Chicago Connections (better west to east for making connections)?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Am I correct in thinking, when planning a one way cross country trip connecting in Chicago, that I would probably be better off booking West To East because of odds making connections in Chi Town? I ask this because I'm thinking of a trip (STP-SAC or SAC-STP) so this Florida Boy can experience another SNOW TRIP! BTW, any photos of your current travels in that "white stuff" would be appreciated

Your connection would be much more secure going west rather than east. From the CL to the CZ, only 2% of connections were missed over the past year vs. 24% eastbound. Going west would also allow you to see Chicago during the daytime and give guaranteed daylight on the portion of the route leaving Denver.

I think connections from Florida are safer going from East to West. I had no problem with my recent cross country trip. However, I scheduled an overnight in Chicago on my return because I was concerned about connecting from the Empire Builder to the Capitol Limited. I took the California Zephyr westbound. I saw plenty of snow. My favorite photo is one I took out the window when we were in the Sierra Nevada mountains 55F61BC5-D994-4C12-BFA0-3778E69F1CAC.jpeg

I think connections from Florida are safer going from East to West. I had no problem with my recent cross country trip. However, I scheduled an overnight in Chicago on my return because I was concerned about connecting from the Empire Builder to the Capitol Limited. I took the California Zephyr westbound. I saw plenty of snow. My favorite photo is one I took out the window when we were in the Sierra Nevada mountains View attachment 16381
Nice Shot!!!

Going east to west, you arrive in CHI in the morning and depart mid afternoon. Going west to East, you arrive CHI in the afternoon and depart a few hours later.

If anything, an overnight going eastbound would be recommended. (Although I’ve done it many times without one.)

Now I’m getting excited about my trip on No. 6 to spend a couple of days in WIP!
Thanks for the “appetizers “

I have made a number of connections in Chicago from the Lake Shore to the western trains. Have never missed a westbound connection (yet).

We have missed an eastbound connection from the Zephyr to the Lake Shore a few years back.

I've missed the Capitol Limited from Train 6, but a quick agent got me onto the Lake Shore Limited with five minutes to spare, then on the NEC to PHL. Boy did I get a glare from the fellow sitting next to me, as he was getting set up to use both seats for a nice coach night's sleep. Tried the CZ > CL connection again and Train 6 ran seven hours late. We were treated to a hotel room and taxi and meal vouchers till the next day. The CL lost a couple of hours near the end of the ride, to complete the process of missing the first day of a conference. Oh, how I wished for the Three Rivers or a reasonable facsimile thereof!

Westbound once we made a ten minute connection from the Cardinal to Train 5 and my checked baggage made it, too. Otherwise no problems westbound, though I'd never promise that.

Back