea how far they've gotten -- guesses for station accessibility are around 2022 :-(
Coatseville PA -- construction "supposed" to start this fall, no news
Parkesburg PA -- borough council was angry about delays caused by Amtrak as of July. There is a meeting i October to see if Amtrak's asshattery will stop. Revitalization committee to introduce plans for Parkesburg Borough
Downingtown PA -- no news, I presume State Senator Dinniman is still angry
North Philadelphia PA -- lawless criminality, they've locked existing functioning elevators
Glenwood Springs CO -- still requires assistance from an Amtrak agent across bumpy gravel, I believe
Elko NV
Harpers Ferry WV
Gastonia NC -- construction apparently done, still listed as having no wheelchair lift though
Picayune MS -- under construction
Latrobe PA -- no news since last time
Crawfordsville IN -- still listed as having no wheelchair lift -- seriously, that's all it needs
Hazlehurst MS
Sanderson TX
Deming NM

Amtrak has apparently not taken advantage of the 2020 construction season to do anything much on its legal obligations, now a full decade overdue, and is making many Pennsyvlania government officials angry with unnecessary delays and attempts to extort money. I'm not seeing any pattern of host obstruction either; they're delaying work on stations on track owned by Amtrak, CSX, NS, CN, and UP, on stations with joint responsibility and on stations which are Amtrak's sole responsibility, and even on stations which just need a wheelchair lift enclosure. Might be time for another ADA lawsuit.

brianpmcdonnell17

Conductor
OK, so in this era where parts of Amtrak's own management are trying to kill Amtrak, this is the ADA update. First, a review of the stations which lacked wheelchair access last time I reported on this:
Ashland VA -- still under construction, supposed to be done this fall
Westerly RI -- elevators under construction last January, no news since then -- anyone visited?
Newark DE -- track relocation was happening, but I have no idea how far they've gotten -- guesses for station accessibility are around 2022 :-(
Coatseville PA -- construction "supposed" to start this fall, no news
Parkesburg PA -- borough council was angry about delays caused by Amtrak as of July. There is a meeting i October to see if Amtrak's asshattery will stop. Revitalization committee to introduce plans for Parkesburg Borough
Downingtown PA -- no news, I presume State Senator Dinniman is still angry
North Philadelphia PA -- lawless criminality, they've locked existing functioning elevators
Glenwood Springs CO -- still requires assistance from an Amtrak agent across bumpy gravel, I believe
Elko NV
Harpers Ferry WV
Gastonia NC -- construction apparently done, still listed as having no wheelchair lift though
Picayune MS -- under construction
Latrobe PA -- no news since last time
Crawfordsville IN -- still listed as having no wheelchair lift -- seriously, that's all it needs
Hazlehurst MS
Sanderson TX
Deming NM

Amtrak has apparently not taken advantage of the 2020 construction season to do anything much on its legal obligations, now a full decade overdue, and is making many Pennsyvlania government officials angry with unnecessary delays and attempts to extort money. I'm not seeing any pattern of host obstruction either; they're delaying work on stations on track owned by Amtrak, CSX, NS, CN, and UP, on stations with joint responsibility and on stations which are Amtrak's sole responsibility, and even on stations which just need a wheelchair lift enclosure. Might be time for another ADA lawsuit.
On the topic of Sanderson specifically, I noticed when passing through on #1 last month that an entirely new platform is under construction, which is somewhat surprising considering how little ridership there is there.

bms

Service Attendant
North Philadelphia station is in really deplorable condition. Amtrak needs to fix up that station and staff it. I guess they didn't have the courage to close it, so they kept it open with barely any Amtrak service and zero maintenance.

Willbridge

Lead Service Attendant
Yes...you are also correct, on the Eastward trains....noticed that the local New York/Pittsburgh mid day train, the "Juniata". also went via 30th Street Station. They did not wye them...they rode backwards between New York and Philly. Looking at the Oct 1968 TT's here... Penn Central Railroad Public Timetables
I always wondered if those Pennsy 30th Street deviations were warranted or were a compromise with regulators. There was a similar situation with Jersey City after Penn Station opened, except those trains didn't cross the Hudson.

west point

Conductor
1st problem that ADA platforms have to stay away from freight RRs track as the freight trins are wider than passenger cars (clearance plate "H" ). Any new platform work is requiring whole platform to be ADA compliant as happened in Roanoke. So a new station on a freight RR will require either a Gaunlet track ( 2 switch machines, 4 hardened points ) or separate platform track ( 2switch machines, 4 [points , and 2 frogs) Both require signals at each end of tracks, Double that for stations with platforms on both sides of 2 or more main tracks.

2nd Ownership of station platforms not the station itself freight RRs do not want anything to do with the upgrades..( liability issues ? )

3rd costs and permits --- delays everywhere

Willbridge

Lead Service Attendant
This is not an uncommon way to arrange for on-going work that is not presently defined to the point of allowing fixed cost bidding. These types of so-called "blanket" contracts are based on time and material and other unit costs such as mobilization and demobilization. The unit costs for contracts that last more than a year or so may include escalation based on an agreed upon formula. There is usually a floor that gives the contractor knowledge of the minimum volume of work over the life of the contract. As jobs roll out, blanket contractors are assigned and the cost of each job is based on the contract units.

Blanket contracts permit small-scale jobs to go from final plans and approvals to construction very quickly.
My former employer used this purchasing technique on a yearly basis. I think our undefined emergency work was also included - for example, potholes opening up a critical spots.

railiner

Conductor
I always wondered if those Pennsy 30th Street deviations were warranted or were a compromise with regulators. There was a similar situation with Jersey City after Penn Station opened, except those trains didn't cross the Hudson.
I don't know if it was required by regulators, or just volunteered for 'political' reason's....to placate the "pride" of their home town, for example. Otherwise, some media might chastise them for offering thru service to The West from New York, but not from the heart of Philadelphia (gasp!):)

Cho Cho Charlie

Conductor
At the time, there were 17 totally inaccessible stations ("where passengers who use a wheeled mobility device cannot get on or off the train"). Two (Glenwood Springs and Westerly RI) were listed as accessible on Amtrak.com already but had serious problems.
Is Amtrak itself the owner of all 17 of these stations?

I also did a quick check, and found that...

1. Existing Facilities.
For existing facilities, Title III of the ADA requires that public accommodations remove "architectural barriers" and "communication barriers" that are structural in nature in existing facilities when it is "readily achievable" to do so.

• Readily Achievable. Removal is "readily achievable" when it is "easily accomplishable" and able to be carried out "without much difficulty or expense."​