CHI to Alex, VA Options

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jannie

Train Attendant
The Cardinal/Hoosier seems to go directly to Alexandria, VA (which is my actual distination). But wondering about the Capitol Limited. I would guess there is a communter train from DC to Alex, but I'll have 2 suitcases to get on to the communter train. Wondering what is the best train or a toss up? Will probably get a sleeper (roomette).

There's the Metro and VRE (commuter trains) or you could take an Amtrak Regional which have ample room for luggage in the racks above the seats or at one end of the car.

If you put in CHI and ALX on the booking page, you'll see the regional options listed as the 2nd train (w/guaranteed connection). They even list a few LD trains, but they may cost more.

The DC Metro is not that difficult to navigate with suitcases. The WMATA Metro is fully ADA compliant, so there are elevators at each station, including between the platform levels at the transfer stations. The system also widely uses escalators, people routinely use them with suitcases in tow. From DC Union Station, the elevators to the mezzanine and to the platform level are on the north end entrance which is close to the Amtrak/VRE/MARC platforms and passenger boarding/arrival area. From there, take the Red Line to Gallery Place, transfer to the lower level via elevator or escalator and take a Yellow Line train south to King Street which is the Metro station adjacent to the Alexandria Amtrak/VRE station. You will have to buy a SmarTrip card to use the Metro, which are now available at all the ticket machines at $2 plus whatever $ you add to the card. If I was arriving at WAS on the Capitol Limited and needed to get to Alexandria, i take the Metro.

That said, the DC Metro is undergoing a major track work blitz for the next 10 months called SafeTrack. From July 5 (8 PM) through July 18, the Yellow and Blue Lines are scheduled to be shut down in two phases in Virginia on either side of the National Airport station. If you are arriving on the CL during that period, then Amtrak or VRE from WAS to ALX would be a better option. However, VRE is a commuter service, the trains are primarily inbound to DC in the morning rush period, outbound (southbound) in the evening rush period.

An Amtrak Regional train from WAS to Alexandria is about $13. And a lot less hassle than taking the Metro and having to transfer from Red Line to Blue or Yellow line trains. Just one opinion. :) And also cheaper than a cab :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks this is very helpful, I wasn't aware of the regional Amtrak, and because of the track repairs that might be better.

An Amtrak Regional train from WAS to Alexandria is about $13. And a lot less hassle than taking the Metro and having to transfer from Red Line to Blue or Yellow line trains. Just one opinion. :) And also cheaper than a cab :eek:
The one advantage to Metro is the Amtrak Regionals are reserved trains. If the CL is late and you miss your connection you have to reschedule which involves waiting in a long line in Union Station with all the other ppl who missed their connection (it happened to me once).

Chances are good that booking from CHI to ALX and CHI to WAS isn't much different. If I were you and I missed my connection, I'd just eat the WAS-ALX leg and hop on Metro rather than wait in line.

Jannie, if you buy a ticket from wherever to Alexandria and ask for a routing via the capitol Ltd, Amtrak will throw in the Regional connection for a fare that is much much lower than $13. Just something to keep in mind.

Jannie, if you buy a ticket from wherever to Alexandria and ask for a routing via the capitol Ltd, Amtrak will throw in the Regional connection for a fare that is much much lower than $13. Just something to keep in mind.
I was curious about the difference between WAS and ALX. Checking a random day, it was $98 to WAS and to $99 to ALX via a NER. LD trains were more.

Last October, my wife and I traveled from Denver to Culpeper, VA (a few stations beyond Alexandria) on the California Zephyr, the Capitol Limited and NE Regional Train 171. They threw in the trip on Regional Train 171 for no extra charge. We checked our bags to Washington and then used redcap service from the Club Acela (we had access because we were in sleepers into Washington) onto the Regional train. So, the only place we had to wrestle luggage was at our final destination and the conductors helped us with that. I don't know how old you are or how adept your are at wrestling luggage, but the Regional train (with redcap service) seemed much easier to us. Of course, you'd want to tip the redcaps for their hard work!

BTW, redcaps have always done a good job for us. One time, our redcap recognized that a business car was subbing for a coach car on a NE Regional (departing Philadelphia) and got us into a great seat in that car. Needless to say, he earned a good tip!

Where, exactly, in Alexandria are you ultimately going? If someone is picking you up at King St in the end anyhow, midday weekday a car can still cover Union Station to Alexandria faster than anything that's not Marine One.

To clarify: "Alexandria" covers a surprisingly large area. Everything from Springfield to Mount Vernon to Crystal City sports the name, but the City of Alexandria is compact. You may be bound somewhere that King St just complicates the trip and you could end up in a situation where Union Station --> Metro to Pentagon --> Bus is a better idea than Union Station --> ALX --> Metro to get where you want to be or something.

Also, be aware Metro gets picky about luggage during the 3-7 rush because it eats up space for humans. I've seen (some of the very few good) station managers intercept people at the fare gates that have luggage and bikes during the rushes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the hotel has a shuttle that will pick me up in Alexandria at a train or bus station.

I also want to do some sightseeing so might try to drop off early rent a car and bring back to same location or drive to Alexandria and drop off the car there. I saw a train goes through Harpers Ferry, or perhaps pick the train back up in Culpepper, VA

I wonder if there is a separate regional schedule on the Amtrak site, I haven't really checked that out. Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back