CHI --> CVS (part 2)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburden

Train Attendant
Saturday, Feb 25, 2023

During my layover in Chicago I walked up Canal then took a right on Madison and headed for Reckless Records. I spent about
30 minutes and 4 times that in dollars buying a bunch of albums. I was hoping they could ship them, but they said they hadn't
really started up that process since all the shortages so I ended up carrying them out of the store in a bag. I wandered
further east to hang out with The Bean for a bit. I think we both enjoyed the time together..... Then it was off to
Garrett's Popcorn on Jackson. I had planned to buy a big tin and have it shipped back to the school bus garage for the
other drivers. However, they said they only ship things through the web site, not the stores. Oh well, I was already
carrying 7 albums in a paper bag, at least I ended up with a large plastic bag with handles to carry the tin! So, with
a bag holding vinyl and popcorn (Buffalo Ranch popcorn!) I headed further up Jackson to Giordano's for lunch. I made
it halfway through a small deep dish pizza: pepperoni, broccoli, mushroom and green olives. Hey, at least I didn't put
pineapple on it... They rest was boxed up for much later and joined the popcorn and albums in the bag.

Back to Union Station and the Metropolitan Lounge. I hung out up stairs for a bit then downstairs after they boarded a
few trains and it thinned out a bit. They had lots of snacks available for those that hadn't just eaten half a small
deep dish pizza, and it was constantly being replenished which was nice to see. I did snag two chocolate chip cookies
and a bottle of water for emergency provisions. Yes, they went into the bag too.

They started boarding the Cardinal at 5:25p so I wandered down to track #28 and got on car 5000 and settled into roomette
#8. First thing I noticed was that it didn't have a toilet in the room. Apparently the newer cars did away with them.
I guess that is a First World problem for me.

The car attendant, Bryan or Byron or Bryant, I'll have to double check on that, took my dinner order and confirmed
there is no Diner on this run, so we are confined to our rooms. I could have asked about the cafe car, but didn't. I
might check later. I had the chicken with wine. The best part of the dinner, besides the chardonnay, was the Frank &
Louise's butter cake for dessert! Train food used to be a major highlight of the trip, not anymore.

Another First World problem, no WiFi. The service showed up, but it could not connect. At least I have my scanner,
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas in paperback and tons of music on my phone.

The GPS on my phone shows we have been cruising at a max speed of 60mph as far as Renssellaer, IN. Wonder if the pace
will pick up further on.

I tried the shower in the sleeping car, but after 5 minutes of it just dripping cold water I gave up and freshened up in
my room even though there was no hot or warm water there either.

Sunday, Feb 26, 2023

Overnight we kept good time and the GPS on my phone showed that we hit 81mph at some point. I got up at the Huntington,
WV stop and ordered breakfast from Bryant ("with a 'T'"), pancakes and orange juice.

The layout of the lower bunk in the new cars is not as comfortable for sleeping as the older ones. The arm rests
stick out as does the little shelf under the sink, however, both the arm rests and shelf are useful during the day,
so it's a wash I guess. Still, it's all good and a great way to travel.

The pancakes and sausages were decent, rolling through the early morning fog of West Virginia.

A notice came over the scanner for the as we were heading for Alderson, WV. A freight train was parked on the siding at
MP 338.8 with smoke coming from one of the engines. They said it was safe to pass, but could we slow down and take a look
as we were passing. They said the conductor of the freight train was heading back to the engine to check it out too.
As we were getting closer I heard the crew of the freight train say there were flames near the back of the second engine
and asked dispatcher to call the local fire department. I couldn't see anything as we passed by, but I took a video so
maybe something will be on that if I go frame by frame.

Then, as we were approaching the Clifton Forge stop the dispatcher told our crew to expect at least a 30 minute
delay at the station. Another freight train was 'struggling' on the main line past the station so they had to
send a rescue crew from the yard and drag it back. This gave everyone a chance to get some fresh air and stretch their
legs. Nice and sunny and around 50 degs outside. Definitely paper mill country though, couldn't miss the 'aroma' in the
air.

I had forgotten how many tunnels there are on this run. Also, I was on the left side of the train which has good views
at the start of the New River Gorge, but we switched sides of the river before the Bungee Bridge so had to move to the
Cafe car to get a good view.

Back at Clifton Forge - while out walking around I chatted with the engine crew for a bit. They commented that the 30
minute delay in 'train talk' more likely meant an hour. They were pretty close, it took an hour and 20 minutes for
them to drag the other train back to the yard.

Further down the line after we passed Staunton, a call came from the dispatcher with a BOLO for pedestrians on the rails
at MP 208.4. Then we had to pull over on the siding in Ivy to let a looooooong freight train pass the other way. We
lost another 15 minutes there, but eventually made it to Charlottesville where I got off.

Another enjoyable train ride, even with the delays, because I was not under any time pressure. I miss the food from
previous trips, but I didn't go hungry (the half a pizza in Chicago helped with that!) I have a few days off in CVS
and then I will catch a NE Regional to WIL then the Acela and Empire State back to Albany. I'll drop reports on those
as well.

Back