Chicago Hotel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainmans daughter

OBS Chief
After Christmas, my granddaughter and I are going to Virginia with a 1-night layover in Chicago. I found a good rate at the Hilton at 720 S. Michigan Ave. Besides it being a good price, it is close to the Field Museum and the Shedd Aquarium which I thought we might go to before the Cap Ltd leaves the next day. Not being familiar with Chicago neighborhoods, I hope someone in the know can tell me if this is a relatively safe area for a granny and a little girl. We aren't inclined to hang out at basketball courts at night, so that won't be a problem.

Thanks for any words of wisdon you can give.

:hi: Nice find!This is a Historic Hotel, it served as the Headquarters for the 1968 Democratic Convention and has had many Famous People stay here! Its right on the Park and across from the Lake and in the Middle of the Best of Chicago!(Shopping/Museums etc.) It has been completely Renovated (Please Google it up for Pictures/Descriptions etc.)Plenty of Transportation,available Cabs, Busses , the L etc. Should be safe as in your own Home!Have a Blast, Grandchildren are Another Chance to Get it right! :wub:

You'll be fine. That's a very busy area right by Buckingham Fountain and Lake Michigan, so you'll have a really pretty view if your room faces east. :) If it faces north or west, you'll have a nice view of the skyscrapers. You're right on Michigan Ave, so you'll have access to the bus route(s) for the Museum Campus as well; or, it's a quick taxi ride if it's really cold that day.

One thing to note: the Field Museum is HUGE. Since you want to see Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum in the same day, I would pick a few exhibits you want to see at the Field Museum instead of trying to do the whole thing. Sue the dinosaur is right in front as you enter, so you won't miss that no matter what. :) You should be able to do Shedd Aquarium in 2-3 hours, depending on whether or not you watch a dolphin show or linger in the kid areas.

I'm not sure what day of the week you're going, but if it's a weekend, I highly recommend purchasing your tickets online ahead of time since the lines can get pretty long when the weather is cold/snowy and people want to do something indoors. We went to Shedd in December, and when it started raining, the line went all the way back to the parking lot. We waited about an hour and a half just to get inside and then another 20-30 minutes to buy tickets.

If you're going on a weekday, many of the local museums/attractions have a "free day". The day varies, depending on the museum/attraction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not really familiar with the different areas of Chicago, but I can tell you that Michigan Avenue is the "well known street" for shopping in Chicago. Like 5th Avenue is in NYC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, everybody! At first, I was really happy to snag a room there for only $79, but then I got suspicious. The words to Bad, Bad Leroy Brown started turning over in my head about the South side of Chicago being the "baddest part of town" I didn't know if that part of town included the hotel area!

Also, thanks for the museum, aquarium tips We'll probably choose one or the other and not try to do both in one day. We'll be there on a Sunday, so buying tickets ahead of time is a great idea, Sarah. I hadn't thought about that. Also, it's during Christmas Break, so I'm sure there will be crowds.

You may want to check out the Christmas window displays at Macy's on Michigan Ave.

You may want to check out the Christmas window displays at Macy's on Michigan Ave.
The main Macy's is on state street and was the old Marshall Fields. There is a Macy's on Michigan, it is in Water Tower Place.

Aren't the fancy Christmas displays at the State Street location, if I remember correctly?

Joeker, on 25 Sept 2013 - 2:13 PM, said: You may want to check out the Christmas window displays at Macy's on Michigan Ave.

While there is a Macy's on North Michigan Ave., the State Street Macy's is the flagship Marshall Field's store with the classic Christmas window displays.

Thanks, everybody! At first, I was really happy to snag a room there for only $79, but then I got suspicious. The words to Bad, Bad Leroy Brown started turning over in my head about the South side of Chicago being the "baddest part of town" I didn't know if that part of town included the hotel area!

Also, thanks for the museum, aquarium tips We'll probably choose one or the other and not try to do both in one day. We'll be there on a Sunday, so buying tickets ahead of time is a great idea, Sarah. I hadn't thought about that. Also, it's during Christmas Break, so I'm sure there will be crowds.
The area you're in isn't the infamous "South Side". The address is South Michigan, but you're still in the Loop. Once you get south of Chinatown (22nd Street-ish), it gets iffy. You won't be anywhere near the iffy/sketchy areas. :)

If a person is going to be in Chicago a few days, it might be worth getting the City Pass. I got it the last time I was there and was able to bypass the long line in front of the Shedd Aquarium and get right in. You have to be going to other museums/attractions to make it worth the cost. I believe the Willis Tower, Museum of Science and Industry, Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium are sites one can see. There are a couple of alternate sites but I can't recall what they are. In any case, we found the City Pass to be a godsend at the aquarium.

South Side's not that bad at all. I hung out around there on my 2012 trip. The most dangerous part is probably Cicero. $79 really is a great deal for the Hilton, I stayed at the Holiday Inn Skokie for $75 last year. Be sure to ride the "L" even though it's quite slow compared to other rapid transit. And buy a CTA pass.

You may see Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant) changing his clothes in Marshall Field's window :)
A girl can dream, can't she?
Thanks for all your help, everyone. I've checked out the amazing history of this hotel and am very excited to be staying there.

Groupon has a great deal for the "Total Experience" pass at Shedd:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/shedd-aquarium-5

It gives you access to all of the exhibits, the Jellies, the 4D experience, and the aquatic show (dolphins, etc).
Well Darn! I just went online to get more info about the Groupon offer and it expires 12/25. We'll be there on the 29th. But I'd appreciate it if you keep the ideas coming. Thanks!

We're going there by train for Thanksgiving. How did you get that deal? Hotwire?

We're going there by train for Thanksgiving. How did you get that deal? Hotwire?
It was through the hotel direct. I thought rooms would be higher during Christmas break, but maybe the opposite is true. Then again, maybe they just really, really like me!

You may see Roger Thornhill (Cary Grant) changing his clothes in Marshall Field's window :)
A girl can dream, can't she?
Thanks for all your help, everyone. I've checked out the amazing history of this hotel and am very excited to be staying there.
It was built originally as the Stevens Hotel in 1927, and with its original 3,000 rooms, was for a time the world's largest. It was probably best known for many years as the flagship 'Conrad Hilton', named for the founder of the hotel chain that purchased it shortly after World War Two. It has been renamed a few more times, and rebuilt through the years, but it remains an iconic landmark on the lakefront...

Great pictures. What a fantastic find. Thanks! And thanks for the history of the hotel, Railiner. More excited than ever. Since I made the reservations, time has slowed down. I'm afraid my hubby and friends will be so sick of me talking about this trip, they'll be really glad to see me go!

:cool: Fantastic Find Sarah! Thanks for Posting! :hi:

And just like Old Train Menus, Ads etc. the Prices seem Low, but this was Back in the Days of "Brother Can You Spare a Dime?" so things weren't as Cheap as they Look!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back