CHI-LAX Southwest Chief

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

v v

Conductor
AU Supporter
Some interesting observations, enjoying travelling with you, thanks

Larry H.

OBS Chief
Just curious but I always thought that room was for handicapped people, I didn't know anyone could purchase it?

AmtrakBlue

Conductor
Gathering Team Member
Just curious but I always thought that room was for handicapped people, I didn't know anyone could purchase it?
Handicap rooms go on sale to the general public 14 days before departure....if any are available.

Shortline

Conductor
This wasn't the H room. This was the Family room. Roughly the same size, but the Family room, designed to sleep 2 adults and two smaller children, has the same upper and lower couch and bunks as a Bedroom (which I like, the larger lower berth), across the car, with two child bunks (something like 4'8" long) length wise. The Handicap room has typical roomette seats and upper/lower berths, on one side, and toilet/sink facilities with a curtain on the other side with a lot of empty space in between, for wheelchairs/power scooters, etc.

I prefer bedrooms. But the bedroom was almost $700 more than the price of the Family room. So I chose it. Selfish? Maybe, but for that much of a price difference, I managed to sleep just fine.....Was great, having all that space. I can do a roomette for a 1 night trip, but for two nights or more, I really prefer the larger rooms, when possible. In this case, the F room, was only marginally more expensive than the Roomette. A no brainer, for me.

Bob Dylan

Conductor
In my opinion, the H Room on a Viewliner ( Single Level) is the Best Room that Amtrak has and the H Room on a Superliner ( Bi-Level)is the Worst! YMMV